Talk

Advanced search

Flying to oz with 6 month old

(15 Posts)
Christina9117 Mon 29-Jan-18 19:41:47

Hi I'm flying to oz in a few months to join my husband who is currently over there I was wondering what the best plan of action is with a 6 month old 1 stop over or 2 and any tips for traveling alone with a baby it's his first flight so I don't know how he flys please any advice is appriciated

LyricalGangster Mon 29-Jan-18 19:47:39

Id just have one stop over.

6 months is actually a really good age to fly as they are not yet really crawling and are happy to have lots of snuggles on your lap.

Feed milk (either breast or bottle) on take off landing - it eases pressure in their ears.

Pack one hand luggage with just baby bits. Far more nappies and wet wipes and changes of baby clothes than you think you'll need, its best to take 20 nappies and only use 2 rather than bringing 5 nappies but needing 7... also have a change of clothes for you in hand luggage in case of vomit/poonami

Christina9117 Mon 29-Jan-18 20:04:26

Thank you so much for the advice and yea i always take wayyyy more nappies than I need lol my new mantra is better to have and not need than need and not have lol x

Lotsofplanetshaveanorth Mon 29-Jan-18 20:34:47

Have done it lots of times - I would go one stopover. Queues and toilet stops and security and airports are in my experience more stressful than the flight so I would limit the transition points.

Re hand luggage: well of course have enough but try and resist over packing because if you are not paying for a seat for little one there might not be heaps of space.

However awful it is it’s only 20 odd hours of your life (repeat repeat repeat)

You may be lucky and get a bassinet but don’t bank on it so be prepared to hold little one for hours.

Also don’t be surprised if the air hostesses don’t help - once I flew on my own with a couple of tiny ones and I got really tearful when no one helped me- felt like I was invisible and got really overwhelmed. At the end of the flight the staff said they weren’t allowed to pick up kids. If I had known that from the outset I wouldn’t have minded in the slightest - just felt really awful because I thought no one cared that I was doing it really hard!

Christina9117 Mon 29-Jan-18 20:49:01

Again thank you for your advice especially about the staff as I have been told previously that they would help if I did get overwhelmed x

halfwitpicker Mon 29-Jan-18 20:51:03

One stopover.

As a pp said, it's a good age as they are not yet crawling.

AnakinCyberwalker Mon 29-Jan-18 20:57:54

Maybe try for a single long stop in Singapore... pre book into the transit hotel so you can shower, rest and even sleep a bit.

AnakinCyberwalker Mon 29-Jan-18 21:00:12

www.changiairport.com/en/airport-experience/attractions-and-services/transit-hotels.html

Lotsofplanetshaveanorth Mon 29-Jan-18 21:03:13

Oooh yes transit hotel in Singapore is fab.

Christina9117 Mon 29-Jan-18 21:22:22

I didn't think of making the stop over a long one and getting rest that is an excellent idea thank you

ToesInWater Wed 31-Jan-18 12:31:14

I would fly Singapore Airlines if you can, they are very helpful with kids. Ties in nicely with a rest/stopover at Changi airport.

bimbobaggins Sun 11-Feb-18 17:31:08

I personally would only have one stopover, where you don’t actually have to leave the airport. My two r3cent trips to oz we have been in Dubai for under 2 hours. I find the check in/security getting luggage etc the most stressful part and try to limit it .

ILOVEALLCAKES Sun 11-Feb-18 19:41:50

I flew to Oz with my DD when she was 5 months. She coped really well with it. Pack a sling/carrier so you can go for a walk around the plane, knowing that you have 2 free hands if the plane should get a bit bumpy.

LambChopsMcGee Fri 16-Feb-18 20:04:23

I wrote a post after I visited NZ with my 5mo DD, giving my experiences and ideas, if you find that useful

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/longhaul/2893504-My-experiences-from-a-long-haul-trip

rebelrosie12 Fri 16-Feb-18 20:10:29

I would definitely not stop over in Singapore. It's wonderful to do (love it there) but getting in and out of the airport, taxis and then back again the next day, I'd find that very stressful.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: