Talk

Advanced search

Comfort travelling long haul

(8 Posts)
EliseC1965 Mon 28-May-18 09:11:18

We have a flight in 3 weeks to Miami, then a 3 night stopover and onto Turks and Caicos for 10 nights, then back with only a couple of hours at Miami.

I love going away but I get so uncomfortable (economy) with restless legs and swollen ankles. I was thinking about buying the legs up hammock flylegsup.co.uk/ but it’s not cheap (still cheaper than an upgrade though).

Has anyone else tried this, or the inflatable cushions on Amazon.
Or is there anything else I can do, apart from walking a lot on the plane?

OP’s posts: |
Bellebelle Mon 28-May-18 09:18:37

Watching this with interest as I never manage to sleep on planes due to being so uncomfortable and might invest in one of these legs up things.

I tend to take loads of blankets with me and try to get a window seat so that I can lean against the wall/window. DH manages to sleep upright but I find that impossible.

Only other thing that helps me with restless/sore legs is getting up every hour or so, walking around and stretching a bit if there’s space.

SisterA Mon 28-May-18 10:22:21

Cheaper than a full upgrade is paying for bulkhead seats if there are any left with extra leg room. We did this for a flight from LA to London and it made suuuuch a huge difference. It was about £50 each but worth sooooo much more in terms of comfort on a long haul.

TroubledLichen Mon 28-May-18 14:21:31

Will your airline(s) let you use that? I know some have banned them due to safety concerns. Definitely call them to ask, if you haven’t already, before you spend a ton of money on it. I also second the advice that it’s worth paying for the bulkhead seats but take extra socks as it can get drafty.

Dinosaursdontgrowontrees Mon 28-May-18 14:24:08

I also thought they were banned on most airlines?

AttilaTheMeerkat Mon 28-May-18 19:40:42

I would check with the airline in question before purchasing as many airlines have banned these types of products for safety reasons.

AskMeHow Tue 29-May-18 16:03:54

Buy emergency exit or seats right at the front for extra legroom. Premium economy if you can afford it.

Otherwise, loose comfy clothes, take your shoes off, put cosy socks on. I think it's just uncomfortable to fly long haul tbh, but extra legroom if you can get it is worth the cost.

kingseat2016 Tue 29-May-18 20:25:12

Yep banned on most flights now.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in