Talk

Advanced search

Longhaul for a week? Is it worth it?

(15 Posts)
Sarahjconnor Sun 05-Nov-17 08:35:39

We have a lot on at the moment - work, family commitments and it's all meant we've not had a holiday/been to see the country I grew up in/friends for over 4 years. We could go for a week in Feb but is it worth it? A 15 hour travel there and 15 hour back for a week? Anyone done it. Is it worth it?

lljkk Sun 05-Nov-17 08:50:08

I've done it for California. With 1 kid, no more. DH did it without kids for Australia but he spent 2 days in bed when he got back, felt pretty bad both ways, and that was travelling business class.

lljkk Sun 05-Nov-17 08:55:58

The cost is outrageous, though. £1000 for each person's flights alone. Another reason not to do this with whole family. I had a week of jetlag after the last return, too. Grim.

Backinthebox Sun 05-Nov-17 09:16:34

I fly long haul aircraft for a living, and fly long haul trips with only 1-3 nights downroute all the time. I am allowed to take immediate family with me for the cost of airport tax only (ie the cost of the flight and hotel room are for the most part free as long as we all share my room.) Consequently I take my kids on very short long haul trips regularly. We’ve been to the Middle East for 2 nights and the Caribbean for 3 nights. They cope with it very well - the excitement seems to carry them through the jet lag.

Which part of the work is it that is a 15hr journey away? Most places except for Australia and New Zealand can be done on a single flight that is less than 14hrs. I am presuming the 15hrs travel includes some time either not flying or on a connecting flight? Either way, I would still go. I took family to Australia last year for a wedding and the only one of us who suffered with the jet lag was DH who refused to sleep on the flights.

lljkk Sun 05-Nov-17 09:47:30

yeah, it depends how you can travel, too.
I have colleague from NZ who has also lived all over the world but his wife is from England so they have racked up impressive air-miles over last 40 years in all directions. Within 5 minutes of take-off his wife is asleep & so arrives well-slept & refreshed. Friend is like me & can't sleep at all on a plane. You can guess who dreads long haul flights & who doesn't.

I wish it took only 15 hours. 4 hrs to reach airport, 2 hrs wait in airport, 9.5-11 hrs on plane (direct), 1 hr to get out of airport & arrive at relatives'. That's ~17-18 hrs each way.

The jetlag I had last time was less about sleep & more about food; I felt too sick to eat in daylight hours but peckish all night. A medical acquaintance moaned that his jetlag meant vaso-supressin wasn't working right, so he had to get up to wee all night.

Sarahjconnor Sun 05-Nov-17 12:25:43

Thanks

It's not possible to do a direct flight so the flight is a 9/10 hr leg then a further 3/4 hour leg with varying delays. It's generally a journey from hell and we have to fly the very cheapest way poss to afford it at all.

Sarahjconnor Sun 05-Nov-17 12:27:51

Last time we had a 36 hr delay at our connection airport - with no bags and no £ for hotel etc. It's put me off, I admit!

Direct flights are all fully booked or horrendously expensive - 3x price of cheaper flights with stops sad

Wishingandwaiting Sun 05-Nov-17 12:33:27

Backinthe box...

Any advise for travelling long haul with children? Anything helps with sleep?!

TheFaerieQueene Sun 05-Nov-17 12:35:47

I went to Tokyo for a long weekend (Thursday to Monday) and it was fine whilst I was there. It hurt for a few days when I got back, but I would do it again.

Sarahjconnor Sun 05-Nov-17 13:29:50

wishing - what age? I have done a lot of long haul wit kids from 6months onwards. I find being very chilled and having a lot of treats that they aren't normally allowed works well.

Wishingandwaiting Sun 05-Nov-17 22:05:27

7 and 4. On my own.
I have done long haul with them before on my own, but first class, so they slept beautifully.

This is 13 hours economy. I’m worried about sleeping. They’re very good easy children so I don’t need to worry about behaviour or entertaining etc. I just worry about them not sleeping and then the first two days of a 7 day holiday being tough because all sleep deprived.

I’m not averse to piriton etc if people say it works?

BillyAndTheSillies Sun 05-Nov-17 22:11:03

Did a long weekend in Malaysia at the end of September. It was fine with me and DH but we were both relieved DS wasn’t with us and we only had our own jet lag to deal with. Arrived in KL early on Friday, checked in and slept for 4 hours and then we were right as rain.
Took a good few days to adjust when we got back but I’d definitely do it again!

dontcallmethatyoucunt Wed 08-Nov-17 16:49:21

We've just done Florida for a week at half term. DD9 & 6 were fine.

I went to Japan for a week and it was fine too.

My DD's are good sleepers though I take drugs

Wishingandwaiting Wed 08-Nov-17 17:03:17

Dontcallmethat

Do you take the meds if travelling alone? I’m considering but then worried I may be sluggish if something happens?

dontcallmethatyoucunt Wed 08-Nov-17 17:10:15

If anything happened, I'd have such a jolt of adrenaline, I'd be up. I don't take enough to be in virtual comma like I did pre-kids and travelling longhaul I am talking melatonin these days not Valium so it also helps me when I'm home too

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now