Talk

Advanced search

Would you fly longhaul with Norwegian Air UK

(39 Posts)
fearfultrill Mon 19-Mar-18 09:50:09

I'm an okay flyer but have never flown longer than 5 hours. I'm going to America from the UK in the summer and found very cheap flights with Norwegian Air UK.

Would you fly longhaul with them? They seem so cheap it's got me a bit worried.

OP’s posts: |
Mamimawr Mon 19-Mar-18 09:51:29

Yes, we have. It was great. No problems at all.

TheHobbitMum Mon 19-Mar-18 09:51:56

I've flown with them and they have been one of the best flights we've had, I personally wouldn't hesitate to use them again

chemenger Mon 19-Mar-18 10:13:39

We have flown multiple times with Norwegian, its basic but fine, we will definitely carry on using them. If you fly from London they fly Dreamliners, I've never done that. From some or all regional airports they fly 737s which feel quite small. The food, in my experience, is awful even by airline standards. If we need a checked bag we buy the food and bag package but refuse the food when it comes, and take our own. Buying the food does give you some drinks, otherwise you have to buy everything, including water. Take plenty of water on board with you.

The entertainment is also poor on the 737s (I'm not sure if its better on the Dreamliners). It relies on you having a device and logging on to their system which is flaky and the choice of films etc is very limited (you may have to pay, I can't remember). There are no sockets to charge devices either. There is nothing like the seatback systems you get on other longhaul flights. There is Wifi but it is unreliable and usually messes up the settings on my tablet and phone. There are screens on the bulkhead and overhead playing random programmes, I came back from Boston watching a documentary about building a tractor once. They don't dim these screens overnight so bring an eye mask. If you are unlucky you will get the noisy crew who spend the night yelling at each other in the gallery - bring earplugs!

The seats are comfortable enough (but I have short legs and never have any trouble on planes).

Overall for the price its a good deal, just don't expect a full service flight, it is easyjet but longhaul. The airports they fly to are usually small and some distance from the city they are badged as, so the "Boston" flight goes to Providence RI, an hour away on the train. The bonus is that getting through immigration is much nicer than at the big entry points.

fearfultrill Mon 19-Mar-18 10:35:21

Thanks all. Very useful info.

We would fly Gatwick to LAX. I have very long legs so that could be an issue... it normally is on flights!

I was worried more about safety but to be honest I'm not sure what specifically, it's probably very irrational. This has put my mind at rest somewhat!

OP’s posts: |
chemenger Mon 19-Mar-18 11:03:40

Their planes are all very new, so I wouldn't be concerned about safety. I hear the Dreamliners (which would be used for your flight) are more comfortable than the 737s and have more conveniences like power sockets and seat back entertainment. My recommendation is to read all the info about entertainment etc carefully so you know what to expect. And consider taking your own food!

Mamabooksbabynumber2 Mon 19-Mar-18 11:06:51

I flew Gatwick to LAX with Norwegian. Flight was fine. Basic and I would recommend prebooking seats. Food wasn't good tbh so on my return flight I didn't prebook a meal and bought food at the airport instead.

FanSpamTastic Mon 19-Mar-18 11:17:57

I have flown with them in their premium flex class. It was a business trip to NY and half the price of premium economy with BA. They do not have business or first class. I thought they were fantastic.

If you have long legs and can afford it I would look at the premium prices. I could not touch the seat in front with my legs stretched out - I am about 5' 5".

BubblesBuddy Mon 19-Mar-18 12:50:09

No. I would not. DD flew with them from Heathrow to NY a couple of week ago. No seat back entertainment. Definitely not a Dreamliner. Flight delayed. They are one of the worst for delays. Has the fewest women pilots too! You pay for what you get. Its more or less no frills.

unintentionalthreadkiller Mon 19-Mar-18 12:51:31

Yes I have and yes I would no hesitation again. London to US always on a dreamliner.

AttilaTheMeerkat Mon 19-Mar-18 13:48:12

There's good reason why they are cheap because they are indeed the long haul version of short haul carriers like EasyJet and Ryanair.
They charge for everything and that could all add up to a fare not all that different from other carriers to LAX from the UK. Cost it all up carefully and do a price comparison with other carriers before you hit confirm.

