Talk

Advanced search

How frequent can babies travel long haul?

(7 Posts)
Patonky Thu 22-Mar-18 16:36:30

Does anyone have any advice/ experience on how frequent can a baby travel long haul? I haven't been able to find any information. We have a 10 month old currently traveling with me in India for work, we are back in the U.K. For a week before easter and I have to potentially go the Easter week to Japan and planning in taking him. Will that be too much for him? 10 days in India, 1 week in the uk, 1 week in Japan back to uk ? He has done long haul before and being to South America and the US but never trips so close to each other and I'm worried it might be too much for him. Any advice? I can change traveling to Japan for a later date.

OP’s posts: |
lizabes Thu 22-Mar-18 16:39:10

I don't see how it could do them any harm. What exactly is it you're worried about?

BalloonFlowers Thu 22-Mar-18 16:44:40

Very normal for expat babies to fly several times a year. I've never heard anything warning against it, after they are more than teeny-tiny (like days old).

Patonky Thu 22-Mar-18 16:50:45

Thanks much I'm worried about any air pressure/ air cabin issues that might be harmful not sure exactly what but causing him some health issues? Also about his schedule really getting messed up currently he takes 2-3 days to adapt to the new time zone... maybe just being paranoid here but don't want to overdoit for him

OP’s posts: |
Kitty2018 Thu 22-Mar-18 16:56:16

I did once read an article written by a nanny who had worked for various celebrity/high profile clients who claimed that she’d worked with babies who had flown long haul regularly whilst very young and had never adjusted to day/night schedules due to the constant time zone changes. She claimed they had long term sleep problems for years afterwards. But I would imagine she was talking about a lot of travel - probably multiple long haul flights a week.

Kitty2018 Thu 22-Mar-18 17:00:24

Meant to also add that I’d say 10 months is old enough to cope with the time zone changes. You’ll probably get a couple of disrupted days but I’m sure it would be fine.

dontcallmethatyoucunt Thu 22-Mar-18 21:48:31

My niece has crossed the Atlantic, via France, back again, here back, France, USA 4 times in 3 months. She's a little madam totally fine. Her sleep takes about a week to adjust.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in