Talk

Advanced search

New Zealand - cost of flights?

(10 Posts)
rookiemere Sun 13-May-18 13:48:14

So inspired by the NY thread thought I'd start my own. We're planning to go at Easter next year, ideally flying from Edinburgh with a stopover in Singapore.

I've had some quotes in and it seems to be around £1.5k pp - although I've managed to get a quote that includes the hotel in Singapore for 3 nights in that cost as well.

I have nothing to base my planning on . Is that a good price for a flight - or is it quite high and they will come down when all the flights are out - or is that a reasonable price ?

OP’s posts: |
howiseverynametaken Sun 13-May-18 14:09:50

I generally use kayak.co.uk to find the cheapest flights, you would have to find your hotel separately but it should give you a good idea of how much flights should be. 1.5k seems quite pricey to me, although that may include a very nice hotel in Singapore!

rookiemere Sun 13-May-18 14:46:59

Hi howwise - I've been using skyscanner and the prices seem about right - its a fairly average hotel in Singapore. May need to sacrifice that route and go via Dubai which DH is less keen on but may be cheaper once the flights are out. Just wondering if it its worth waiting and the prices are likely to go down.

howiseverynametaken Sun 13-May-18 14:59:20

I fly between the UK and Aus a fair bit and I've always found the cheapest tickets about 4 months before the flight. If you are going at Easter, will that be over school holidays? If you could do it slightly before or after (before would be heaps better weather wise) you may find it quite a lot cheaper.

rookiemere Sun 13-May-18 15:44:53

Hi howis - unfortunately we have no flexibility over dates and it is school holidays - although I think we're leaving slightly outside peak season as taking DS out of school for a couple of days.

fuzzyduck1 Sun 20-May-18 11:49:07

We went in Jan a couple of years back the flights were £8-900 each. But if your set on going over Easter then it’s going to be more.

Went to Thailand this year over Easter and saved £300 on flights just by staying an extra day to miss the school holidays.

rookiemere Sun 20-May-18 12:02:55

Thanks - a new route has become available via Dubai which is cheaper and more direct. I would have preferred Singapore but its about £1k cheaper plus hotels in Dunai less expensive so it looks like we will be going that way instead. Very excited 😄

bruffin Sat 02-Jun-18 11:08:47

We booked it in february and that was late paid about £800 for October /November for economy with Sinagapore airlines. We have also paid early to select seats with extra legroom which has cost us about £5OO on top but still a lot cheaper than premium economy.
We only have a few hours at Singapore airport so dont need hotel.
Very excited grin

TheGonnagle Sat 02-Jun-18 11:12:54

It's too soon to book for Easter with a lot of the airlines. If you go onto their own booking system you will see that the flights are available at 3 or 4 different prices according to flexibility. Most airlines haven't released their super inflexible economy promo fares yet. If you wait another 3/4 weeks then they should start to materialise.

rookiemere Sat 02-Jun-18 13:03:30

Thanks TheGonnagle - you're right when I went into Emirates they didn't have the super economy prices for return out yet - just hoping they still have the cheap ones out available when the return ones get released.

Have a great trip bruffin grin.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in