BubblesBuddy Mon 19-Mar-18 15:08:56

So is the picture my DD took of the Norwegian aircraft the interior of a Dreamliner? It was Heathrow to New York on 28 Feb this year. Looks like a bog standard 767 or similar to me. Perhaps the Dreamliner had broken down and that's why the flight was delayed?

Glitteryfrog Mon 19-Mar-18 15:15:55

Yep.
Flew Gatwick to Las Vegas and it was fine. The plane felt new, staff were pleasant.
We paid for food and it was fine. I think I got a glass of wine too?

Long haul is boring who ever you fly with. Why pay an extra £500?

chemenger Mon 19-Mar-18 17:16:26

That isn't a Dreamliner, mabe not all the flights from London are Dreamliners, I've never flown from there. The East coast might all be smaller aircraft, but the west coast would be out of range for the 737s, I think.I haven't had a lot of delay and have been more than an hour early on the return flight a couple of times. Now that I know to expect nothing from the food or the entertainment I go prepared and overall the experience is fine. Even adding in bags and food it is still much cheaper than the alternatives for us.

CointreauVersial Mon 19-Mar-18 17:30:27

Never flown Norwegian, but we flew to LA with WOW Air a couple of years back (equally cheap Icelandic carrier).

Serious lack of frills - didn't have TV screens at all, or proper meals - but saved £££. I would say Norwegian would be similar.

Mamabooksbabynumber2 Mon 19-Mar-18 18:30:23

With Norwegian to LAX we had screens with movies and games and interactive mapsmile

KikiMadeMeDoIt Mon 19-Mar-18 18:37:48

I’ve flown on the Dreamliner. The journey we do is nine hours so we get the premium seats. It’s really pretty comfortable, food is included in premium and it was good. DH is going on his own soon and will book the gluten free food because mine is GF and was better than his. It’s cheaper than BA and much, much nicer. The Dreamliner really does cut down on jet lag, I was a bit sceptical, but there’s a definite difference.

Merrylegs Mon 19-Mar-18 18:43:48

I like Norwegian precisely because of the no-frills. I am not a fan of aeroplane food or being disturbed for drinks/meals etc so it's really nice to be able to take your own food onboard and just be left to get on with it.

They do look cheap on initial booking but watch out - hold luggage adds on another £50 at least and if you want to choose your own seat with extra leg room you also have to pay (each way), but yes, despite all this they do come out as cheaper than many.

The dreamliners are good - for example the air circulation is fresher (do they fly higher, I think that's one of their usps) and the windows are bigger also. Plus they play a cool and calming light show when you land!

(We're flying with them to the States again in the summer - if they have become crap I will be v disappointed!)

Merrylegs Mon 19-Mar-18 19:11:32

(They do fly to the main airports btw eg Logan, JFK!)

AssumethePerpendicular Mon 19-Mar-18 19:18:18

We flew to Denver with them earlier this year. They were half he price of BA even after adding in food and bags. Went on a new Dreamliner, plenty of leg room. We paid for meals which weren’t great but less hassle and did get a glass of wine included.
Seatback entertainment was ok, not brilliant range of films. You have to pay extra for the headphone!
Husband has flown to LAX premium economy and said it is worth paying for.

ineedamoreadultieradult Mon 19-Mar-18 19:23:48

We went from Gatwick to JFK and back again with them in February. We took hand luggage only and took our own food rather than paying for meals at £25 per person and it was fine. Sitting on a plane for 8hrs is never a great time but plenty of movies and TV to keep the kids happy.

Thelampshadelady Mon 19-Mar-18 19:25:05

I flew with them in jan to nyc. Brilliant service. Would highly recommend.

MongerTruffle Mon 19-Mar-18 19:27:31

Norwegian only use Dreamliners for their long haul flights, and 737-800s for their short haul flights.

Longdistance Mon 19-Mar-18 19:28:35

My friends recently paid to fly with Norwegian, and they got an email stating that they have changed the dates. They could have had a refund or take the dates. It’s now charated out to another company 🙄

chemenger Mon 19-Mar-18 21:17:56

They don’t only fly Dreamliners, Edinburgh flights to the US are not Dreamliners, we can only dream of them!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in