Talk

Advanced search

East Coast USA for 5yo and 2yo

(15 Posts)
MrsSylviaTietjens Thu 11-Jan-18 12:25:58

We’re hoping to go to USA this summer for 2 weeks with dc’s. We don’t fancy going to Orlando but also not quite ready to brave a flight all the way to the West Coast. With this in mind, where would you go? Looking for nice scenery, outdoorsy stuff, wildlife, maybe a beach but not too bothered, noting too busy or commercial.

Where would you go? Any recommendations? I’ve only ever done NYC and Orlando before so never really any ‘proper’ America.

Thanks so much.

MadCap Thu 11-Jan-18 12:30:21

What about Maryland? There's beautiful beaches in the east and mountains with beautiful national parks to the west. Islands with wild ponies etc. Plus Washington DC is close. Everything is within a couple hours drive.

RusholmeRuffian Thu 11-Jan-18 12:36:08

I would pick somewhere on the Maine Coast. Or possibly the Outer Banks in North Carolina.

namechangingforpets Thu 11-Jan-18 12:46:05

Maine. It's absolutely beautiful and amazing.

MrsSylviaTietjens Thu 11-Jan-18 17:38:46

I’ve never considered Maryland but it sounds wonderful. Where are the islands with ponies? Where do you think the best town would be to base yourself in.

Maine also looks amazing. That’s where we originally considering. It’s such a huge country and it’s hard to know where to start!

CraftyGin Thu 11-Jan-18 17:40:31

Vermont - www.smuggs.com

FinallyHere Thu 11-Jan-18 20:43:17

Long Island

MadCap Thu 11-Jan-18 22:40:45

Assateague and Chincoteague are the names of the islands. I would just do a day trip there and stay somewhere like Bethany Beach (which is technically Delaware). There's a little boardwalk, some nice shops and restaurants. Just north of there is loads of outlet malls with all the big brands and Deleware is tax free. Ocean City is a tourist trap, but go for an afternoon just because there's amazing mini golf.

Don't miss DC though. The Smithsonian museums are amazing and all free. The national zoo is absolutely massive and completely free. You can ditch the hire car too because the Metro is pretty good at getting you to all the attractions.

AgathaMystery Fri 12-Jan-18 21:47:50

Savannah & Charleston. Hilton head. DC. I'm eating right now but have done a massive US road trip with small DC. 3,000 miles. It was ace.

NotPennysBoat Sat 13-Jan-18 21:22:09

@AgathaMystery please come back and tell us more!

madeuplovesong Mon 15-Jan-18 13:47:02

Would love to hear more on this post! We are going to stay with family in Connecticut this summer, kids will be 6 and 3. Would like to spend a week or so on holiday elsewhere on the east coast and was considering Maine. Ideally coastal, lots of outdoors things to do, good seafood etc. Does anyone know if there is a US equivalent of Eurocamp et al? Sorry to hijack but sounds like we are looking for similar information!smile

BubblesBuddy Mon 15-Jan-18 16:45:42

As the OP has a 5 year old and a 2 year old, I would have thought the museums in Washington were not appropriate. They will be bored! I would suggest Cape Cod and north of Boston. Easy to drive to from Boston and shortest flight across the Atlantic.

BubblesBuddy Mon 15-Jan-18 16:50:52

For ideas for Connecticut, look at www.myamericaholiday.co.uk - lots of beaches, Mystic, Hartford, seaside towns and family attractions.

JassyRadlett Mon 15-Jan-18 16:54:45

As the OP has a 5 year old and a 2 year old, I would have thought the museums in Washington were not appropriate. They will be bored

Depends on the kids, surely? DS1 would have adored the Smithsonian from about the age of 2. DS2 (just turned 2) isn’t quite there yet.

BubblesBuddy Tue 16-Jan-18 10:37:05

Yes, it does depend on the child. I have visited many museums on the Mall (with and without children) but children need a certain attention span to get something out of them. Few children get much out of museums at 2 other than a short burst. It's a big effort to go to these museums for a short burst! Just one museum that interests them in Washington is a lot of effort! Would a 2 year old and a 5 year old be interested in anything else in Washington? Doubtful. I cannot see Arlington Cemetery, Congress and the Library. the memorials to presidents and wars etc holding the attention of very young children so you are paying for a city holiday with few attractions children would enjoy.

Connecticut has other attractions which you can reach which children are more likely to enjoy without the extra travel and expense of Washington. They may even enjoy playing on a beach!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: