Talk

Advanced search

Hotel near a rainforest

(35 Posts)
AramintaDePea Sat 27-Jan-18 18:24:00

Has anyone been to a nice hotel near a rainforest? Totally open on location/country just looking for something special after a hard few years.

Thanks.

AramintaDePea Sat 27-Jan-18 18:30:26

Forgot to say it will be July/August.

Fekko Sat 27-Jan-18 18:31:26

New Zealand - in a rainforest! Awesome.

dun1urkin Sat 27-Jan-18 18:33:53

Fekko, I was about to say exactly the same thing!!
Weather might not be up to much in July/August though

Fekko Sat 27-Jan-18 18:40:41

It’s a Rainforest - it’s going to be a bit damp! We’ve been in’summer’ and it’s rained constantly!

dun1urkin Sat 27-Jan-18 18:43:14

I’m sure we were lucky when we stayed. One day a bit drizzly. One of glorious sunshine (early January)

Fekko Sat 27-Jan-18 18:43:32

AND YOU CAN WALK ON GLACIERS AND SEE LITTLE BLUE PENGUINS!!!

(Deep breath)

ThatWasNotLove Sat 27-Jan-18 18:44:42

Do you mean a warm rainforest? Tofino on the Western coast of Vancouver Island has a rainforest near it (across the bay, can kayak there). But it's not a steamy one!!

BubblesBuddy Sat 27-Jan-18 20:10:03

The best rainforest is in the Amazon Basin (South America) if you want the most interesting wildlife. It’s a bit nearer than NZ. It’s hot and steamy as you would expect. The best trip we did was stay at Selva Lodge in Ecuador. Fantastic. It was by a lake and you felt very far from anything.

There are also great lodges in Peru and we saw giant otters where we stayed in the Manu area. Birdlife is also prolific. You can stay in the Brazilian Rainforest too.

The NZ and Canadian rain forests are temperate rainforests which support totally different wildlife. The one you are probably familiar with is the Amazon where are fantastic parrots, caiman and even a tarantula!

littleme96 Sat 27-Jan-18 20:30:49

The Datai or the Andaman in Langkawi.

We stayed at the Datai and it was amazing!

mummymeister Sun 28-Jan-18 00:08:37

Belize - not sure about the weather at that time of year but its different and its rainforest has howler monkeys that pelt you with things if you get too close.

tellybear Sun 28-Jan-18 00:16:24

It was 2015, but it was great. Properly in the rainforest
www.sandovallakelodge.com/

AramintaDePea Sun 28-Jan-18 01:10:32

These all sound great, thank you. We have family to visit in New Zealand but not until 2019 so won't be going there this summer, but thanks for the suggestion anyway.

I've seen the Datai in a brochure before and love the look of it but I think it may be slightly (!) over budget.

swimster01 Sun 28-Jan-18 07:38:58

Hotel no, but lodges yes. Borneo is perfect that time of year. Other places that spring to mind are Peru, Brazil and Costa Rica.

MummaGiles Sun 28-Jan-18 07:40:45

I second langkawi. We stayed at the Berjaya which was wonderful.

Aghaidh Sun 28-Jan-18 07:54:27

The Wickaninnish in Tofino, Canada. Stayed there before and it was heavenly. Right on the beach, with eagles soaring past your window. Be sure to get the boat trips to go whale and bear watching.

CrabappleBiscuit Sun 28-Jan-18 08:02:13

Tofino is an amazing place. Chilled, beautiful....

Costa Rica? Friends wen5 and loved it.

canihaveacoffeeplease Sun 28-Jan-18 08:09:21

Mashpi lodge in Ecuador, it’s in a cloud forest, absolutely amazing!!

MardAsSnails Sun 28-Jan-18 16:05:40

Borneo.

Bunga Raya for fancy villas with pools, backing onto a rainforest and with awesome snorkelling off the beach (and a zipline to another island)

Sukau Rainforest Lodge for staying IN the forest, or Borneo Eco Lodge.

We loved it

SisterNotCis Sun 28-Jan-18 16:19:40

St Lucia has a national rain forest. We stayed by the beach and went to the forest for the day.

venys Sun 28-Jan-18 16:30:19

Oh yes Mashpi lodge in Ecuador looks amazing. It was on TV last year. We have stayed here in Belize and it was lush - the waterfall.is deafening ,(which I love) and loads of wildlife on your doorstep. www.blackrocklodge.com - there are other good lodges in the area too. Let me look up.ome we stayed in Amazon..hang on a Mo.

AramintaDePea Sun 28-Jan-18 16:36:01

You guys are brilliant, thank you all for these, I've got a busy night checking them out!

venys Sun 28-Jan-18 16:36:31

Here in Peru Puerto Maldonado. Didn't want to go down river to a lodge as we didn't have much time. But amazing Thai food, monekys and a good vibe. You can combine this trip with a visit to Macchu Picchu?! www.anacondajunglelodge.com

decena Sun 28-Jan-18 19:51:09

Relatively close and cheaoed than S America - Grenada in the Caribbean . But what are you wanting IN the rainforest? Because it doesn't necessarily equate to lots of wildlife or bird life. Costa Rica is your best bet for that. Or Belize.

BubblesBuddy Sun 28-Jan-18 20:01:45

The Amazon is the greatest rainforest on earth. It was actually Sandoval Lodge we stayed at in Peru but Selva is better in Ecuador. It has an aerial walkway and better guides.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: