Talk

Advanced search

Thailand - help to plan a trip please

(6 Posts)
Scroobius Mon 05-Feb-18 21:09:01

We have booked 3 weeks in Thailand in July/August with our 10 month old and 5 year old.
We are going to a wedding on Ko Chang island (which explains why we’d take a baby to Thailand). I have already booked hotels in Bangkok (3 days) and Ko Chang (6 days).
My plan at the minute is to then take the sleeper train to stay in Chiang Mai for 4 days then fly down to Surat Thani to stay in the jungle at Khao Sok for a couple of days before heading back to Bangkok for our flight home. Does this sound like a good way to spend the rest of the holiday? Anyone have any hotel recommendations? And finally any must do/see activities for us please?

mmgirish Wed 07-Feb-18 12:47:03

That sounds fun but I wouldn't take a 10 month old on a sleeper unless I really had to. They could cry and keep everyone awake. Plus it's a long long journey just to stay in Chiang Mai for 4 days. Fly to Chiang Mai with Nok Air/Air Asia/Thai Smile. It's quicker, cheaper and easier.

Also, I didn't think you can fly from Chiang Mai to Surat Thani directly?

Scroobius Wed 07-Feb-18 12:53:49

Ah ok thanks, we were going to book the 1st class cabin on the train so we’d be away from others (plus the 5 year old is more likely to stay awake than the baby 😂) but it’s a good point about the journey length.
Yeah I didn’t think you would be able to fly without going to Bangkok first but there are quite a few direct flights now.

kimball Wed 07-Feb-18 13:11:25

Sounds like a lovely trip. A sling will be useful for the baby as strollers are only good for walking in the park or a mall. The pavements are useless in Thailand.

For Chiang Mai, have a look to see if these might interest your 5 YO - Elephant Poopoo Paper Park, Ginger Farm, Hidden Village, Art in Paradise 3D Museum. For grown ups - Doi Suthep Temple, Wat Umong, MaiIam Art Museum. Walking street is also fun if you are there over the weekend. Enjoy your trip!

PS. If you need to cross to the islands on the ferry think about bringing a life jacket that will fit the baby.

mmgirish Wed 07-Feb-18 13:38:04

Maybe it’s changed since the last time I was on a sleeper but the 1st class section isn’t private cabins. I screamed as a flying cockroach flew at my head and woke other people up...they were NOT happy (unsurprisingly).

You should buy the Thai Lonely Planet. It lists lots of things to do with kids. I find that my 6ds and 3ds like to go and see the same things as adults though.

I love Northern Thailand. We’re going on Sunday to Chiang Mai to do the Mae Hong Son Loop for half term. The kids can’t wait to go to Doi Inthanon which is Thailand’s highest mountain. Have fun!

Scroobius Wed 07-Feb-18 19:21:39

Wow thank you both, love your suggestions. We just need to find time to fit them in!
I’ll have a closer look at the train thanks mmgirish, I had thought from the pictures it was a cabin but perhaps not.
Elephant poopoo Park sounds exactly like the perfect sort of thing for the 5 year old!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now