Talk

Advanced search

How much spending money for AI in Mexico?

(11 Posts)
Canyouguess Thu 01-Feb-18 06:26:04

Single mum with two young children. I’ve splurged on an AI 9 day holiday to Mexico after a somewhat tumultuous year.

We leave on a fortnight. I have never been on a AI hol before.

How much spending money should I bring? I have already arranged on day excursion costing $150 but other than that we will mostly be spending our time swimming / beach / free non motorised water sports.

Tipping?!

Thanks so much

Coyoacan Thu 01-Feb-18 06:28:54

Do tip please, the wages are atrocious in Mexico. Otherwise I haven't a clue

Chasingsquirrels Thu 01-Feb-18 06:32:22

I took mt 2 children to Kos on AI last summer.
It was a total relaxation, do nothing break.
I spent €1.50 on a new pack of cards and <€10 on food in the airport coming home!

Canyouguess Thu 01-Feb-18 06:35:43

But what about tipping chasing?

Yes I’m absolutely going to tip.

Looking for guidance as to when and how much? Ie tip maids every day or at the beginning/ end? Tip bartenders after every drink or when you leave? Etc

Passthecake30 Thu 01-Feb-18 06:36:16

Do you think you'll leave the hotel? Go to markets, get extra toiletries if needed, buy souvenirs etc?

I know some people don't even set foot outside, so if that's the case just take a little cash for emergencies..., but I would, I'd explore and probably eat outside on occasion too and end up spending about £300 I think.

Canyouguess Thu 01-Feb-18 06:50:59

I’ve booked a full day excursion for us. I will pay for that with a card.

But it’s remote and I’m alone with two young children so we will be pool and beachside other than the trip.

So I’m thinking $100 in tips and then $100 emergency?

Curlybrunette Sat 03-Feb-18 14:38:33

We hardly spend anything when we're AI. I think your plan of $200 sounds fine.

Have a fantastic time
X

Almostthere15 Sun 04-Feb-18 22:58:59

I'd tip daily because you don't always have the same housekeeping staff. I took Mexican currency, some people said they prefer dollars but since you're changing it anyway I'd just take the local currency. Also, I guess everything has changed since Trump.

In terms of bars etc I'd tip when I was done at that bar for the day, so our last drink.

If the children are likely to want anything in the hotel gift shop you can usually use cards but it might be worth budgeting some for that.

You'll have a lovely time, enjoy!

Fintress Fri 09-Feb-18 08:50:02

The one thing I would advise is to take a credit card for emergencies if you can. We had to use ours for the first time ever on our last trip as I was ill. Nothing serious but it cost 400 quid for medical help.

We took USD to Mexico last year. You will love it. We booked as a last minute holiday and it wasn't somewhere we yearned to go to but it ended up being one of the best holidays we've had!

ihatethecold Fri 09-Feb-18 08:54:27

I took £500 with me. Only because I wanted to buy a snorkelling trip for my teen and I.
We also got excarat tickets and transport.
We did leave the resort one night to eat out in Playa del Carmen.
We also walked to Starbucks a few times for frappes.

You will have an amazing time. It’s a fab country with really friendly lovely people.

backinthatdress Fri 16-Feb-18 11:11:28

we are going to mexico for 14 nights Al in april. 2 adults and 2 children, we will be taking approx £1000.
kids are going to want crap from the gift shop, will probs eat out a couple times, maybe a day trip and tips. no plans to spend it all but i wouldnt like to be stuck in the hotel thinking that i cant afford to go out today as i have no money. hope you have a good time

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now