Talk

Advanced search

Kids travel gadgets

(7 Posts)
Babaroll Sat 06-Jan-18 12:08:57

Has anyone traveled long haul using any of the inflatable pillows to make a bed for little ones? We're doing a 25 hour journey in a few months with two 3 yr olds and a 6 yr old and want to make it as painless as possible. I am looking at the 1st class kids pillows, just wondering how easy they are to use and inflate/deflate the airline we are flying with does allow them.

http://www.1stclasskid.com

I've travelled with the kids before but at different ages where we had the bassinet and a car seat.

OP’s posts: |
SandLand Sat 06-Jan-18 12:19:51

Check your airline allows them before purchase. Several have banned various versions -Emirates for one have restrictions.

AttilaTheMeerkat Sat 06-Jan-18 13:16:28

Which airline are you flying with?. It states it is NOT recommended for Emirates, Qantas, Air Canada,Air France, United & Air NZ Flights. I would certainly check with the airline in question before purchasing. It may well be that these things are actually more trouble than they are worth.

habibihabibi Sat 06-Jan-18 19:09:18

I've used the exact ones on a number of trip with KLM, BA and most frequently Qatar. I have two children and they were either in the window and exit with me on the aisle or we've all been in the middle row. It would def not work if you had to expect someone to step over them. They are super easy to use but expensive . I saw something similar about 15 years ago being used by Chinese passengers in Asia and they were about 10 USD.
I've seen the bedbox and some other variations but I think 1srclasskids are the lightest and less cumbersome.
They have worked for me but it seems lots of airlines don't like them . 0

Babaroll Sat 06-Jan-18 20:28:10

We're travelling with Singapore airlines and their website specifically says you can use them and even shows you the configuration (by the window or in the centre of the middle rows) so I'm not worried about that.

www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/au/travel-info/special-assistance/travelling-with-children/

The bed boxes look good but would be too cumbersome to carry around with three kids using them, the 1st class kids look like they're easy to inflate and deflate and would be lighter to carry. They are expensive but this is 4 pretty long flights and 3 of them are at night.

I've seen much cheaper versions on eBay - it's tricky because it's not like you can try them in advance.

Good to know you found them useful habbibi, I have done this flight many times and I think to make it more comfortable for everyone including me they are probably worth it.

habibihabibi Sun 07-Jan-18 05:39:15

The first class kids ones are no bigger than a.kids jacket when folded .
They inflate so easily using the overhead air conditioning outlet but on the newer planes like A380 they don't exist.
I partially inflated them preboarding with the hand drier in the loo at the gate and stuffed them into the kids backpacks.
I'm asthmatic but had no trouble finishing blowing them up myself on board after take off.
Definately worth it .
I travel longhaul with two kids alone and these have actually allowed me to sleep as I'm not covered in kid.

Babaroll Sun 07-Jan-18 08:47:58

I have to say that not being covered in kid for 24 hours sounds amazing! I've seen some cheaper ones on eBay, they look very similar to the 1st class kids. I'm going to confirm with Singapore Airlines that they're ok to have on board then buy them.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in