Talk

Advanced search

Can I use a visa debit card in America?

(13 Posts)
Florabella Mon 04-Dec-17 08:46:26

Just that really. I don't have a credit card and don't want to take too many dollars with me. Will a uk visa debit card be accepted?

Violletta Mon 04-Dec-17 08:47:19

yes
tell your bank you are going so it doesn't get stopped

Check moneysavingexpert to see if your bank gives you a good exchange rate doing this. For mine it's cheaper to withdraw dollars from an ATM once there

LadyPenelopeCantDance Mon 04-Dec-17 08:49:49

It will work, but do check what your bank will charge you to use it as you may end up paying a fee for every transaction.

You would be better off with a prepay travel card - you load up before you go and can use it when you are there for free.

numptyhumpty Mon 04-Dec-17 11:26:56

Be aware you can't use a debit card to rent a car in the states, they require a deposit held on a credit card

Additionally many hotels don't accept a debit card held on an account, if you don't have a credit card some will accept cash deposits

LivLemler Mon 04-Dec-17 11:29:53

Yes, I've done this a lot. When you pay by card, a lot of card machines over there will give you a debit or credit option - don't panic if you select debit and your card is refused. Just try again and select credit, always worked for me. (Doesn't change how the transaction goes through your account, it's just how the machines work.)

LoniceraJaponica Mon 04-Dec-17 20:29:58

When we went to Florida last year I looked into the best way to pay for things. We bank with Nationwide and I was advised that paying by debit card was an expensive way to pay for things as every transaction would incur a fee. Credit card transactions didn't.

I would really advise you to get a credit card for travelling to the US if you want to hire a car as many car hire companies won't rent out cars without a credit card.

I would check with your bank and on Money Saving Expert.

imokit Mon 04-Dec-17 20:49:21

Post office do a prepaid travel money card, you can top it up with online banking and its safer in terms of fraud/something happening.

SorrelForbes Mon 04-Dec-17 20:52:04

Have a look at getting a Revolut card. www.revolut.com/?lang=en

You can use it in lots of countries without being charged a fee and it's a;; controlled via an app on your phone. Really easy!

katmarie Mon 04-Dec-17 21:16:34

I got a travelex prepaid credit card on my first trip to the us, and was able to use that pretty much everywhere, it gave me a better exchange rate than using my debit card, especially when you took into account transaction fees.

Florabella Mon 04-Dec-17 22:58:32

Thanks all. I don't have time to sort any other cards as I go on Thursday, so will take more cash and only use debit card as back up

katmarie Tue 05-Dec-17 16:50:26

I picked up the travelex card at the airport, they set it up for me there and then if I remember rightly, and I loaded it online whenever I needed to. Worth considering if you do want to go down that route.

ZaraW Thu 07-Dec-17 16:04:34

My HSBC visa debit card didn't work in many ATMs I went to HSBC in NY to get cash.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now