Talk

Advanced search

Norwegian Air UK to Singapore anyone?

(13 Posts)
Haveasay Sat 28-Apr-18 18:15:44

Just planning a trip down under and trying to keep in budget. Norwegian air UK flight from Gatwick to Singapore is the cheapest fare... but there are lots of poor reviews for this "no frills" long haul flight. I wouldn't be expecting cheap 5 star.... but is it bearable? Is it an option? Would be pleased you hear from anyone who has tried it.

OP’s posts: |
TroubledLichen Sun 29-Apr-18 15:17:09

I’ve done Norwegian to the US, I imagine the offering to Singapore would be roughly the same.

Plane was a new Dreamliner, we flew premium class and you get a lot more leg room than you do with say BA premium economy. It was comparable to say 1st on a US internal flight or the old style business class recliners before the flat bed era. I did a lot of waking up and down the plane with DD, economy looked like any other economy cabin although shiny new.

Entertainment system was very limited, unsure if there would be WiFi on the Singapore route. Take your iPad with things downloaded and a mobile charger if you don’t want to be bored.

In premium you get two meals and drinks included. If you want any snacks, which you will as the food is disgusting, you order from an electronic menu, swipe your credit card in your seat and it’s brought to you. In economy you have to pay for meals and drinks using the same system. Take your own food if you can just because theirs is so horrible.

Overall not a bad experience though, it’s hardly like BA in premium economy or economy is a pleasant experience so I wouldn’t hesitate to fly Norwegian again.

Glitteryfrog Mon 30-Apr-18 07:46:51

Flown long haul economy to the US and its fine.
I'm 5'8 and had enough leg room.
Food was just general plane food, you eat it to relieve the boredom for 30mins.
The entertainment was ok, but I also took a book and slept.

We're flying with them again next year.
Long haul is boring who ever you fly with, you may as well save the money.

SillyBub Mon 30-Apr-18 07:58:42

Just back having flown Norwegian to and from the US. We were in economy (2 adults, 2 DC) and I have no complaints. We didn't book the meals, just took our own food with us which was fine and guaranteed we all got something we liked. DH and I ordered a drink each off the on screen snack menu which was easy to use and great that you paid by swiping your card on the screen. The entertainment was fine, lots of films to choose from, kept the DC entertained. (We all had books anyway). Just remember to bring your own headphones! Be aware there's no blankets or pillows provided so take your own or wear lots of layers. I think blankets can be hired for £5. The Dreamliner planes are nice and new and they say the air quality is better. They were definitely quieter.

Would happily fly Norwegian long haul again.

TheIsland Mon 30-Apr-18 08:09:27

Flown to the US on them, and have no issues. I brought my own food as I think it was £25 added on for meals.
It was very similar to when I’ve flown Heathrow -Boston on delta. I have no complaints and would do it again.

BubblesBuddy Mon 30-Apr-18 13:28:51

My DD flew back from NY with them. Absolutely appalling. The original flight was cancelled. They were put on an aircraft run by another company 10 hours later. No hot drinks on board. No meals. No water in the toilets. Just bottled water. It was £100 cheaper than BA equivalent. There was outrage amongst the passengers who had connecting flights from London and missed them. Currently seeking compensation.

If you have a connecting flight be very, very, careful about using them. Their reliability stats are one of the worst. I would definitely choose an airline with more planes who have a proper scheduled timetable. You are paying peanuts and you are getting a very cheap product. We would never, ever, use them again. It’s like longhaul Ryanair - only worse. No Dreamliner in sight. They probably have one!

If you value peace of mind and reliability, look elsewhere. Singapore Air are good.

Haveasay Mon 30-Apr-18 23:19:58

Thank you for your replies.i think the lesson is go prepared and don't have a connecting flight!

OP’s posts: |
BubblesBuddy Tue 01-May-18 18:40:02

Take your hot water with you!!! Must get on with helping DD with her claim for compensation!

TroubledLichen Tue 01-May-18 20:25:39

I have a ton of those stories like Bubble’s DD as does everyone that flies frequently. Most of them relate to British Airways simply because the routes I fly mean I travel with them more than anyone else. It’s way too much to list here but to give you a brief round up, I’ve had overnight delays, missed connections, change of aircraft, travel class downgrades, hand washing is only for club Europe passengers, lost luggage and we forgot to load your special meal. The worst thing is that when it’s for work you don’t even get to keep any compensation! You can ask for opinions about any airline and there will always be someone who has had a bad experience. Don’t let it put you off Norwegian though, if you go armed with your iPad, warm clothes and plenty of snacks you can enjoy spending the saving when you get to Singapore grin

WiseDad Thu 03-May-18 20:54:44

There are plenty of connecting options through to Singapore if you don’t mind a layover. I haven’t tried
Norwegian but the ticket prices are keen but bump up if you need to eat or drink or take luggage. A couple of people I know have done the trip to Singapore with Norwegian and say it’s bearable. Probably the same as being stuck in BA economy to be honest.

In order of personal preference (and I go to Singapore 5-7x a year in economy) I would say Qatar (now pricey but travel on a Weds and grab a bargain) are my favourite. Singapore airlines is great but avoid the B777 service on any airline as the old planes are loud planes.

BubblesBuddy Fri 04-May-18 01:58:05

I travel BA and have had virtually no problems. They have always been polite and sorted anything out. Norwegian is more of a lottery. Singapore Airways is fairly high up in customer satisfaction lists.

Ursaminor Fri 11-May-18 00:10:12

Check the financial press. The Sunday Times had an article ( I think it was the week before last) and apparently financially this airline is like the cartoon character running on the spot off the edge of a cliff. The vultures are already circling, with some other airlines buying up stock in the company - possibly thinking about getting first dibs on the landing slots in the future?

BubblesBuddy Fri 11-May-18 19:23:09

The problem appears to be that Norwegian have so few planes so if something goes wrong they have to lease one. BA and other airlines often have another aircraft they can juggle. I think the Norwegian model isn’t sustainable. If it was, Easy Jet and Ryanair would have done long haul already! They haven’t.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in