Talk

Advanced search

Natural history themed trips

(5 Posts)
iismum Wed 27-Dec-17 18:16:05

Every year, I go travelling for 2-3 weeks with one of the kids, usually long-haul. This year it's DS(8)'s turn. He's obsessed with natural history and David Attenborough and I'd love to work out a trip around that. One idea I've had is Indonesia - Komodo dragons, amazing snorkelling, volcanos, jungles. We could probably see a reasonable selection of things without spending the whole time on the road - but of course Indonesia's huge and we could only do a small part of it.

Any other suggestions? We're happy to do quite a lot of bus journeys, etc,, but don't want to be travelling the whole time and want a bit of chilling out time. Thanks!

OP’s posts: |
swimster01 Wed 27-Dec-17 18:35:33

What time of year are you looking at? If summer, you might consider Borneo (Kinabantangan River and Danum Valley are both excellent for wildlife) and you can easily pair with time on the beach - although the best islands for snorkelling are off limits based on FCO guidance.

Other suggestions would be Brazil (Pantanal and Amazon); Costa Rica; Galapagos or safari.

iismum Wed 27-Dec-17 18:47:50

Time of year would probably be Feb or March. The Galapagos would be amazing - is it possible just to travel there as a tourist? Other suggestions also v interesting - thanks!

OP’s posts: |
swimster01 Wed 27-Dec-17 19:41:49

I think that's the best time of year to go to the Galapagos for snorkelling.

mummymeister Thu 28-Dec-17 11:10:55

Belize. I can send you a copy of my trip report if you pm me. has everything - we swam with sharks and rays, snorkelled, saw manatees, took boat trips, howler monkey jungle safari, mayan ruins, inner tube floats, waterfall walking I really could go on and on!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in