Talk

Advanced search

Family trip to Peru and Ecuador

(8 Posts)
inniu Wed 21-Feb-18 21:02:28

Planning to go to Peru and Ecuador/Galapagos in June/ July. DH and myself with 4 kids 15,14,14 and 7.
7 year old has Aspergers. All are good travellers.

Plan is Lima, Amazon Lodge near, Puerto Maldonado, Sacred Valley, Machu Picchu, Cisco, Quito, Galapagos cruise, Quito home.

Does anyone have any recommendations for activities, tours, guides, must see, must do or great accommodation for families?

OP’s posts: |
swimster01 Thu 22-Feb-18 19:27:44

Hi,

We had a family itinerary for Peru this year but are going elsewhere. instead - tbh, we were struggling to fill 2 weeks in Peru for a family friendly holiday and I got the impression July was a bit rough sea wise in the Galapagos ...

Anyway, you need to check out the jab/anti-malarial requirement , especially for Amazon. Also, check availability of tickets at Machu Picchu - was told these sell out very quickly and need to be booked in advance.

For Amazon, we looked at Refugio Amazonas and Tambopata Research Centre - all activities are provided by lodgings. We were going to stay 3 -4 nights here.

Flight to Cusco - accommodation Sonesta Posada del Inca (was suggested by tour company but not sure has a pool etc). Kayaking on Lake Piuray was recommended, Machu Picchu obviously, . hike to the ruins of Ollantaytambo (iapparently all downhill and perfect for kids) and then a Pachamanca lunch, visit to Choco museum. Tour operator suggested 6 nights for this aspect.

Hope that helps

BubblesBuddy Fri 23-Feb-18 00:23:11

Two weeks is more than possible in Peru!!! I would strongly recommend you do an organised trip with someone like ultimate travel or families worldwide. Someone who actually offers family centred trips and knows the countries. We did Peru and Ecuador totally separately a couple of years apart. So much to see in each! Also the Ecuadorean Lodge in the rainforest was better - La Selva. Far better guides.

I do not know if any boats take direct bookings in the Galapagos. You may also have transport problems if it’s not organised for you. I just wouldn’t do this as a diy.

Our Peru trip had a brilliant leader for the group. I think it was families worldwide for that one. We did Araquipa, Lake Titicaca, Cuzco, Sacred Valley, Machu Pitchu, rainforest lodge (can’t remember which one but it was by a lake with giant otters) and Lima. It was a fantastic trip. Great for the children and there were local markets, ruins, railway trips and great food.

In Ecuador we did Quito, Ottavalo, La Selva in the rainforest (brilliant lodge also by a lake) and the Galapagos on “The Beagle”. The trip was for 1 week in the Galapagos and it was a family centred trip. All guests were families. All lodges and boats are all inclusive meals and activities. That’s standard.

The 7 year old must follow strict rules on the Galapagos islands regarding touching animals and birds and staying on the footpaths is vital. If 7 year old DC cannot do that, consider waiting until a few years time. We had a 9 year old with us with Aspergers and he didn’t really enjoy it. His parents just left him to it and the guide was furious and said he would be banned if he kept touching the birds. It’s just not allowed! We went at Easter but I think the Galapagos is ok all year round. There are considerable distances between the islands. It’s not a short day sail between them.

I would strongly suggest a tour operator that knows the time of day and has family trips. You need three weeks at least to do this and very deep pockets.

inniu Fri 23-Feb-18 11:13:40

Thank you both for your advice.
I don't think we can do an organised trip because we are tied to specific dates.
Trailfinders are putting together a bespoke itinerary so we have input as to what we are doing and where we are staying.
We have used Trailfinders before and I found although they were good with flights and hotels their guides were hit and miss and some of the guides/tours and activities I found myself were better.
The Galapagos cruise currently on the plan is family and child oriented so hopefully that will work. I don't think him touching animals will be a problem.
For Machu Picchu I wanted to stay at the Belmont Sanctuary so that if the 7 year old has enough one of us can bring him back to the hotel and then we can swap over.

I will look in to the hikes, kayaking and chocolate making.

And yes it will cost a fortune but I hope it will be worth it.

swimster01 Fri 23-Feb-18 18:53:06

You would save a lot if you booked it independently and have a wider choice of accommodation, but understand not everyone is comfortable with the risk,

BubblesBuddy Sun 25-Feb-18 22:23:05

It is absolutely worth it. I think the Sanctuary Hotel is a good idea.

The problem with Machu Pitchu is that there are huge drops from one area down to another so keep tabs on your 7 year old for safety. He will be absolutely fascinated by everything on the various islands you will visit in the Galapagos. As will you! Have fun planning.

inniu Mon 26-Feb-18 10:02:11

I will keep hold of him in Machu Picchu. We were in Yellowstone last summer so I had practice keeping him safe from the boiling hot pools.

Glad I didn't try to book directly. Have already had to get trailfinders to find us a business centre in the Sacred Valley so DH can do a 6 hour conference call one day.

BlueRabbitWasNaughty Fri 20-Apr-18 22:31:49

I've just found your thread as I'm currently researching the Galápagos Islands. Have you got your holiday planned? We spent nearly three weeks in Peru over this Christmas and had the most amazing time - I'm very jealous that you have it ahead of you!

Are you doing a cruise around the Galapagos or planning a land based stay? I'm just looking at the options for a visit with two dc aged 12 and 14. We probably should have visited when we were in Peru but decided to go else where instead and ran out of time.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in