Talk

Advanced search

Cant choose between ..... sri lanka mexico or safari

(19 Posts)
DecisionTree Fri 12-Jan-18 15:15:11

Sri Lanka
Mexico
Kenya

For an xmas break. Which would you choose and why?

dontcallmethatyoucunt Fri 12-Jan-18 21:08:06

Sri Lanka as it's next on my list!
It's the best time to go.

EnidAlexandraRollins Fri 12-Jan-18 21:12:13

Have been to Sri Lanka (which is a beautiful place) and on safari twice but not to Mexico.

Safari every time. There is nothing like it. Every second of the whole experience was amazing! Without trying to sound like a complete year, it was utterly life-affirming and would be my choice any day of the year!

Sri Lanka is a wonderful country too though and a fascinating place to visit.

EnidAlexandraRollins Fri 12-Jan-18 21:12:39

*twat
Not year!

jemmstar1980 Fri 12-Jan-18 21:13:48

I didn’t rate Mexico, you can do safari in Sri Lanka as well. I’m saving safari for our 15th wedding anniversary.

Greenteandchives Fri 12-Jan-18 21:14:16

You can do a safari in Yala, which is in Sri Lanka. Beautiful country with beautiful people.

missyB1 Fri 12-Jan-18 21:14:24

Personally wasn’t over impressed with Mexico, have done safari 3 times and loved it! Do the Safari.

Strongvegetables Fri 12-Jan-18 21:15:38

I too wasn’t impressed with Mexico, I’d love to go to Sri Lanka !

Crumbs1 Fri 12-Jan-18 21:20:20

Not done Mexico but we loved Sri Lanka. Just fabulous. Warm, charming people. Good food. Perfect weather.

jellybeanteaparty Fri 12-Jan-18 22:07:56

Depends on what you enjoy on a holiday and if you are taking young children, teens or just you.

Mexico - good variety of beach, snorkelling/diving, Jungle, pyramid mayan history, apartments or hotels good food and going out if that is your thing.

Kenya - Great for a Safari experience , beaches and interesting culture,
plus mountains. Mostly hotel /lodges less villa/appartment option.

Not been to sri lanka but have considered it. Beaches seem not as picture perfect as Mexico, really interesting culturally, Elephants and I should imagine good food and accommodation options.

Perhaps check weather in all places? Have fun

jellybeanteaparty Fri 12-Jan-18 22:12:09

Interested to see lots of good comments on Sri Lanka may have add it to my wish list. We loved Mexico but travelled around and did not stay in main tourist areas

cece Fri 12-Jan-18 22:21:27

I have been on safari and to Sri Lanka. Loved both. You can do a bit of animal spotting in Sri Lanka. We also visited Kandy, an ancient ruined city, tea plantation, travelled on the local train to a town in the south on the coast. Plus Colombo.

On safari we went to 3 or 4 different parks so saw a great variety of savannah animals and also at a lake and treetops where the Queen became the Queen.

MakChoon Fri 12-Jan-18 22:41:20

I've been to all three and loved them all but Sri Lanka was something very special. I've travelled a lot and it's still a place that stands out from the others.

If you go, I'd highly recommend travelling around - the country is so varied from place to place and is so worth experiencing fully.

That said, Mexico is fab - loved the people and the food and safari (in Kenya) was a real experience - good and bad!

MakChoon Fri 12-Jan-18 22:43:16

Lacking some punctuation there! '... and safari...' should be a new sentence!

DecisionTree Fri 12-Jan-18 23:34:11

Sorry should have said we are taking dd (14) with us

PinkAvocado Fri 12-Jan-18 23:35:47

Safari, especially with a 14 year old. Safaris are appealing to every age group plus Kenya has amazing beaches and mountains.

Joinourclub Mon 15-Jan-18 10:38:10

I've done all of those. All brill, so you can't go wrong! But safari is such a thrill, so it definitely comes out top for me.

BubblesBuddy Mon 15-Jan-18 16:39:49

Make sure you do a couple of safari areas within Kenya and try and think what animals you would like to see because some areas are better then others for specific wildlife. At Christmas the wildebeest have gone back to Tanzania. I would also consider Tanzania for a safari at that time of year.

Nothing beats a safari! The camps are brilliant and it’s exciting. We took DDs when they were young teens and camps such as Explorer and Governors (where Big Cat Diary was based) are very good and some companies do family holidays to Kenya which are excellent. We went with A & K but there are others.

I quite like the idea of Sri Lanka. I haven’t been but there is a cultural and religious element you won’t get in Kenya.

I think Mexico has a lot to offer. Travelling around is much more worthwhile. I would look at Costa Rica too.

I think people are friendly everywhere (some older Russians are a bit sour!) I think food can also be excellent everywhere too. I think the type of holiday you want rather than people or food is the determining factor.

Girlgoneglobal Sun 21-Jan-18 05:52:19

I lived in Sri Lanka for three years. It rained every single Christmas we were there - and had generally been cloudy and a bit miserable from Oct/Nov. Generally perked up a bit driving into work first day of the New Year. Although it was miserable last Jan and I nearly killed my parents by taking them to the Hills and giving them hypothermia.

By all means go to SL. But don't bank on it being hot and sunny for Christmas.

March/April/May tended to be the hottest months on the west coast.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now