Talk

Advanced search

Florida - what time is best to go?

(20 Posts)
sweetkitty Sun 11-Feb-18 20:39:16

Starting to plan our big Florida trip we've dreamt of for year, 4DC. Got to go in school holidays as I'm a teacher so when would you recommend going? Easter or end of June/beginning July?

Thanks

budgiegirl Mon 12-Feb-18 08:14:02

I’d go at Easter over July. July can be very hot and humid, with quite a lot of thunderstorms and rain showers (although these are generally short)

The weather is much nicer at Easter, still quite hot and sunny, with fewer storms, and not nearly as humid.

The Easter weekend is very busy though. If your school holidays allow, I’d do 10 days or so doing the parks prior to Easter, then either go to the beach for the Easter weekend, or budget for ‘skip the line’ passes ( depending on which park you’re going to).

swimster01 Mon 12-Feb-18 08:21:32

Yes, Easter is better than July. July is better than October.

sweetkitty Mon 12-Feb-18 09:53:13

Thank you, only thing about Easter is we only have 2 weeks holidays so it would be a rush when we get back IYSWIM.

sweetkitty Mon 12-Feb-18 09:53:42

Can't do October as only have one weeks holiday.

Pompom42 Mon 12-Feb-18 09:55:24

We went last year July into August. Yes thunderstorms but we didn’t mind as quite refreshing. I don’t mind extreme heat but I know it’s not for everyone.
If I went again I’m looking at Easter for next time. Seems to be cheaper too.

Valentinesfart Mon 12-Feb-18 09:56:32

Easter is nicer weather but it's also spring break and depending on where you go it's best avoided for the hordes of drunk teenage students who descend upon it.

Autumn is still hot if you have time off and winter can actually be really nice if you are doing Disney and theme parks etc with all the Christmas decorations.

Valentinesfart Mon 12-Feb-18 09:58:09

29 Average high for October
25 Average high for November
23 Average high for December.

Valentinesfart Mon 12-Feb-18 09:59:39

I've just google and found that the average high for London in August is also 23 grin

Valentinesfart Mon 12-Feb-18 10:04:23

Autumn is also cheaper for hotels and theme parks as it's the off season, and they will be quieter.

Xocaraic Mon 12-Feb-18 10:30:43

We got to Florida and the parks quite a bit (every 18months approx)
Easter is very pleasant time to be there if Easter is late like this year (1st April) however, it is very busy (at the parks) so bear that in mind in terms of waiting in line.
I love Florida at Christmas time. Usually lovely weather compared to Blighty and you have the Christmas parades etc in the parks.

Appuskidu Mon 12-Feb-18 10:35:47

We have been at Easter (teacher here too) and the weather was glorious. Flip flops and dresses for a fortnight. Flew back on the Sunday morning and back to work on the Monday. It was busy but worth it.

sweetkitty Mon 12-Feb-18 15:07:44

It's either got to be Easter or end of June (am in Scotland) Autumn and December are no nos. I do love the heat and the spring break thing is putting me off a wee bit.

2019 spring break is 1st-12th April inclusive with the actual Easter weekend 19th-22nd of April so we will be off 2 weeks, back 4 days and off a long weekend. Summer holidays start on the 28th of June.

mummymeister Tue 13-Feb-18 15:12:20

We went over Christmas and New year and the weather was perfect for us. certainly would not want to go in the summer as it will be very, very hot. if you haven't got them already buy the books WDW with kids and beyond WDW with kids. they were an absolute godsend to us with planning help and so many friends I know have got them for this reason. saved us a lot of money on things as well.

walkingdowntheboulevard Tue 13-Feb-18 15:56:06

I wouldn't go July unless you can cope with heat and humidity. We made that mistake. I've never been more pleased to land at a dismal, wet Manchester airport. People say Christmas is a good time to go.

PoptartPoptart Wed 14-Feb-18 22:54:46

We went for the last two weeks of August. It’s quieter in the parks than in July/beginning of August as American Schools go back mid August.

VodkaKnockers Sat 17-Feb-18 16:53:08

We went the 1st 2wks of the Scottish holidays in 2015.

Yes it was hot and humid but we expected that. We got thunderstorms but didn't really impact our days and tbh we were grateful for the rain.

Park wise Easter is pretty busy. Spring Break differs from state to state & Orlando is pretty popular with spring breakers. We did Easter last year and it has put us off going at that time again.

There doesn't seem to be quiet times now for the parks. I know people over there right now and some of the ride wait times as still ridiculous (3+ hrs!)

Icklepickle101 Sat 17-Feb-18 16:55:11

Definitely Easter

VodkaKnockers Sat 17-Feb-18 16:55:32

Just as a side, Christmas is the busiest time of year for the parks. Magic Kingdom actually closed at lunchtime on Christmas day due to being at capacity.

Easter tends to be the 2nd busiest

HermioneWeasley Sat 17-Feb-18 16:58:00

Easter. I couldn’t cope with the heat and humidity in summer, and the parks are still really busy. Do not go at Xmas

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: