Talk

Advanced search

Top 3 things to do in Singapore, Cairns and Sydney with young family

(12 Posts)
Mumtothelittlefella Tue 07-Nov-17 11:01:26

Hello, we’re heading out to Australia for a five week trip with our DC (4 and 5) early December and I’m looking for some sound advice on the must do places to visit. We’re having five nights in Singapore, five in Cairns and five in Sydney before heading to Melbourne to spend Christmas and New Year with family. Given that the kiddies are still young and we’re limited on time, I’m looking for top places to visit/things to do. In particular, we’d like to experience some part of the GBR but feel that the boat trip there and back might bed too much? So considering Fitzroy or Green Island. Thanks

Dailystuck71 Tue 07-Nov-17 18:37:10

I think what you have planned is too much with young kids. Is cairns confirmed? If you can I’d miss that out and stretch Sydney and Singapore. Cairns for us was disappointing unless you are willing to pay for something like a trip to lizard island. The commercial trips to the GBR go every single day so much of the reef has been damaged and any wildlife has long gone. Hundreds of people go every day.

Just my opinion. Singapore to Sydney is 8 hours which is on top of the 13or so you will fly to Asia. Cairns is another 3or so again. It’s a lot of flying. You know your kids though. May be they will be ok with it.

Dailystuck71 Tue 07-Nov-17 18:39:24

Singapore and Sydney both have huge amounts for kids.

Mumtothelittlefella Tue 07-Nov-17 19:49:54

Thanks Daily. Yes, it has all been booked and paid for. Trying just to go with the flow as far as the traveling and make it part of the adventure- could go either way!

You’ve voiced my concerns about the trip to GBR sadly. We need to make the most of our time there though so will have to find other ways to enjoy it.

Christinayangstwistedsista Tue 07-Nov-17 19:51:03

Sentosa, universal studios, gardens by the bay

ShanghaiDiva Tue 07-Nov-17 23:32:15

Zoo and/or night safari in Singapore
Gardens by the bay
Probably too young to get the most out of universal studios
Wildlife/ zoo in Sydney with aquarium next door (not sure of exact name, sorry) my dd loved both

Jenpug Tue 07-Nov-17 23:43:09

Singapore night safari, garden by the bay; great activities. We took every single visitor to these. The zoo can get ridiculously sweltering during the day as it's very open. The river safari is more sheltered and has the pandas too.
The children will probably love universal studios if you fancy that kind of thing. My 3 year old adores it there and there are plenty of rides for little ones.

pambeesley Tue 07-Nov-17 23:45:18

Cairns head up to the beaches about 20 mins drive north but only swim in the specific areas with nets. Maybe head as far as port Douglas, the drive is lovely and it’s only an hour.

Boat trip would be fine but green island is lovely.

The swimming pool area in Cairns is lovely and perfect with little kids.

specialsubject Wed 08-Nov-17 17:19:09

Cairns has no beach and it will be midsummer. As mentioned, stay out of the sea unless in the netted areas, stinger season. River swimming also a bad idea unless you want to be lunch for a crocodile.

Kuranda is fun for a short time. Atherton tablelands are nicer.

swimster01 Wed 08-Nov-17 17:27:41

Port Douglas is great - there are trips to the Low Isles in the GBR marine park that are suitable for young children; Port Douglas Wildlife Habitat great with kids, then you can go to the Tropical Ice Cream Farm on the way up to Daintree, crocodile spotting trips etc

Singapore zoo is amazing and has a water play area. Also Botanical Gardens are beautiful and also have a zone for children with water play and other adventure activities.

Sydney - take the ferry over to Manley - fun as it is a hairy ride! Also our DC enjoyed the Opera House and the Aquarium

diamantegal Wed 08-Nov-17 17:48:05

We did this a couple of years ago when DS was 5, although without the Singapore stopover. Or favourites were...

Cairns - Hartley's Crocodile Adventures and the Zoo - DS especially enjoyed the first one. We also did Kuranda via cable car up and train back - once there we did the animal bit, the aviary and the venom zoo (can you tell DS likes animals?!). Plus you've got the beach if all else fails.

Sydney we did similar things - Taronga zoo, and the animals and aquarium places in the centre. Don't bother with Madame Tussauds - meant nothing to DS. If the weather's nice, the Blue Mountains are worth a day trip or overnight trip - we just hired a car and booked a hotel the night before so that we could guarantee good weather (sacrificed the cost of our Sydney hotel for that night).

Enjoy - DS still talks about what a good holiday and we've promised to go back!

Mumtothelittlefella Wed 08-Nov-17 20:41:43

This is just what I wanted, thank you for your great tips and suggestions.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now