Talk

Advanced search

Recommend me a holiday please - fly and flop for us, activities for teens

(11 Posts)
KeithLeMonde Thu 24-May-18 09:45:14

After a busy and stressful couple of years, DH and I have decided to book ourselves a lazy beach holiday for next year. Either Easter or Summer school holidays.

Can anyone recommend somewhere lovely that has good facilities for teens (they're happy reading by the pool for a couple of hours at a time but not for two weeks). AI/Half Board... ideally somewhere we can snorkel smile We were thinking Indian Ocean or SE Asia but are open to suggestions.

OP’s posts: |
BubblesBuddy Thu 24-May-18 15:19:30

Depending how much you want to spend, how about a skippered boat in the BVIs. Check if they are sailing out of Tortola ok. You can flop a bit before you get on board or after and whilst on the boat. The islands are all different and are waiting to be explored.

We have also done beach and safari in Kenya and Tanzania. Something for everyone if you don’t mind early starts for the safari. It’s a bit more exciting than a beach resort.

SubtitlesOn Thu 24-May-18 15:33:42

MALDIVES for Christmas and/or Easter

They could get their PADI there if they don't already have it

If you get island with tennis, basketball, snooker tables etc

Of course they could just snorkel and swim

Amazing locals

Or if you want to go further FIJI and COOK ISLANDS are also wonderful

smilesmilesmilesmilesmilesmilesmilesmilesmilesmilesmilesmilesmile

KeithLeMonde Thu 24-May-18 16:21:25

Thanks both.

Bubbles, we've never done anything like that as we are not boat-y people but it does sound lovely. How do you go about finding a boat that's available - are there websites I can take a look at?

Subtitles, Maldives are definitely on the list - are there any particular islands or resorts that you would recommend? I absolutely love Fiji, it's one of my favourite places in the world and close to my heart for a number of reasons, but probably too far for us to travel this time.

SubtitlesOn Thu 24-May-18 19:01:51

WE went to BANDOS both times smilesmilesmilesmilesmilesmile

We needed to be near to medical facilities (for reasons that I don't really want to go into now) and BANDOS have excellent medical staff based on the island

We went B&B both times as we liked going to eat/drink in all of the restaurants without the restriction of full or half board

We flew independently via Changi as our holidays were on the way to Australia but think you can do package holidays there and other islands

smilesmilesmilesmilesmilesmilesmilesmilesmilesmilesmile

SubtitlesOn Thu 24-May-18 19:10:31

sorry not sure the other link works properly

Hopefully this one will work better

smilesmilesmilesmile

KeithLeMonde Thu 24-May-18 21:53:57

Thanks, it does work - I will have a look smile

Daisymay2 Thu 24-May-18 22:00:05

have you considered a cruise? Our boys enjoyed the activities, ( one was annoyed as he had his 18th on board and had to leave the club for the oldest group) we met up in the pool during the day sometimes but we flopped during the day and they had a ball.

KeithLeMonde Fri 25-May-18 20:18:45

Thanks Daisy.... I've always thought I might go stir crazy on a cruise although TBH it is probably less restricted than an island in the Maldives! Who did you go with?

Daisymay2 Wed 30-May-18 18:09:44

We have been with P&O on several occasions. There clubs seemed to be good. I liked it because my perpetually starving children could eat whenever- think breakfast at 2 in the morning if they were chatting with mates. Plenty of activities and in early teens could wonder around without us safely and because of the system with ID cards could not buy alcohol.
The secret is a good mix of ports and sea days. Our boys loved the Baltic cruise- but both into history and both did GCSE Russian at school so were a hit with the guides who were impressed that they knew any Russian at all!!!
Other friends thought that Carnival were good - I think they haev climbing walls.

BubblesBuddy Thu 31-May-18 19:07:22

BVI’s have a number of yacht sites with boats for hire. You need a skipper and cook. You normally have one for a week and then stay elsewhere if you want 2 weeks. I’m just not sure if Tortola is ok after the hurricane. The huge advantage of Tortola is that the sailing around a circuit of islands is never more than around 2 hours to each one. They are all beautiful though. There are bars like The Soggy Dollar and you can sail to Dead Mans Chest Island. It’s cheaper at Easter.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in