Talk

Advanced search

Cuba - how to get CUC? Don't take dollars?

(8 Posts)
RJnomore1 Sun 21-Jan-18 23:19:10

Cruising for a week with two days in Cuba.

TRAVEL agent says take follsrsbit online says I need to convert to CUC and I'd lose more on dollars than sterling.

Anyone able to advise?

OP’s posts: |
RJnomore1 Sun 21-Jan-18 23:19:36

Sorry agent says take US dollars

AttilaTheMeerkat Mon 22-Jan-18 08:41:51

This is from the Foreign Office travel advice on Cuba re money:-

"Cuba operates a dual currency system. Visitors usually use the Cuban Convertible Peso (CUC), whereas locals use the Cuban Peso (CUP). The CUP is worth much less than the CUC; check transaction sums carefully. US dollars aren’t accepted as legal tender; you’ll be charged 10% commission to exchange them.

Check with your bank before you travel to confirm that your debit, credit and ATM cards will work in Cuba. If your bank can’t confirm this then you should bring sterling or euros in cash, or travellers cheques. Bank notes should be in good condition with no tears, rips or markings. American Express travellers cheques aren’t accepted in Cuba.

Travellers cheques and credit cards drawn on American banks aren’t widely accepted. There are virtually no ATMs available for drawing cash against Cirrus or Switch cards. Scottish and Northern Irish bank notes can’t be exchanged. Credit card transactions, including withdrawals from ATMs, are subject to local commission charges of approximately 3% in addition to your bank transaction charges.

Don’t change money anywhere other than at Cadeca exchange houses, large hotels or banks, due to the prevalence of forged currency. Always check transactions carefully. Where possible ask for small denomination bills. Ignore individuals offering exchange facilities to avoid queues".

RJnomore1 Mon 22-Jan-18 08:43:36

I'm obviously an idiot, never thought to look there blush

It's first time we've gone out of Europe and I feel a bit green.

St3amro0m Wed 31-Jan-18 15:45:41

Took £ changed to Cuc each time at hotel . US dollars get a WORSE exchange rate. Spend all your Cuc before you leave. If you wish leave sweets, toiletries, for the local people

St3amro0m Wed 31-Jan-18 15:47:31

You will need a visa. Check if your airline will be providing a free one. Or you can buy one from embassy before you travel

MazDazzle Wed 31-Jan-18 15:51:13

We’ve been to Cuba twice. The first time (8 years ago) we were told not to take dollars, but everywhere we went, that’s what they wanted.

This time, we got CUC from the post office and used our debit/credit cards when we were there (Barclay card/Halifax). Where about in Cuba are you going?

MazDazzle Wed 31-Jan-18 15:53:23

DH has just reminded me that we got CUC from the hotel, not the post office! blush

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in