Talk

Advanced search

Dubai in Easter hols - how long and where stay?

(55 Posts)
badass80 Wed 17-Jan-18 19:25:00

DC 6 & 3
Never been to Dubai
Flights from Birmingham if possible.

Budget max £4K but would love to spend a lot less!

Over the Easter holidays... recommendations please.

Thinking 8 nights

OP’s posts: |
wonderfullyweird Wed 17-Jan-18 19:27:15

If I had £4K for a holiday I definitely wouldn't be going to Dubai.

Completely unhelpful sorry smile

badass80 Wed 17-Jan-18 19:40:04

Where would you go? Got to take 2 small children in easter hols...

badass80 Wed 17-Jan-18 19:40:26

I feel like I can’t research places am I getting it wrong?!

W0rriedMum Wed 17-Jan-18 19:46:08

How about the Jumeriah Mina A Saleem? Wonderful beach front hotel near the waterpark (free passes I think) with a gorgeous pool. There is also a cute boat service between all the hotels at Jumeriah and the heritage mall.

I'd go for half board though which allows you to use all the restaurants in the complex (50+?). Dining and drinking alcohol is expensive.

DioneTheDiabolist Wed 17-Jan-18 19:52:01

Put your details into travelsupermarket.com and see what comes up. Bear in mind that it is really quite hot and the flight is a long one.

sm40 Wed 17-Jan-18 19:52:18

We did jumeirah beach. But would be impressed if you get there for 4K (try southall travel).
Drinks are very expensive so extras do tot up but the water park is fab.
We had a great Easter holiday at princess yaiza in lanzarote.
Good luck! Holiday hunting is fun but you want to get it right and the best deal.

Cavort Wed 17-Jan-18 19:57:33

I love Dubai and have been 3 times, twice with young DC. Personally I like staying around the Marina/JBR/The Walk area as there's lots to do on foot if you want to eat/explore outside your hotel, say, in the evening. Dubai is huge and has the most wonderful hotels but many of them involve a taxi to go anywhere outside of the hotel complex. You probably won't afford to stay in a hotel with direct beach access on a 4k budget but there are plenty of lovely affordable hotels or apartments around the marina that are only a few minutes walk to the beach. Some hotels have a beach front sister property whose facilities you can also use. I think Grosvenor House and Le Royal Meridien do this. I really wish I was going to Dubai at Easter!

badass80 Wed 17-Jan-18 20:06:33

Thank you!

badass80 Wed 17-Jan-18 20:15:05

Looking at hotels now

Shadow1986 Wed 17-Jan-18 20:17:37

We’ve been to Dubai a few times, I don’t think we’ve managed to do it with £4K but I’m sure it’s possible!
We really enjoyed Anantara and the Sofitel (on the palm). Wish we were going for Easter!

malymoo Wed 17-Jan-18 20:18:31

I spent ages researching this in October. It's hard to do on a 4K budget in the Easter holidays. We managed to find flights and accommodation, but only half board and eating out is soooo expensive in Dubai.
We ended up booking an all inclusive hotel in Ras al Khaimah. We're flying into Dubai and it's about a 40min transfer (although I'm sure it'll be a lot longer with the traffic). The hotel looks lovely, by the beach and a great pool for the kids.

badass80 Wed 17-Jan-18 20:28:56

Have been looking at RAK too . I knew 4 k wasn’t enough for Dubai. Now I don’t feel so unreasonable spending that

swimster01 Wed 17-Jan-18 21:18:47

Tend to agree with earlier poster - there really isn't much to do in Dubai. Much better places to visit in the world

badass80 Wed 17-Jan-18 21:27:39

Malta?

ihatethecold Wed 17-Jan-18 21:35:11

Mexico is fab at Easter. We went all inclusive for a week 4 * last Easter.
Had an amazing time.
Flew with Tui on a Dreamliner

Namechangegamechange123 Wed 17-Jan-18 21:37:54

You have 4K for a holiday, why would you spend it on a holiday to a man made place built on slavery? I do not understand why people continue to go there.

badass80 Wed 17-Jan-18 22:12:12

@Namechangegamechange123 as was the UK except the slaves were from one country and sent to another while we created our great country from the proceeds. There are plenty whose families remain rich because of this ‘heritage’

blindmelons Thu 18-Jan-18 07:34:43

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/thinking-man/11936981/Who-in-their-right-mind-would-want-to-visit-Dubai.html

Read this first OP.

I prefer outdoors and nature so it would never be my choice. You can choose to go to places where people are not being exploited. Yes Britain is built on slavery but we wouldn't choose to support that now surely?

CrazyExIngenue Thu 18-Jan-18 07:39:06

Why don't you try Abu Dhabi instead of Dubai? The hotels tend to be cheaper and just as nice, and you have Yas Waterpark and Ferrari world to go to. Dubai is an hours drive away, so you can still take a day trip to see the Burj Khalifa and Dubai Parks & Resorts.

Also, look at the Lapita Resort in Dubai Parks & Resorts, you get free access to Lego Land, Lego Land water park, the Bollywood theme park and the Motiongate theme park.

NotPennysBoat Thu 18-Jan-18 20:45:41

Another vote for Mexico. We went last Easter 5* all inclusive for less than £4k (2 adults, 1 child and a baby). Plenty to see and do in the area too.

bluesu Thu 18-Jan-18 20:51:29

There really isn't much to do in Dubai

Eh???????????
Regardless of your view on how the city was built and workers rights etc, it is complete madness to say there isn't much to do in Dubai.** There is SO much to do there, you would NEVER get bored!

Olivo Thu 18-Jan-18 20:56:44

We go to Dubai regularly and are always finding new places to explore, especially as the children get older. Not a fan of beach hotels personally, but The Méridien Mina Sehayi (sp) was nice. Jumeirah beach was too big and busy for me. We are a family of four and it usually costs about 5 1/2 k at Easter for 10 days for us.

swimster01 Thu 18-Jan-18 21:18:15

Yes, lots to do if you like malls - not much else smile

BubblesBuddy Fri 19-Jan-18 01:20:46

There is very limited history or culture in Dubai. It depends what you want from a holiday really. I have been for a week and would not go again as there is a big world out there which is a lot more varied! Anywhere long haul is a challenge on £4000 for four.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in