Advanced search

New York advice please

(19 Posts)
Gendarme Sun 25-Feb-18 19:22:00

With kids tween- teen ages

Anyone have any good ideas for accommodation? Better in an apartment rather than a hotel?

Which area would be best?
We would want to do the usual tourist stuff

LilaBlue Sun 25-Feb-18 19:24:28

We stayed in the crowne plaza in Times Square. It was ok, not luxury but a good location

ajandjjmum Sun 25-Feb-18 19:25:56

So did we - brilliant from the point of view that it was smack in the middle of the 'New York' that teenagers visualise.

Gendarme Sun 25-Feb-18 19:29:08

Ah ok that’s interesting- I assumed we would want to avoid the major tourist area to stay in although would obviously visit

I wondered if it’s so easy to eat out that an apartment makes more sense than a hotel? There are five of us so hotel rooms can be tricky.

BuzzKillington Sun 25-Feb-18 19:29:24

I don't like the Times Square area - too touristy and sleazy.

I'd stay on the Upper East side or the West Village.

Gendarme Sun 25-Feb-18 19:29:58

I’ve never used air bnb blush
Is it easy and am I likely to regret it when it turns out the owner is living in the cupboard whilst we are there!

Howdydoodyfolks Sun 25-Feb-18 19:31:55

We did an air bnb on an apartment about 30 mins on the bus outside of NY. Was great and saved us about £1k over the 10 days

AttilaTheMeerkat Sun 25-Feb-18 20:40:01

Short term apartment rentals in the five boroughs of NYC are illegal. Rental sites also do not check the veracity of such listings and many people have been scammed. You will need to find hotel accommodation

AttilaTheMeerkat Sun 25-Feb-18 20:42:05

If you want to do the usual tourist things as well you are better off staying in Manhattan rather than in one of the outer boroughs. This will also save on travel time

BubblesBuddy Sun 25-Feb-18 21:59:31

“Tourist” New York is very spread out. It’s a long way from the Statue of Liberty to Central Park.

Plot on a map exactly what you want to see and where it is. There are no really bad areas and Times Square isn’t really sleazy - it’s just not that “wow”. So, depending what you want to see, you could narrow down possible areas to stay. Look at a booking site such as and see what comes up in the areas you want to stay in.

I really like the SoHo area and Greenwich Village because it has a more “villagey” neighbourhood feel and great local restaurants, but for a first visit, you might wish to be more central.

JaneEyre70 Sun 25-Feb-18 22:03:22

I'd avoid Times Square like the plague, we really hated it. Tribeca/Soho were lovely in comparison, or further downtown in the financial district where you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Gendarme Mon 26-Feb-18 06:32:06

Ok thanks all this is really helpful

Lenny1980 Mon 26-Feb-18 06:40:08

Are you thinking of an apartment to save money on food? For actual cooking, groceries are expensive, you can eat out for not much more. We always stay in a hotel and save money by getting takeaway breakfast from a local cafe, just coffee and bagels usually. We might also get takeaway pizza slices one evening if we’ve had a big lunch. Hotels don’t seem to object to you bringing your own food in.

Nakedavenger74 Mon 26-Feb-18 06:45:08

Airbnb illegal in NYC. V high potential to be scammed, kicked out in the middle of the night or (in our case) have to creep around so you don't get spotted by the 'super' (including a ban on entering or leaving the property at certain times).

Aparthotels are pretty good for a family but NYC is notorious for crap accommodation and high prices.

Try Brooklyn or Hoboken rather than Manhattan for cheaper deals

Ryebreadandwine Mon 26-Feb-18 06:58:02

Is airbnb really illegal? I was planning on using Airbnb for me and my teen. There were some really reasonable options. I guess I’ll try a hotel.

Awks Mon 26-Feb-18 07:01:00

We stayed inThe Nash, it was a great location just near the Chrysler building. Google it as it was clean, safe, well priced and had an ace roof terrace. Have a great time!

Nakedavenger74 Mon 26-Feb-18 07:39:57

Yup. Unless owner is present and you are renting a room. Rentals are available but you take a risk.

In our case we had to collect the key from a place near Newark at midnight (not nice after a flight from UK arriving at JFK). We were under strict instructions to not leave or enter between 9 and 5 as the super would ask who we were. I was given a script to recite should we be asked ( we were the owners 'European cousins'.. I didn't know what she looked like or even her surname). She said if we got locked out or in or had any issues there was nothing she could do in case she was discovered and there was 'no tolerance' for noise and we'd be immediately thrown out. It was an old warehouse conversion and the walls and floor were paper thin you could hear next door sneezing so we spent our time whispering.

Ridiculously stressful. I remember panicking when I dropped a hairbrush at 6 am and heard the neighbours swearing at the 'noise'

To top it off she texted me the morning we left to tell me she expected me to strip and wash the bedding and towels and replace them 'as I found them' yet had to vacate by 10am. Piss off love!

budgiegirl Mon 26-Feb-18 13:57:13

Hotel rooms for 5 can be tricky on Manhattan, at Christmas we stayed at the Doubletree Suites in New Jersey, we had a lovely big suite, two rooms, with two double beds and a huge sofa bed, plenty of space.

It was half the price of any hotel for 5 that we could find on Manhattan, but it was quick and easy to get the PATH train over to Manhattan, it took about 10 minutes, and you could use your subway ticket. It cost $2.75 per trip, but we saved a fortune overall.

WickedGoodDoge Mon 26-Feb-18 16:11:43

There are quite a few suites hotels in Manhattan. We stayed at the Shelburne which was in a great location for us- quiet and close to Grand Central Station for the subway. We had a one bedroom suite with kitchenette and they provided a rollaway (living room also had a double sleeper sofa) for us. They also have two bedroom suites.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now