Talk

Advanced search

Breastfeeding in UAE

(8 Posts)
Ilikecakes Tue 13-Feb-18 09:46:53

Looking at Ras Al Khaimah for upcoming Easter holidays, but I'll still be breastfeeding DS (5 months old by then).

All the googling I've done suggests that I shouldn't have any trouble feeding in public, but everything I've read talks about 'feeding discreetly', turning away if you're near anyone you imagine would be offended etc, but how does this work in practice? Ie is a muslin draped over baby's head discreet enough or would I need to get one of those mammoth stupid covers specific for feeding?

The UAE recently passed a law requiring mothers to BF their babies for two years what the fuck so on paper I should be fine, but would be interested to hear experiences from anyone who's actually fed in public there, and whether it was an issue at all.

MollyHuaCha Tue 13-Feb-18 09:57:47

Two years? What happens when babies decide they've had enough as happened with all mine at around 9 months?

Ilikecakes Tue 13-Feb-18 10:01:59

Yes, ridiculous and not debating that at all! But have you fed there at all? Any ideas on my question?

converseandjeans Tue 13-Feb-18 10:05:24

Out of interest why do you want to go there? With a tiny baby there must be other places you could visit where you weren't worried about this.

Ilikecakes Tue 13-Feb-18 10:11:03

I want predictably good weather so that my older three children can enjoy beach activities and swimming pool.

I don't want the very long haul options of Caribbean/Mexico etc and as Easter is so early this year, the Canaries aren't guaranteed to be warm and sunny either.

Ilikecakes Tue 13-Feb-18 15:03:52

Bump! smile

InvisibleUnicorn Tue 13-Feb-18 16:13:40

It's fine! You can feed anywhere you like but the nicest difference to the UK is there are lovely squashy big sofas outside the female loos in large malls (not IN the loos, sort of in an extra bit) you can feed a baby there instead if you like.

You're not forced there though! And as 90% of people who live there are expats, you'll be in restaurants and hotels with all sorts of nationalities.

RAK is a bit more conservative than Dubai, but presuming you are mostly going to be based in a western style hotel, you don't need to worry.

Ilikecakes Tue 13-Feb-18 18:06:58

Thanks a mil invisible thanks

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: