Talk

Advanced search

What would you recommend to do in Florida apart from theme parks

(15 Posts)
battenbergbutterfly Tue 27-Mar-18 23:58:11

Just that really, we've done all the parks and want to see other stuff. Any suggestions as to what's worth seeing?

OP’s posts: |
budgiegirl Wed 28-Mar-18 12:46:41

It depends on how long you have, and if you are going to the parks this time around.

If you are doing the parks, and are adding on a few days at the end, I'd go either to the Clearwater area, or travel further south down the west coast, to Anna Maria Island, Fort Myers Beach, Sanibel, Marco Island, Naples etc. There are some fabulous beaches on the West Coast, and it's pretty laid back.

If you have more time, or are flying into the Miami area, then I'd do either Fort Lauderdale or Miami for a few days, then head to the Keys , and/or the Everglades.

Mixingitall Wed 28-Mar-18 12:48:55

Florida keys are beautiful.

BulletWithABun Wed 28-Mar-18 12:49:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

RipleyAlien Wed 28-Mar-18 12:59:08

Kennedy Space Center on the east coast; you might even see a rocket going up. Cocoa Beach and New Smyrna are all an easy drive from Orlando.

St Augustine is on the northeast coast and claims to be the oldest city in the US.

Everglades to look at the alligators.

shesalady Wed 28-Mar-18 13:01:01

Everglades. So much more there than gays too!

The keys are lovely.

shesalady Wed 28-Mar-18 13:01:16

Gators!! blush

RhythmNBooze Wed 28-Mar-18 13:02:47

shesalady

grin

billybagpuss Wed 28-Mar-18 13:06:39

There is a place just outside Cape Kennedy that you can do the alligator tours, its not as far to drive as the everglades. Get there early or you won't see much they don't like it too hot. Years ago we went to Silver Springs where they filmed some of the original Tarzan films that was a good day.

Then of course you have the outlet malls on the main highway.

Lokisglowstickofdestiny Wed 28-Mar-18 19:17:43

We loved the Kennedy Space Centre, also the Keys if you have the time to get down that far.

battenbergbutterfly Wed 28-Mar-18 19:40:08

Thank you! We've done the parks to the point of never wanting to see another park again grinso these suggestions are great! Thank you!

OP’s posts: |
Kazzyhoward Wed 28-Mar-18 19:50:22

Also alligators at a lake just south of Orlando about 45 minutes if I remember rightly, which is ideal if you don't want to travel so far to the everglades. bcairboats.com/

The beaches around Clearwater are lovely.

Or how about mermaid shows at weekiwachee.com/

Or the Eddison museum at Fort Myers www.edisonfordwinterestates.org/

RockNRollNerd Sat 31-Mar-18 15:16:31

How about an NBA game - we went to one, it was my idea as I thought it would be a great experience, DH wasn't so keen but we all agreed it was a brilliant evening out.

chuntersalot Sat 31-Mar-18 15:24:35

We spent a day at one of the State Parks - not sure but I don’t think it was Silver Springs PP mentioned. The children still mention that day as one of the best we have have had on any holiday 😁

Juanbablo Sun 01-Apr-18 07:47:04

We are going next week and as well as the parks we are doing Kennedy Space Center, Wild Florida and a bus tour at Clearwater.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in