Talk

Advanced search

For those of you with 3 kids

(25 Posts)
Pinkpeanut27 Sun 04-Mar-18 12:14:46

How do you manage sleeping arrangements? I have 3 at 15,15 and 8 and they absolutely will not share a bed and sharing a room with each other is pushing it!
This is causing problems trying to get anything but self catering on holiday .

OP’s posts: |
MaidenMotherCrone Sun 04-Mar-18 12:27:02

I'd tell them not sharing a room = no holiday.

Simple.

Prettylovely Sun 04-Mar-18 12:32:00

Agree with maidenmother mine always share a room on holiday.

Pinkpeanut27 Sun 04-Mar-18 15:02:06

They can share a room but they don’t like it but it’s more they can’t share a bed , do you get your teens to share a bed?

loveasnowdrop Sun 04-Mar-18 15:07:14

Where are you going?
I lot of hotels that cater for US market have 2 double beds and a sofa bed. So 2 rooms is definitely possible.
Or rent a villa?

MaidenMotherCrone Sun 04-Mar-18 15:20:43

Mine always had a twin room with an extra bed in. It's never been an issue.

budgiegirl Sun 04-Mar-18 21:06:06

If they want to come on holiday, they have to share a bed. Simple.

It is a pain, and I can see they’re not particular happy about it, but we generally all stay in one big room/suite if we are doing a hotel holiday. There’s no choice if we want to stay in hotels - two rooms stretches the budget, and we definitely can’t stretch to three

Oddbutnotodd Mon 05-Mar-18 08:19:51

Mine always shared a room. Age difference between youngest and oldest same as yours. As pp said no sharing equals no holiday. We always budgeted for 2 rooms; just went for a shorter holiday if necessary to keep costs down.

gingergenius Mon 05-Mar-18 08:23:36

Share a room yes. Share a bed no. They would bicker and argue and I'd get no sleep at all so it would turn into the holiday from hell.

Shen0102 Mon 05-Mar-18 08:29:50

sorry but they're old enough to know better. Tantrums = no holiday until they can pay for it themselves or contribute to their extra bed/room they eagerly demand.

katronfon Mon 05-Mar-18 09:02:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

katronfon Mon 05-Mar-18 09:06:19

HerRoyalNotness Mon 05-Mar-18 09:07:53

Take a sleeping bag and put one on the floor if thy don’t want to share the bed

katronfon Mon 05-Mar-18 09:08:58

PersianCatLady Mon 05-Mar-18 09:11:13

I used to have to share a bed with my sister at 12 (she was 10) and she still wet the bed.

Tell your kids that there are two choices. Share or no holiday.

HyenaHappy Mon 05-Mar-18 10:00:27

I know that you’re trying to save bickering but really they are being quite unreasonable to be unwilling to compromise without moaning when they are getting a treat. Maybe remind then that going on holiday is a luxury to be grateful for.

sentenceinterrupted Mon 05-Mar-18 10:23:35

We carried a travel cot (actually a pop up tent with a thin mattress) for our littlest... why not 'upsize' and take a camping mattress and tell them if they're not sharing a bed, they rotate who sleeps on the floor!

mummymeister Mon 05-Mar-18 18:41:27

sharing a room yes, but sharing beds once they are older teens, definitely not. they do need a bit of privacy.

they have in emergencies shared beds but always same sex and not boy//girl.

if they wont share then there is no holiday - you cant pander to this the difference in price between a 3 bed and a 5 bed villa for example is roughly double.

Pinkpeanut27 Mon 05-Mar-18 20:03:32

My oldest 2 fight all the time it breaks my heart so yes they share a room but don’t get on . They are B/G twins so I don’t ask them to share a bed , my 8 yr would share happily with me or his dad but that’s pointless!
Things that have worked have been 2 twins or 2 queens and a sofa or roll away over 2 interconnecting rooms or a suite with a lounge area is fab .
We are just struggling in Italy or US to find accommodation this year as we have left it late .
The travel agents don’t get that a room with 2 queen beds and a camp bed doesn’t work .
I can’t get self catering in some of the cities we are looking at as it is illegal apparently .

We are currently looking at changing location and getting a villa or 2 separate rooms which makes things less relaxing as we like to put the youngest to bed and chill out with the big 2 .

Just wondering if we are weird !

katronfon Mon 05-Mar-18 22:06:02

gingergenius Mon 05-Mar-18 23:16:54

@Pinkpeanut27 you're not weird. I have a similar dynamic with mine and it can be tricky - and as they get older bed-sharing becomes difficult (mine have never done it successfully, in spite of varied efforts).

I use on the beach or travel republic as I find them way more flexible for exactly these reasons.

SuperLoudPoppingAction Mon 05-Mar-18 23:18:44

I bring a camping mat and sleeping bag. They're weirdos and all quite like sleeping like that or on a couch

Pinkpeanut27 Tue 06-Mar-18 06:32:05

Yes the fact they don’t get on breaks my heart.
I think a sleeping bag and roll mat would not be popular but I might ask!
I’ve tried British airways , virgin and trail finders along with contacting individual hotels myself .
No youngest wouldn’t be able to share a bed with older same sex sibling, too spoilt having own space I think and they wouldn’t sleep which would mean less of a holiday fo rme!

sentenceinterrupted Tue 06-Mar-18 14:29:02

We have air bnb'd through both Italy and the US and had a great time

budgiegirl Wed 07-Mar-18 20:10:03

Could you get a double bedded suite, especially easy in the US, and then ask for a trundle/fold away bed as well? So you'd end up with two doubles, one double sofa, and one trundle bed. They'd still have to share the room, but not beds.
Not sure how feasible this is, my teens usually just have to lump it and share a double. But it might be possible if you contact hotels directly and ask.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in