Talk

Advanced search

Xmas holidays - 3 generation family trip

(13 Posts)
dontcallmethatyoucunt Sun 21-Jan-18 14:21:39

My FIL will be on his own next Xmas and we thought we would all go away for a change of scene. I'm a bit short of ideas.

FIL is no longer a skier so somewhere warm. Long haul is good. I'd thought Sri Lanka, but wasn't sure if the weather was good enough (cold in the hills). Where else would be good?

Warm, with a bit of culture, bit of RnR. Happy to travel around a bit too.

OP’s posts: |
BubblesBuddy Sun 21-Jan-18 14:52:00

There is another thread that says Sri Lanka can be colder and wet at Christmas.

We have been to Cape Town area at Christmas and as there is little time difference, this works well. Great places to stay, good food and culture. Not too expensive either if you stay in their fantastic guest houses (more like mini hotels with superb service). Go along the Garden Route if you want to spread your wings a bit further. I cannot see why 3 generations would not love that. It would be peak season though so early booking essential. The Greenwood accommodation guides are a good resource.

We have also been to India in the Christmas holidays. The Delhi, Jaipur and Agra triangle plus Bandhavgagh Tiger reserve (may not have spelt that correctly!). Not too hot but amazing sights. You could go down to Goa to relax but that is more cosmopolitan.

We have also been to Kenya and Tanzania. Both are great destinations. You do of course have anywhere in the Caribbean but it’s high season there too. The Southern states in the USA would also appeal at that time of year. Also Brazil and Argentina. Brazil has some lovely beaches and Rio is breathtaking.

I guess a lot of ideas depend on how much you want to spend but there are some great countries to visit that you will never forget.

CraftyGin Sun 21-Jan-18 15:15:51

Caribbean cruise?

Annebronte Sun 21-Jan-18 15:28:29

We went to Sri Lanka for Christmas one year and it was hot and dry!! They have two monsoons affecting different parts of the country. So, in December, the good weather is on the south and west coasts; very wet in the east. We also travelled inland (cultural triangle, Kandy, tea country) - all good weather. I’d highly recommend! Beautiful beautiful country.

dontcallmethatyoucunt Sun 21-Jan-18 17:33:21

Thanks, some good ideas and reassurance. I think he'd love Sri Lanka, but not if it's wet and cold. He's very well travelled and it's not somewhere he's been. I'll do a bit more research.

I fancy Rio or Cape Town, but he's been to both with my MIL and it would go against the distraction we fancy providing.

I did wonder about Costa Rica too. It does seem flavour of the month at the moment though!

Annebronte Sun 21-Jan-18 21:52:14

The only place we found it slightly chilly was in Ella, up in the hill country, on the evening we arrived. The next day was glorious sun again. I always find the monthly weather/when to go maps on the Selective Asia website handy for trips to the Far East.

ShanghaiDiva Mon 22-Jan-18 05:16:36

I have been to the following places in Decemer, all fine weather wise.
Vietnam - Hanoi will be a bit cool, but HCMC around high 20 s and combine with beach (nha trang) or Phu quoc Island. Internal flights are cheap and it's easy to get around.
Laos - Vientiane and Luang Prabang, plain of jars, etc, but no coastline.
Cambodia - Angkor wat and combine with kep and sihanoukville.
Thailand - Bangkok, Chiangmai and beach.
India - goldent triangle (Delhi can be a bit cool early in mornings and in evening) and then south for beach.

ShanghaiDiva Mon 22-Jan-18 05:29:03

Have also been to Sri Lanka - absolutely fabulous! I went in feb so can not comment on December weather.
Myanmar also a possibility, although understand you may not want to go there at the moment due to treatment of ethnic Muslims. I went a few years ago and it is amazing. Will be dry in December.
Kl and langkawi another possibility, but have not done this myself.
further afield, have had some amazing trips to Western Australia in December. Perth is on the same time zone as Hong Kong so the trip is not that bad. Beaches around Denmark in WA and the best I have ever seen.

BIWI Mon 22-Jan-18 05:31:38

How long are you going for, and what kind of holiday do you want? i.e. do you want just downtime, chilling or do you want to do some travelling?

At that time of the year I'd go to Australia (although it can be ferociously hot!). Perhaps break the journey by a stayover in Singapore or Hong Kong?

BIWI Mon 22-Jan-18 05:32:47

The Caribbean will also be lovely - it's the dry season by then - and the different islands offer different experiences. Tobago is less touristy/developed than Barbados/Antigua, for example - and if you like walking/bird-watching it's a great place.

MrsTerryPratchett Mon 22-Jan-18 05:33:50

If Costa Rica is too flavour of the month, what about Nicaragua? Warm, culture and less tourists.

dontcallmethatyoucunt Mon 22-Jan-18 11:47:22

Thanks all. Some fab ideas.

dontcallmethatyoucunt Tue 24-Apr-18 18:36:42

We've booked Sri Lanka ... but some great suggestions that we may well revisit for the future.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in