Talk

Advanced search

You’re favourite holiday (long or short haul)

(40 Posts)
Blossom4538 Tue 27-Mar-18 21:17:11

Just looking for ideas for the future! With 8 year old in tow...perhaps a bit of a treat/splurge holiday :-)

What has been your favourite destination or type of holiday and where is your dream destination?

Thanks!

OP’s posts: |
MotherofTerriers Tue 27-Mar-18 21:19:56

Short haul the Algarve - like Vilamoura, although maybe somewhere like Burgau with small children
Long haul Cuba

BrownTurkey Tue 27-Mar-18 21:33:19

Scotland, Loch Fyne was unexpectedly brilliant, Rose Cottage in Strachur, a lovely local brasserie (in the Post Office/shop) and the Spa pool at Portavadie.

Morzine in the French Alps in Summer

budgiegirl Fri 30-Mar-18 16:30:18

Favourite holiday - 2 nights Miami , 7 day Caribbean cruise , 4 nights Florida Keys, 3 nights New York - it was an amazing holiday

However, my kids are teens. With an 8 year old, I would probably swap the Keys / New York with a week at Disney , depending on what your DC ikes to do

swimster01 Fri 30-Mar-18 17:10:26

It really depends upon your interests. Florida is great if you are into the parks and probably a good one to do before your 8 year old is too old for Disney (not that you're ever too old but there are less thrill rides for teens at Disney).

Blossom4538 Fri 30-Mar-18 17:51:26

Wow, that trip sounds amazing! We did 1 week Miami (and drove down Keys for the day) - 2nd week Barbados. Was pretty amazing.

We also absolutely love Puerto Pollensa in Mallorca.

Blossom4538 Fri 30-Mar-18 17:52:18

Prague near Christmas lovely too!

Yes, have Disney at back of my mind for DD too. :-)

PoptartPoptart Fri 30-Mar-18 18:48:33

Florida every time for me.

FlaminYon Fri 30-Mar-18 18:51:41

I love Orlando. Would go there any chance I got.

SJane45S Fri 30-Mar-18 19:42:45

With kids or without? Completely different ball game with kids in tow! With kids, Costa Rica, Iceland & a couple of Italian/French train trips

iklboo Fri 30-Mar-18 19:46:27

Norwegian cruise - been twice, different places. Breathtaking scenery, beautiful places. Sounds corny but I really am pining for the fjords. I want to go back so much.

mycatthinksshesatiger Fri 30-Mar-18 19:51:58

Another vote for Florida (Miami/Tampa & everywhere in between - not Disney!). Also South Africa - wonderful, and amazing with kids too.

lifechangesforever Fri 30-Mar-18 19:54:57

Florida!

Only 8 months until we're back.. with a 4 month old DD in tow that was totally unexpected grin

eurochick Fri 30-Mar-18 19:55:35

Borneo was pretty amazing. We went pre-kids but it would be good with kids too (but not pre-schoolers).

Doilooklikeatourist Fri 30-Mar-18 20:05:01

Best place ever … Barbados
Been there 3 times , once on honeymoon ( just the 2 of us )
For our 10 th anniversary , with the 2 DC ( aged 8 and 6 )
And last year , as out first holiday without the ( now fully grown ) Dc

Going on a cruise to the Norwegian Fjords later this year , can’t wait 😀

Mercurial123 Fri 30-Mar-18 23:14:28

We flew into Cape Town and then onto a two week safari in Namibia. Botswana was amazing too.

BubblesBuddy Sat 31-Mar-18 21:25:55

Florida is popular but there are so many more places to visit!

The smaller Caribbean Islands such as the BVIs are amazing. Even better from a crewed yacht. Children love it!

We have taken ours to Kenya for a safari at that age. It’s real and exciting. Not a Disney character in sight. I would definitely suggest South Africa too.

We have also been to Boston and New York when they were that age and also Cape Cod.

We did a couple of cruises but the best one was Alaska. There are several family holiday companies with excellent ideas for children and we did one to Peru. Our DC were older than 8, but we added on the rainforest. It is amazing for children to discover the wildlife. We have also been to Ecuador and the Galápagos Islands. I would rather go there once instead of 3 visits to Florida!

HermioneWeasley Sat 31-Mar-18 21:28:52

With a chi,d that age, a Disney cruise

dontcallmethatyoucunt Sun 01-Apr-18 03:38:41

We have been (or booked) with the kids the same sort of age:

Cuba
Canada
Namibia
Iceland
Sri Lanka

I think 8 is a great age to travel

dontcallmethatyoucunt Sun 01-Apr-18 03:39:23

Have also been to Disney, but was thoroughly underwhelmed

Sewblue Sun 01-Apr-18 04:11:13

What sort of spend do you spend on a holiday? What’s considered reasonable?

Reallycantbebothered Sun 01-Apr-18 16:10:56

Loved Antigua, went with dcs 12,14,17...chartered a yacht for the day and also took helicopter flight over to Montserrat to see the lava flows from Soufriere...amazing experience
Also went to Ko Samui and took fabulous boat trip to marine national park and went snorkelling
Short haul , loved Menton in S France

dontcallmethatyoucunt Mon 02-Apr-18 01:35:28

What sort of spend do you spend on a holiday? What’s considered reasonable

Well reasonable is what you can afford. We spend a lot, but for me it's what I want to spend our money on. We are very lucky to have the choice.

KeepCalm Mon 02-Apr-18 01:55:51

Skye for local.

Copenhagen then on into Sweden for short haul. Just wonderful. Would move there in a heart beat.

Splurge? Love Oz.

EmmaGrundyForPM Mon 02-Apr-18 02:00:29

My dc, now grown up, always say their favourite summer holidays were when we went hiking in the Alps.

They also enjoyed New York, we've been there several.times but never for more than three nights as we've always tacked it in to a trip to elsewhere in the States.

They really weren't impressed by Disney and neither were we.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in