Talk

Advanced search

Disney with a 9 month old

(12 Posts)
Skittles90 Thu 28-Dec-17 09:59:19

Hi!

So we booked our honeymoon for July 2018 but have found out we have a little one arriving in August so won't be able to fly across the Atlantic from Scotland!

We are thinking of postponing the honeymoon to March 2019, which is my other half's 30th but not sure if our current plan is suitable!?!

It's 2 weeks in Disney/universal/sea world then 2 nights near the space centre then 4 in Miami.

We think that it might be ok but does anyone have any knowledge of this? Or any other ideas?

Thanks smile

Xx

OP’s posts: |
Snowman41 Thu 28-Dec-17 10:25:41

I wouldn't waste my time on Disney with a baby. Go somewhere else and do Disney when your child is old enough to enjoy it.

mummymeister Thu 28-Dec-17 11:07:19

Agree with snowman a total waste of money. the only way you will be able to go on rides together is if you are happy to leave your little one with the attendant as you go on the ride. otherwise you will be riding separately. save Disney for when she/he is about 4 or 5 and it will be magical.

ILoveDolly Thu 28-Dec-17 11:08:36

Yes as others have said, it will be no fun.

notsomumsymum Thu 28-Dec-17 11:15:03

We did it with a 10 month old. It was hard work but we had a really good time. The main problem was that you’re not allowed prams in the queues so we had to carry him when waiting in lines. He’s a big boy so we couldn’t go on anything with him that had a queue of more than 20 mins!
We didn’t go on many rides together but would usually wait for his nap, one of us would go on the ride and the other would just sit and get a drink somewhere.
I would definitely get a villa rather than a hotel room though. The baby might not be sleeping through at that age and it would be no fun trying to keep a baby quiet in a busy hotel.

Sparklyuggs Fri 29-Dec-17 07:56:28

I'd echo the others and leave Disney for another time with a baby.

If it were me I'd look for a lovely warm destination (Carribbean/ Indian Ocean) choosing a hotel with childcare, children's pool, playground to give you a few hours couple time.

divafever99 Fri 29-Dec-17 08:16:47

I wouldn't take any child to Disney/universal who still needed a pram/pushchair. We went this year, dd was 21 months. Ideally we would have waited until she was a lot older but it was a big family celebration trip with my in laws. The main problems like a previous poster has said you won't be able to go on any rides together, you can't take any pram into the ride queues and carrying a small child in the heat for sometimes over an hour is exhausting. The flight was also a nightmare, having a baby on your knee long haul is no fun. My eldest dd was 6 when we went. She loved it and managed to cope with the flight, queues and amount of walking involved, so I recommend you wait a few years.

Dermymc Fri 29-Dec-17 08:19:44

Why bother?

Have a small low key honeymoon and do Disney when lo is old enough.

BumblebeeBum Fri 29-Dec-17 08:34:05

I’ve taken a young baby (and toddler and older child) to Disney/Other theme parks and the baby was the easiest.

All the theme parks have great parent swaps. They all work slightly differently but in essence one of you queues up and goes on the ride while the other sits/walks nearby with the pram. Then when the first person had ridden the one with the baby meets them at the exit, swaps the baby over and the second person rides. Baby doesn’t need to be in the queue at all for rides that are not suitable for them.

For rides which are suitable for babies, use fast passes so queues are no more than 30 minutes. And bring a sling/ baby carrier for use in the queues.

Baby in pushchair is easier than toddler who wants to toddle sometimes (very very slowly!) or a child not of pushchair age who will get tired easily.

I assume you like the idea of theme parks as you booked it for your honeymoon. I’d go with a young baby rather than wait years for the child to really enjoy rides etc.

Babies like the parades, shows and lights.

Whatever you choose - congratulations (times two!) and enjoy your honeymoon.

Namechange16 Fri 29-Dec-17 08:37:39

Is the pushchair in the queue rule the same for DL Paris??

cliffdiver Fri 29-Dec-17 08:48:44

Yes Namechange, no buggies allowed in queues in Paris either.

ohanabanana Fri 29-Dec-17 21:39:00

Disney world is so big and hectic I wouldn’t bother with a baby - just getting to and from the parks would be a major headache!
As universal is much smaller that would probably be doable- if you are planning on staying on site it would be much easier to pop back to your hotel room during the heat of the day for a nap or to use the pool.
However if you are really keen on the Disney thing have you considered a Disney cruise? They are absolutely fantastic and cater for families with small children in every way. They have movies on deck, pools with slides and splash zones, childcare/clubs, cinema, theatre with Disney musicals, child and baby friendly restaurants, deck parties, fireworks, Disney characters and their own private tropical island. You can leave your baby in the crèche for some of the time if you want an adult meal or spa or you can spend the whole time as a family if preferred. They depart from port canavarel which is quite near Orlando.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in