Talk

Advanced search

Another NY city question. YMCA Harlem?

(16 Posts)
angollady Sat 03-Mar-18 14:17:34

I have booked a trip to NY for 5 days to NY in May. (Glad to see on another thread it is the best time of year to go.) Actually, the very, very cheap flight I am booked on flies into Newark. It's my first time and I am very excited.

I have made a hotel reservation via booking.com for the YMCA in Harlem which is about £70 a night, which seems to be one of the cheapest places. You pay on arrival. The reviews on Trip adviser were mixed.

Has anyone got experience of staying in Harlem? Or suggestions as to somewhere I could look at, which would be a similar price, but commutable as the centre seems beyond my price range?

TIA

OP’s posts: |
AttilaTheMeerkat Sat 03-Mar-18 15:29:26

Can you cancel this reservation?. Cheap is not always cheerful either.

You're better off staying somewhere far more central than Harlem, its too far out and you could spend a lot of time simply travelling about on the train to go anywhere.

The NYC subway system is also very antiquated and needs a lot of repair works done to it, it could take at least 40 minutes to commute from there into Manhattan itself.

strongandlong Sat 03-Mar-18 16:57:12

It doesn't look that far out to me. Harlem is on Manhattan, just a long way uptown.

This website gives you travel times from any point in the city: project.wnyc.org/transit-time/

Trailedanderror Sat 03-Mar-18 17:02:57

The Salisbury Hotel is safe comfortable and cheaper. And it's between Time Square and Central Park and so much much better situated.

AttilaTheMeerkat Sat 03-Mar-18 17:41:08

I have stayed at the Salisbury Hotel also and can recommend it.

angollady Sat 03-Mar-18 18:39:26

Salisbury Hotel looks great which is probably why it is double the price of the Harlem YMCA and sadly I cant afford it.

Trailedanderror Sat 03-Mar-18 21:34:04

Sign in with Facebook- I was getting $90/ night for May when I looked earlier today.

Trailedanderror Sat 03-Mar-18 21:41:53

Just now

angollady Sun 04-Mar-18 14:18:39

Trailedanderror I must be doing something wrong! When I tried going in through Facebook it gave no availability, at all, on any day.

Trailedanderror Sun 04-Mar-18 16:01:41

Keep trying, altho maybe it's just good prices on the dates I checked, not yours 😞

ineedamoreadultieradult Sun 04-Mar-18 16:06:19

No idea about the Harlem YMCA but we visited Harlem when we went to NYC in Feb with our two kids and it wasn't that far from the touristy bits such as Central Park, Times Square etc. Get an unlimited metro card for $33 and use the subway to get about we found it very efficient and never had to wait more than 5 minutes for a train.

Mercurial123 Mon 12-Mar-18 15:55:13

I've stayed near 125th Street, Harlem really isn't that far out. There are lots of great restaurants, the locals are friendly and it's being gentrified. A Whole Foods was opening when we were there. Also we went to a gospel service on Sunday it was fun and we were made to feel really welcome, the singing was amazing. Next time I visit I want to go to the talent night at The Apollo.

Mercurial123 Mon 12-Mar-18 16:11:24

On the subway catch the express train it's much faster.

SoleBizzz Mon 12-Mar-18 16:11:34

Would this suit You?
Might need upfront payment though

Cheap rooms NY in May

princesspeach21 Wed 14-Mar-18 23:57:32

£70 sounds like an awful lot to pay for a hostel in Harlem. I stayed at one of the Hiltons near Times Square and only paid £84 a night and that was in the Xmas holidays. Have you tried shopping around and trying some other websites? On the other hand if you do go for Harlem the subway system is pretty good. Also perhaps look at Airbnb, it is legal in NYC as long as the owner also lives in the property (eg you can't rent an entire flat).

LoniceraJaponica Fri 16-Mar-18 21:53:30

Delete your cookies and try again. Cookies remember which sites you have looked at and often the prices go up.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in