Talk

Advanced search

Canada

(9 Posts)
Loopyloo97 Thu 04-Jan-18 18:48:15

Hi , we would like to have a 2 week holiday in Canada this July we have one 12 year old . We were thinking about flying with BA to Vancouver & possibly hiring a car to travel around & stay in various locations
We’re not quite sure where to start any advice please ?

OP’s posts: |
Jaxhog Thu 04-Jan-18 19:13:38

Vanvouver is an amazing place to visit.

Don't miss:

-Stanley Park (bike trail and totem poles)
-Vancouver Island (fab boat trip and you should have tea at the Empress Hotel in Victoria - it's like the Ritz)
-Gas Town (oldest part of Vancouver with great shops)
-Capillano suspension bridge (brilliant fun, especially for 12 year olds, I first went when I was 10)
- Whale and/or Dolphin watching (depending on when you go)
- Whistler or Grouse Mountain (cable cars and great views)

There's loads of other things to see too., but these would be first for me.

I wish I was going too!

moreismore Thu 04-Jan-18 19:16:28

A brilliant place to visit! Definitely go up grouse mountain - be sure to try a beaver tail (like a donut) and there’s a fun lumberjack show too. Also whistler if you can. I’ve taken a seaplane from Vancouver to Victoria where you can see killer whales (prob season dependant) and Vancouver island is also amazing if you can fit it in.

Jaxhog Thu 04-Jan-18 19:18:54

I forgot Granville Island (in Vancouver) - great market.

There are lots of hop on, hop off sight seeing buses too. Never used them myself (I have family there, so no need) but people rate them highly.

Rtmhwales Thu 04-Jan-18 19:23:55

Hi!
I’ve just moved back to Vancouver (spent the first 23 years of my life here) so feel free to message me if you have any questions. I’d definitely rent a car and agree with the above suggestions but I’d also take the ferry across to Vancouver island, it’s breathtaking. There’s lots of fun local things to do in Vancouver as well - there’s a blind restaurant (you eat in the pitch black, sounds weird but a lot of fun!), Science World is great for kids, etc.

A couple hours drive north East is the okanagan valley which is famous for its wine and lakes and there’s even a small kangaroo petting zoo which your 12 year old might like and things like zip lines and water sports smile

WhentoD Thu 04-Jan-18 23:29:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

WhentoD Thu 04-Jan-18 23:30:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ShanghaiDiva Fri 05-Jan-18 01:50:07

We did the following:
Vancouver - I second the recommendations above
Vancouver Island - Victoria, Tofino and Nanaimo to get ferry back to mainland
Whistler
Then back to Vancouver airport.
This trip was pretty relaxing, not too much driving and loads to see. I really liked Victoria: lovely gardens, great museum, whale watching and lots of great restaurants.

Nomad86 Fri 05-Jan-18 13:58:51

If you want to travel into the Rockies for a few days, I'd recommend Jasper and Banff, really pretty and the views along the way are amazing.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in