Talk

Advanced search

Am I the only one who didn’t enjoy Florida?

(23 Posts)
Timetochange72 Sat 24-Feb-18 19:39:20

Our kids loved it, my dp loved it, for me it was too much but I did come down with a cold and virtually the whole time I was there I was walking round parks from 10am to 10pm with a headache wanting to go back to the villa, I did enjoy some of it but it was too much for me! I know I’m amoungst the minority but I just don’t want to again, the rest of the family do though 😬

OP’s posts: |
Dailystuck71 Sat 24-Feb-18 19:49:01

You spent too long at the parks. Did you plan your time wisely?

Timetochange72 Sat 24-Feb-18 20:28:57

Well obviously not but that’s what the others wanted to do I didn’t sand if we planned to come home in the afternoon or do something different we wouldn’t cos everyone was happy to continue 😤

DiplomaticDecorum Sat 24-Feb-18 20:42:52

Do you mean that you didn't enjoy Florida, or that you don't like theme parks? - the two are quite different. I love Florida, but hate theme parks - why didn't you leave your dp & kids at the parks and do something that you would enjoy?

Timetochange72 Sat 24-Feb-18 20:59:27

I don’t hate theme parks but I just found it too much for me, I didn’t want to be there all day walking around in the heat feeling ill. But they didn’t want to go home, I did leave them to it some days and stayed on my own at the villa, that was ok but then I felt I was missing out lol! It was just too much for me but I understood they loved it, we did go to tampa for 2 days and I lay on the beach so I did do something I liked, it was traipsing around the theme parks with a headache and the 40• heat that I hated

somewhereovertherain Sat 24-Feb-18 21:01:35

Can’t see why anyone would enjoy most of the Disney shit but hey ho.

Been to the states but never Florida and no intention of ever going. Plenty of other places to explore.

Appuskidu Sat 24-Feb-18 21:08:52

You were ill on holiday-that isn’t necessarily Florida’s fault!

Shame through.

KateGrey Sat 24-Feb-18 21:15:00

I hated Florida. We did some parks but I personally didn’t like it.

IHaveBrilloHair Sat 24-Feb-18 21:16:25

It's not for me, I don't do crowds or rides especially in really hot and humid weather.
I would go to have a mooch around Epcot world showcase though, but that's it.
I assume most people do love it as they research and given it costs thousands they are as sure as they can be that they'll enjoy it.
It's not Florida btw, nor is it Orlando, it's theme parks which just happen to be there.

Yvest Sat 24-Feb-18 21:18:52

Loved Florida, parts of it are breathtaking. Orlando though is bloody awful. Thank goodness I never have to go again

eeanne Sat 24-Feb-18 21:19:56

I grew up in the States and honestly find British enjoyment of Florida strange. I also joke with DH if there’s a “Americans are crazy” news article 9 times out of 10 it’s happened in Florida. Weird state with seriously scary gun laws. If you’re going to fly to the US there are so many better places to visit!

HotCrossBunFight Sat 24-Feb-18 21:21:15

I love it. My favourite place!

LolitaLempicka Sat 24-Feb-18 21:23:12

We have family there so go almost every year. It is the worst place I have ever been.

Annabelle4 Sat 24-Feb-18 21:25:20

It would be my idea of hell

Shmithecat Sat 24-Feb-18 21:29:59

I love theme parks. Not Orlando so much though. There are some fabulous places in the state though.

Jon66 Sat 24-Feb-18 21:30:03

You haven't even seen Florida from what you have said. Did you go down the keys, key west and key
Largo? Did you see the everglades? Did you go to Naples? Do you honestly think Florida is just walking around a Disney park?

TSSDNCOP Sun 25-Feb-18 09:21:41

It's crazy to just go for the parks, unless as a group that's the sole purpose of your trip. DS hated the parks, the whole thing was just too much for him, but loved Cape Caneveril (I'm pretty sure I've spelled that wrong). Naples, the Keys, the Everglades are all there but personally I prefer the West Coast.

AnnaMagnani Sun 25-Feb-18 09:56:50

Do you think you might have enjoyed it if you weren't ill? I've got a cold today and am feeling murderous about having to go to Tesco, let alone a theme park for 12 hours.

Otherwise my DM's rule of holidays was we had to do something for everyone - in our family this meant DF got a day looking at trains, she got to drag us round craft shops, they stood bored witless while I was doing my thing and so on, as well as doing stuff we all enjoyed together.

Your Florida holiday doesn't sound like that at all. It sounds like there was nothing with your name on it, no flopping out day, no consideration of you being ill and generally a bit miserable for you.

PurplePotatoes Sun 25-Feb-18 10:03:42

We went a couple of years ago and I wasn't overwhelmed by it either really.
The theme parks especially Magic Kingdom was far too overcrowded (we didn't even go in main season) and most of the rides haven't been updated since I went 30 years ago as a child (Small World etc) so it felt quite dated. I didn't like Orlando either, it was such a soulless place. We had a villa which was a fair drive out (wouldn't do that again) and I was struck by how you never saw people anywhere, it was so strange.

I think I would try it again when the kids are older though and stay in a Disney hotel.

RusholmeRuffian Sun 25-Feb-18 12:49:54

I don't like theme parks and I'm not a fan of Orlando but there is far more to Florida. Don't judge the entire state on one bad experience.

Lokisglowstickofdestiny Sun 25-Feb-18 12:54:18

There is so much more to Florida than Orlando theme parks. We did 3 weeks there last year - 4 days spent in theme parks, more than enough. We spent time in Miami, the Keys (my favourite) and St Petersburg. Plus you were ill, I'd hate hauling myself around anywhere if I felt rough it's worse when you are on holiday and ill.

Timetochange72 Sun 25-Feb-18 20:35:05

That’s true I’m judging Florida, I went the theme parks really, and that bloody cold I caught on the way out ruined it tbh x

Lifeaback Tue 27-Feb-18 23:11:37

hated Florida- felt so artificial and cold. I didn't enjoy having to drive everywhere and not be able to walk anywhere that hadn't been 'built' for walking iyswim- the malls, the parks, the restaurant areas, everything felt so commercial and lacking in any culture. We didn't leave Orlando though and I'm sure if I visited Miami or the keys etc I would have a very different opinion as they look much nicer

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in