Talk

Advanced search

Mexico for October half term

(13 Posts)
FlippyNeck Tue 06-Feb-18 13:11:06

I was thinking about the Canaries for October half term for me and DS (he'll be 10 then) but spotted Mexico, direct flights AI for not much more than my original budget, with good flight times. It looks like we'd get more bang for our buck in terms of hotel facilities, luxury etc and now I really fancy it!

Do I need to worry about it being hurricane season? I'd also love to hear recommendations for where to stay, I'm a bit overwhelmed by the choice! I'm a single parent, I'd like a great kids club for DS, good food, a spa for me and a real chance to relax in the sun for both of us. On a lovely beach with some easy snorkelling and nearby shopping for me (to feed my Sephora addiction) would be a bonus.

dontcallmethatyoucunt Tue 06-Feb-18 17:55:09

Usually the hurricanes are done by then. You could get unlucky and it's already taken a battering, but that's the case with anywhere in the area.

AttilaTheMeerkat Tue 06-Feb-18 18:10:00

Foreign Office travel advice is as follows:-

www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/mexico/natural-disasters

FlippyNeck Tue 06-Feb-18 21:20:13

Thanks for the responses. Bumping for hotel recommendations.

dontcallmethatyoucunt Tue 06-Feb-18 21:36:35

www.hayesandjarvis.co.uk/holidays/mexico/yucatan-peninsula/hotels/now-sapphire-riviera-cancun

Is where my colleague is off to.

sluj Tue 06-Feb-18 21:41:42

Mexico is wonderful, I've been to both coasts but prefer the Yucatan. However I wouldn't make that journey for a week's holiday. It's too far.

Playa del Carmen and the Riviera Maya are all great. Actually Cancun is also worth a look and nearer to the airport.

user1485155939 Tue 06-Feb-18 21:47:22

Sensatiori in Riveria Maya is stunning 😊

dontcallmethatyoucunt Wed 07-Feb-18 08:09:17

We go to Miami for a week with kids (family visits) and DC are fine. A bit longer to Mexico, but not much. Depends how good they are at sleeping!

swimster01 Wed 07-Feb-18 08:12:30

Prime hurricane season in October - personally I wouldn't risk it then.

FlippyNeck Wed 07-Feb-18 10:45:25

Thanks again! Sensatori is very tempting! I liked the look of Hard Rock RM, but no availability for our dates. DS is great on planes and the flight times are good - half term is longer than a week, so we might manage 10 days.

dontcallmethatyoucunt Wed 07-Feb-18 11:23:24

It's the very end of Oct into November though

ReggaeTramp Thu 08-Feb-18 18:33:55

We went to Tulum on the Yucutan in October half term and had two days of perfect sunshine and five of constant rain - not stormy but just miserable. Don’t know whether we just got unlucky but I’m not sure I would risk it at that time of year again.

Naughtysausage Thu 08-Feb-18 18:38:48

We went for a week in October to playa del carmen and we had one day of sunshine. JUST ONE.
On the plus side I didn't burn at all.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: