Talk

Advanced search

Russia with the DC

(11 Posts)
PanicHitsEarlyForMe Mon 01-Jan-18 18:44:15

We're looking to go to Russia, either St Petersburg or Moscow. The DC are 8yrs old and are good travellers.
Any useful hints or tips?

OP’s posts: |
BritInUS1 Mon 01-Jan-18 18:46:57

How long are you planning on going for?

I have been to Moscow and wouldn't say there is a lot there really for children

PanicHitsEarlyForMe Mon 01-Jan-18 19:02:03

Maybe a week?

shhhfastasleep Mon 01-Jan-18 19:18:26

I'd dispute the idea that it's long haul because it's only 3 hours flight away.
You should really enjoy it but be prepared to spend loads.

Coconutspongexo Mon 01-Jan-18 19:23:09

If you’re in the UK it’s not long Hall.

Also wouldn’t go for a week

Coconutspongexo Mon 01-Jan-18 19:23:16

Hail

Coconutspongexo Mon 01-Jan-18 19:23:22

Oh fuck off

BubblesBuddy Mon 01-Jan-18 19:34:55

I think it’s not the best place for children. However, it’s about 4 hours from the uk. Both cities can be done in a week and there is a high speed train that runs between the two cities.

Moscow has the magnificent Kremlin complex with great museums and the cathedral. There are other art galleries and a space exploration museum. The underground stations are fantastic!

St Petersburg was Home to the Tzars and has the Hermitage and various palaces to visit including the one where Rasputin was murdered. The Faberge Museum is second to none as are the fountains at Peterhof. If your children are interested in Russian history you can’t go wrong.

Taffeta Mon 01-Jan-18 19:39:17

We took DC briefly to St P this summer. My friend took her DC - same age (13 & 11) to St P for a long weekend too and they loved it.

Faberge museum fantastic, as was Peterhof, Church on Spilled Blood, Nevsky Prospekt.

Mine aren’t patient enough for the Hermitage but we went round the square etc. Stunning place, we treated ourselves to a private guide who was fabulous and taught the DC loads about Russian history, Stalin etc.

Unforgettable.

PanicHitsEarlyForMe Mon 01-Jan-18 22:50:44

Apologies for it being in longhaul, i was reading another post on longhaul and should have gone into the general travel section before posting.

shhhfastasleep Tue 02-Jan-18 19:04:34

I just wonder if they are too young unless really into this specific country and its history. Used to work and live there.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in