Talk

Advanced search

Anyone travelled to Canada on Air Transat

(15 Posts)
purplepandas Sat 04-Nov-17 20:13:18

Hi

Has anyone used Air Transat from UK to Canada? BA is stupidly expensive as are other options. AT are way cheaper but reviews are not fab. Just wondering if anyone has good/bad/other experiences they can share.

Thanks
PP

aeneidbook4 Sat 04-Nov-17 20:18:04

I have, though a few years ago. It was absolutely fine - I don't remember it being any different from any other carrier. I used to fly to Canada a lot and the flights/planes were all much of a muchness.

xyzandabc Sat 04-Nov-17 20:18:31

Yes, we travelled as a family of 5 Gatwick to Vancouver as I just couldn't justify the price difference to fly BA or Air Canada from LHR. (Was several thousand pounds difference for all 5 of us)
Absolute fine. Not everything they promised from the kids club materialised. I.e the special kids meals as they'd only just been brought in and weren't on every flight at that time. But we did get priority check in and our bags came out 1st due to signing up to the kids club. Also the kids entertainment pack on board was decent I seem to recall.
As for the flight, I can't say it was any different to any other airline. Seat back entertainment just the same. Food ok. Flights on time.

purplepandas Sat 04-Nov-17 20:26:45

Thank you! More food, kids entertainment (key for us) etc. Totally get that flights are much of a muchness. More concerned that not an Easyjet flight for such a long distance. Fine for a couple of hours but could not hack that for 9-12 hrs!

rookiemere Sun 05-Nov-17 09:05:15

Have used them and found them fine. If they still do it DS joined the kids club which meant we got priority boarding and he got extra free snacks which he was very happy about !

dontcallmethatyoucunt Wed 08-Nov-17 16:52:56

Yep and going again. I've also just flown longhaul on BA and I can tell youbAT has better planes, more entertainment and I preferred it.

However it took 3 hours to get served a drink! Stock up from the thousands you save wink

dontcallmethatyoucunt Wed 08-Nov-17 16:54:11

Oh and AT get delays, but I'd still rather save the cash!

BreakfastAtSquiffanys Wed 08-Nov-17 16:55:10

My Canadian friends rave about West jet if that's an option

TheNotSoGoodWife Wed 08-Nov-17 16:57:04

20 years ago shock, out to Toronto and back from Vancouver. It was a airline that got me to and from where I needed to be without incident and on a student budget.

I did have to watch 'The Birdcage' without sound and the chap next to me explaining the story because the sound wotsits wouldn't work all along our side of the plane though grin

lazydog Wed 08-Nov-17 17:02:17

Yes, many times. We travel back to the UK every year, to visit family, and it's usually via AT. We've also used Air Canada a couple of times, BA once, and Iceland Air once. Noticed no real difference in the cattle class offerings of them all, other than that Air Canada's flight attendants were by far the least friendly on both years' trips that we used them.

cookiefiend Wed 08-Nov-17 17:09:47

Loads of times- a budget airline but most of the time the only way for us to fly direct so saves time and money. Never had any real problem- whole extended family have used them for years.

SweetChickadee Wed 08-Nov-17 17:14:10

Air transat are fine, but yes try WestJet too as they are a fair bit cheaper than Air Canada

sonnybeaudelaire Sun 26-Nov-17 16:07:17

We flew from London to Vancouver with AT this summer. Like you I was a bit nervous beforehand.

I would recommend them - there are screens in the back of the seat in front of you (I couldn’t tell if that’s the case with Westjet which is why we went for AT) and the choice of viewing was good.

Food was fine, standard for airlines. Seats were comfy enough. Air stewards were all really friendly and professional.

You can pay a bit more and pre-book your seat, we booked as far forward as possible and this was in a smaller area of around 10-15 rows which felt very quiet. That will probably make more sense when you look at a seating plan!

The only niggle is lack of drinks - they do this weird thing where if you ask for (say) a lemonade, you only get half the can poured out for you, and the other half is used for the next person. So stock up on liquids once you are through security.

Definitely good value for money compared to BA and the like!

purplepandas Sun 26-Nov-17 18:32:39

Thanks Sonny. Really glad you said that as we have booked with AT. No other choice as the price for pretty much anything else was madness. I am not sure about screens for Westjet either, I think some did not.

MissMooMoo Tue 28-Nov-17 21:39:44

Canadian living in the UK here.
AT a budget airline but absolutely fine, I use them often.
You get 22 or 23 kg of checked luggage and a meal included in your ticket price.

Westjet also fly from Gatwick but you need to pay to check bags and for food.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now