Talk

Advanced search

Can't top Florida!

(34 Posts)
teabag20048 Sun 04-Feb-18 10:37:46

Had a holiday of a lifetime last year for us 2 weeks in Orlando, Florida. Children are 13 + 9. I just can't find anything to do this year, 1 week abroad in one room ends up being the same price as a 2 week villa in Florida! Any ideas? Don't want a beach holiday or anywhere too hot in the summer holidays!

somewhereovertherain Sun 04-Feb-18 10:58:51

Really can’t top Florida. Fuck me theres a whole world out there.

Unihorn Sun 04-Feb-18 11:01:11

Yeah we have this problem too. It's ideal for a family with children of that age for the prices you can go for.

Rainymorning Sun 04-Feb-18 11:01:42

Mix it up a bit! We had an amazing trip last year - flew into Miami (cheaper flights) stayed 3 nights on South Beach then drove up to Orlando for 9 nights and did universal and sea world parks. We then drove across to Indian Rocks beach on the gulf coast for a week and had the most stunning relaxing time there. Then back to Miami for 2 nights staying downtown to see that side of it.
It’s fantastic there, go back, it’s not all theme parks

Matildatoldsuchdreadfullies Sun 04-Feb-18 11:03:27

What's your budget?

Littlelambpeep Sun 04-Feb-18 11:06:20

Why not go back if you love it? In a few years your children will be grown up

Unihorn Sun 04-Feb-18 11:20:47

For honeymoon we did a split stay between Disney and Mexico if that would be something you'd consider. We stayed near lots of cenotes on the Riviera Maya so did lots of snorkelling and ziplines.

teabag20048 Sun 04-Feb-18 15:27:36

Sounds great.

whosafraidofabigduckfart Sun 04-Feb-18 22:42:31

Mine (although slighly younger than yours) said they’d rather a safari than Florida ?

mummymeister Mon 05-Feb-18 10:08:08

Yes you can!
Belize - English speaking, jungles with howler monkeys, zip lining, tube floating, tarantula tickling, snorkelling with sharks and rays and loads more.

Western Canada - rockies, glacier walk, bears in the wild, white water rafting,

Oregon - fantastic holiday with more white water rafting, sailing/windsurfing, swimming in lakes with snow topped mountains behind, cycling, walking and everything outdoorsy.

The first time in Florida will be really exciting, if you go back for a second year it will be all a bit too familiar.

Somewhereovertheroad Mon 05-Feb-18 11:06:50

Go to California, you can still do a couple of days of disney / universal but also loads of beaches etc you could combine it with San Francisco

BubblesBuddy Mon 05-Feb-18 20:04:48

California, Peru, Alaska cruise, any safari (mine loved them), South Africa - endless choice!

DiplomaticDecorum Wed 07-Feb-18 10:44:19

It's the price though - safari and Alaska and South Africa are fantastic, but Florida is so cheap in comparison. Go again, but stay away from Orlando.

teabag20048 Wed 07-Feb-18 11:13:09

Have been looking at California. Also Boston and surrounding area. Safari is not really something we'd be interested in. What made me post was looking at holidays in Spain, France one week in may half term was over £3000, without spending, car hire, 2 weeks in Florida doesn't cost much more.

DiplomaticDecorum Wed 07-Feb-18 20:33:54

We were supposed to be going to Spain at Easter, but ended up booking Florida (the state, not Orlando) for less than £650 each (17 nights, flight, car, rooms inc. breakfast).

Pompom42 Wed 07-Feb-18 20:39:07

I’ve been thinking about this too. I went to Florida last year with my 2 girls 12 and 2.
Holiday of a lifetime or so I thought. Eldest daughter saying she wants to again. I’ve been looking at prices and some of them were coming up so cheap for 2 weeks plus car hire etc.
Only thing I find is I’d need to find the money for the park tickets and I found the food to be fairly expensive when I went. I went previously in 2001 before I had any children and I remembered the food as being soooo cheap. This time around I think I spent £1,000 on food alone for 4 people for 2 weeks.

teabag20048 Wed 07-Feb-18 20:52:07

Wow that's good. What are you planning on doing there? Will you go to the parks?

Musicalstatues Wed 07-Feb-18 20:55:15

Just keep going back! That’s what we do! Every year we say maybe we should go somewhere else this time, so far we have not managed it.

teabag20048 Wed 07-Feb-18 20:55:36

Pompom42. We went last year, its not cheap once out there now is it? I was thinking if we went again this soon to do things we didn't do last year Space Kennedy, Busch gardens, old town Kissimmee, celebration etc. Not just head for Disney and universal. My DD would go tomorrow but DS said he'd like to go somewhere else this year.

MinnieMousse Wed 07-Feb-18 21:04:19

What made me post was looking at holidays in Spain, France one week in may half term was over £3000

What type of holiday are you looking for? I'm doing two weeks in a cottage in France in the summer holidays for half that price. For £3000 you could get a really nice house with a pool in France and get the ferry over. Can you really get Florida for the same price?? When I looked it was coming out at well over that, especially once you factor in park tickets.

Is £3000 your budget? Do you want hotel/villa? All inclusive? If you like theme parks there are several in Europe - I think Port Aventura in Spain is often recommended.

Pompom42 Thu 08-Feb-18 07:04:08

Yes teabag this is my thinking too. Although we went Busch Gardens last time I’d like to do Kennedy S Centre, Epcot, try 2 other water parks we didn’t get to try Volcano Bay etc, Old Town on the Saturday night to see the car show and spend bit more time at Disney springs etc
I’m looking at 2020 now probably
We are off to Spain 10 nights this year costing £3,800 🙈

Pompom42 Thu 08-Feb-18 07:05:08

I’ve been to Portaventura in Salou few years back. It is good 😀

VodkaKnockers Sat 17-Feb-18 17:05:36

We've just booked our 3rd trip in 6yrs. Originally went into the travel agent Sri book 1wk in Spain for this year and was quoted around £2k! 2wks in Florida for next yr is costing us £3k

17CherryTreeLane Sat 17-Feb-18 17:08:38

We went there Singapore, and the kids declared it better than florida. There was so much to do there!

AccidentallyRunToWindsor Sat 17-Feb-18 17:16:07

So many better places than Florida!

Sri Lanka, Thailand, Vietnam are all family friendly. Cuba I diddnt like myself as it was a package AI type holiday but there were lots of children there and there is some culture at least!

I've heard good things about Costa Rica too although I've not been

Even short haul places like Croatia or Cyprus maybe?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now