Talk

Advanced search

Are Norwegian Airlines ok for long haul,why are they so cheap?

(25 Posts)
Toomanytealights Sun 20-May-18 20:53:06

Quotes we've had they're nearly 2 thirds cheaper. Must be a catch surely.

Musicalstatues Sun 20-May-18 20:58:07

Your quote may not include food and bags? Or even blankets etc. They are no frills and ‘extras’ need to be paid for separately.

We flew with them to LA last year. Had no problems whatsoever. Comfy seats, nice staff, all on time. We flew out PE which included food etc but on the way back it was economy which basically included nothing.

CarolineForbes Sun 20-May-18 21:00:22

I just flew with them. You have to pay extra for bags and food etc. I just got my own food from Pret pre flight as it was way cheaper that way! There were also only about five films to watch so I didn’t bother.
It is very no frills but it was worth saving all the extra money to me

Glitteryfrog Sun 20-May-18 21:00:54

Totally fine - its like easy jet but without the constant sales.
We paid extra for food and luggage.

There are screens on back of the seats, usb charging and you can order food and pay by card.
Long haul is boring, why pay more to be bored?

Johnnyfinland Sun 20-May-18 21:01:53

They're great, much nicer planes than United if you're going to the US. They're cheap because they don't include any extras - you have to buy checked baggage, food and blankets etc on the plane, and there's no wifi on board. Bring your own pillows and snacks and you'll be fine

TroubledLichen Sun 20-May-18 23:38:18

Yep done it in their ‘premium’ class, 1000x better than BA premium economy (you get perks like fast track security that other airlines only give to business class). We got free food/booze, the food was vile though, would take my own if going again. Probably wouldn’t do it again but only because I refuse to take DD on an overnight flight.

Toomanytealights Mon 21-May-18 07:53:49

Thanks for all that. I'm guessing safetywise they're ok? Why are Virgin so expensive now?

BubblesBuddy Mon 21-May-18 09:34:53

The catch is: they are losing money. They have huge debt. Their investors are very jittery. Something needs to change! Read the FT analysis. They have one of the worst reliability records. They are on a knife edge.

I am amazed they are so much cheaper. DD flew with them recently and it was £90 cheaper on a flight back from NY. However it goes into Gatwick (that’s cheaper landing fees) but it didn’t actually go anywhere as the flight was cancelled. She arrived back 10 hours late.

I would check what quotes you have from the other airlines. The difference is too great. BA, AA have multiple flights daily. They have a large array of prices and flight times. You may be comparing Norwegian cheap with the most expensive popular times offered by the scheduled airlines. Look at BAs or Virgins actual web site for comparisons. I think the schedule is worth something. It’s way more reliable. I think the scheduled airlines are making profits and are not likely to cease trading! They charge what they need to charge!

EnglishGirlApproximately Mon 21-May-18 09:40:14

Virgin seem to be struggling since becoming direct and no selling through agents, they’ve cut lots of flights from their schedule this year. Norwegian are fine OP, low cost no frills long haul but I’d use them over United any day.

MsGameandWatching Mon 21-May-18 13:32:06

I've flown with them four times, twice long haul. Honestly they were fine. The long haul were overnight flights so lots of sleeping but I really couldn't choose between them, BA and Virgin
Atlantic. I wouldn't hesitate to fly with them again. Make sure you add luggage on though, it's a massive pain if you don't and then have to add on at the airport.

Curlybrunette Tue 22-May-18 20:27:36

We flew home from LA with them last year, as others have said no food or luggage but I just bought food at the airport and as it was a night flight I slept through most of the flight (a first for me, I never normally can).

I wouldn't hesitate to fly with them again

Fortysix Tue 22-May-18 20:35:43

My daughter flew with them yesterday, on time, clean plane cheerful crew. Got an amazing price for a single from Rhode Island to Belfast £80 Got a regional flight from Belfast back home for £40. Sent her suitcase separately by courier (unibaggage.com but not necessarily just for students) for £105.
No frills but fabulous for those who are on a budget

BubblesBuddy Tue 22-May-18 23:57:07

Until they financially collapse that is.

Kursk Wed 23-May-18 00:04:12

I have flown with them, a great cheap airline. I only took a carry on bag and ate before I got on the aircraft.

I highly recommend them, cheap clean and efficient.

Keel Fri 01-Jun-18 16:55:28

Can't comment on Norwegian but they sound ok from other people's reviews. However, I would say beware of American Airlines. Had flight cancelled outbound last year and delays and nearly a missed connecting flight on journey home. They did refund us but I wouldn't use again.

BubblesBuddy Fri 01-Jun-18 23:26:56

People used to say Monarch were fine until they collapsed.

Hmmisthatit Sat 02-Jun-18 08:30:21

Exactly Bubbles I had no real choice than to book with Monach and so missed my friends birthday when they went pop. Make sure you use a credit card.

somewhereovertherain Wed 13-Jun-18 21:19:17

Not used Norwegian. But used west jet via Canada awesome. Using virgin from Manchester as was cheapest even looking at all the options. And believe me I look at all the options.

Furrycushion Wed 13-Jun-18 21:21:57

Premium economy is great for the price. Food not great & seats slightly difficult to get comfortable in, but I would definitely use them again. You also get the lounges included with PE.

metoothree Wed 13-Jun-18 21:29:13

Norwegian are terrible - they cancelled my direct flight to Stockholm four hours before take off, replaced it with one at silly o clock in the morning with a stopover (so I missed a booked train and then ferry and two days of a short holiday), and said it was the airport's fault not theirs, so no compensation. I HATE THEM.

BubblesBuddy Thu 14-Jun-18 22:47:53

Well, I did warn they cancel!

MeltingSnowflake Thu 14-Jun-18 22:54:26

I fly with them a lot London <--> LA - I haven't done economy with them as it just sounds too bare-bones for a long haul, but I do use their Premium Economy, which is the same price as a standard ticket on Virgin, Air New Zealand, etc. and it has some nice perks (lounge use, etc.) On the whole, I would recommend.

DeliveredByKiki Sun 24-Jun-18 12:20:44

Also flown a lot LA-LGW in low season they can be 1/3-1/2 the price of the next cheapest but always worth double checking (this summer we’re flying Norwegian but in November will be flying ANZ because after you’ve paid for luggage and seats ANZ are only about $100 more which is worth it for the sky couches)

Generally they’re great but we have had one flight cancelled, wasn’t the end of the world, they chartered a flight the next day and we went through a 3rd party to get full compensation. We were just travelling from home in LA to parents home in U.K. though so it didn’t incur any additional costs or hassle for us

moira123io Mon 25-Jun-18 00:45:21

I flew with them back from Florida. No issues, food (at an extra cost) and entertainment was great. Included 2 checked bags which was ideal. Compared to Philippine Airlines, another discount airlines I've tried and that didn't even have entertainment, it was fine.

Obsidian77 Fri 06-Jul-18 23:11:41

If you fly on the Dreamliner it's excellent. The crew are good, the in flight entertainment is decent, the plane is comfortable and it's very straightforward to order food from your seat.
If they cancel your flight or replace your Dreamliner with a stand-in plane and crew then it's pretty sub par.
Depends how flexible you can be.
I'd rather swim back across the Atlantic than go on their Wamos Air stand-in again.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: