Talk

Advanced search

Help - Due to fly to Mauritius next week at same time as cyclone Berguittta

(11 Posts)
GreenShadow Sun 14-Jan-18 19:00:58

Not sure how anyone can help, but any suggestions of what we should try and do to save our holiday would be very welcome.

Background - a cyclone is expected to arrive at Mauritius at about the same time as us - Thurs/Fri this coming week news article.

We're contacting our travel company to see what they suggest but at such short notice I'm not sure what they/we can do.

Anyone had a similar issue with travel and how did you sort it out?

(Disclaimer - I feel awful making a fuss when it's only our holiday being disrupted and there are all those people living out their who are at risk).

OP’s posts: |
coldnosewarmears Sun 14-Jan-18 20:35:13

Did you book a package or flights and accommodation separately?
If it's a full package you should have ATOL protection and the company will hopefully find you alternative destinations if the airline decide not to fly.
Rotten luck @Green it might not be as bad as predicted.

GreenShadow Mon 15-Jan-18 17:48:25

Hi coldnose.
ATOL don't cover Natural Disasters but the travel company are being cooperative and we hope something will be sorted out - we still want to go to Mauritius if possible, but maybe later in the year.

coldnosewarmears Mon 15-Jan-18 18:44:49

I didn't know that Green blush. What about travel insurance?
Could you go elsewhere in the Indian ocean?

whatsinaname11 Mon 15-Jan-18 19:39:08

Hi @GreenShadow We're meant to be going at the end of the week with our six month meeting old - not ideal! What have your travel company said? Who did you book with?

GreenShadow Mon 15-Jan-18 22:14:33

We're with Mauritius Holidays Direct whatsinaname". My DH spoke to them this morning and they are waiting on BA's decision as to whether the flight will depart. Personally I think this looks very unlikely, but who knows.

Even if we do get there, you wonder what state the island will be left in after Berguitta has hit.

whatsinaname11 Wed 17-Jan-18 09:44:46

Looks like it has been downgraded to a tropical storm @GreenShadow, so hopefully won't be too much damage done. Having looked into it, Mauritius has a very good early earning system, flood barriers etc and I'm sure all the hotels will be prepared for it! Fingers crossed!

SleightOfMind Wed 17-Jan-18 09:47:06

Mauritius has extremely good anti storm infrastructure. I don’t think the residents are in danger or the island about to be rendered uninhabitable.
Your flight might be delayed though.

GreenShadow Wed 17-Jan-18 16:53:30

You are both very reassuring. Thank you! Our travel agents are also still optimistic.
So far our flight isn't being delayed.

Having said that, although it has been downgraded slightly they are still expecting gusts of over 150KMH.
I've also read reports that their electricity infrastructure is vulnerable (overheard lines and badly installed pylons) and there was talk of the possibility of 1-3 weeks of electrical blackout...

Where are you staying @whatsinaname11 ? We've got a week at the Residence and 6 days at Sugar Beach.

GreenShadow Sat 20-Jan-18 17:57:12

Hi all

Just a quick update in case anyone is interested.

We got out to Mauritius ok. Cyclone list a little of it's strength and although all flights in Wednesday were cancelled, ours in Thursday was ok.

Only one problem. It was this one...
drunk BA pilot

SleightOfMind Sun 21-Jan-18 08:49:45

Oh no! That wasn’t your flight was it?
Never mind cyclones, drunken pilots are terrifying!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in