Talk

Advanced search

Any recommendations in Vietnam?

(12 Posts)
Ribc Mon 04-Dec-17 20:42:17

We are considering a 2 week holiday in Vietnam next Easter with a 5 and 7 year old. Not sure where to go but was thinking Hanoi. Has anyone been to Vietnam with kids? We like a decent pool and being able to explore relatively surrounding areas. Would be great to get some recommendations if anyone has any.

timetomoveon Tue 05-Dec-17 00:59:51

With 2 weeks, I would do Hanoi, Danang/Hoi An and then down to HCMCity. That gives you a mix of beach as well as cities. I would consider the overnight train for one of the legs if your kids are good travelers and enjoy trains.

BobbyGentry Tue 05-Dec-17 10:15:27

Heard fantastic holiday recommendations for Phu Quoc Island. Enjoy Googling; looks stunning 🏝

minipie Tue 05-Dec-17 10:20:19

First check the weather. Vietnam gets hit by two monsoons and it gets very wet in different areas at different times of year. I can't remember where is dry at easter but do some googling and you'll find out!

We really enjoyed Phu Quoc, Hanoi , and the villages and markets near Sa Pa/Bac Ha. Hoi An was good for floating markets iirc.

Nomad86 Tue 05-Dec-17 19:51:46

Hanoi is a nicer city than ho chi Minh. Travelling by train is a great way to see the country. Ha long bay is spectacular but very difficult to get to on public transport (about 24hours from the nearest city, took us by train, bus and a random flagged down motorbike). Hoi An is really pretty, it's where the tailors are and you can get custom made clothes in a couple of days. A boat trip down the Mekong Delta is well worth it, you can hire out little boats to take you to the floating markets. Physical Quoc island is beautiful but when we went a few years ago in April the bugs were horrendous. Definitely take a treated mosquito net and lots of repellent. You get there by tiny plane from the mainland. On the whole, a beautiful country with great food, cheap accommodation and gorgeous scenery, I miss it.

It depends on how much you want to travel. If you want to stay in the north, you can see Hanoi and take a trip into the mountains. Middle of the country is Hoi An and Hue. South you could do HCM, Mekong and Phu Quoc.

DivisionBelle Tue 05-Dec-17 20:05:13

On a two week holiday with kids aged 5 and 7 my personal choice would not be to do the whole length of the country, unless you all enjoy being in transit and see it as an adventure.

You can fly between many places very cheaply on the domestic airline, though.

Check the typical weather in the various areas for the time of your visit: it is different in different regions.

Hoi An is a stunning small town, you can get a good 'Homestay' hotel on the river, or close to the town, or on the beach - An Bang Beach - where the hotels tend to have shuttle buses to Hoi An.

There are Eco boat trips, a few outings, nice beach, the old town is completely magical at night.

Are you looking for low budget options? Or comfy hotel?

Ribc Tue 05-Dec-17 20:24:45

Thanks all - really useful - are looking for decent hotel - mid range. We normally have days by the pool mixed with days out and about (did Penang last Easter which was fantastic and just the right mix of lazing and exploring).

DivisionBelle Tue 05-Dec-17 20:33:45

Boutique Hoi An.

Lovely hotel right on the beach, nice pool, excellent beach cafes just along the beach (at ‘Hidden Beach’) free shuttle bus in and out of Hoi An, the corner shop by the entrance can supply excellent cheap drivers for day trips.

butterfly990 Tue 05-Dec-17 20:45:54

I did the equivalent of this tour in July of this year.

www.wowcher.co.uk/deal/travel/6114981/12-day-vietnam-tour-469pp?usr_src=search

I went 3* and found the accommodation to be of acceptable standard. Only one had a pool though and the breakfast was mainly noodles, steamed vegetables and usually a scrambled egg or omlette bar. I went with Hoi An express through the Australian Scoopon site. It was a thoroughly organised tour and the tour guides spoke good English and were very knowledgeable. The main mode of transport was a 10 seater mini bus and we had 2 internal flights with Vietnam Air.

Hoi An was I think my favourite destination and Da Nang close by has a huge array of 5 star hotel complexes on the beach with pools.

You can get a lot of information on Trip Advisor Vietnam travel forum.

ZaraW Thu 07-Dec-17 16:05:28

Sapa is really beautiful and Hanoi is just amazing.

ShanghaiDiva Fri 08-Dec-17 00:25:11

I love Hanoi, especially eandering around the old town. From Hanoi you can take the overnight train to sapa which is very slow, good fun or there is now a bus too. There are some good day trips from Hanoi - perfume pagoda and nam (or could be tam) coc which has limestone karsts so an inland version of halong bay.
Hoi an is beautiful - old town is lovely and there is a beach at an bang. Recommend the essence hotel - great food, free shuttle to town and beach and lovely people.
Hcmc - has great museums and the tunnels are not too far away, but traffic is insane.

ZaraW Fri 08-Dec-17 09:06:59

Tan Coc mentioned above is beautiful we did a day trip from Hanoi with Urban Adventures. The people who row the boat do so with their feet. The woman who rowed ours was in her 70's she was fun.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now