Talk

Advanced search

Where to go - long haul with 3.5 year old

(9 Posts)
farine Sat 04-Nov-17 08:42:06

DD will be starting school next September so we want to take advantage of this by going on a trip of a lifetime outside of school holidays.

Any recommendations on where would work with a 3, almost 4, year old?

Don't want it to be a beach holiday but not sure what is realistic with a little one in toe (is think safari is out?)

tinypop4 Sat 04-Nov-17 13:34:45

What about Singapore? It's hot, but great if you don't want anything too beachy:
There are a ton of water parks and splash parks everywhere with toddler areas.
Gardens by the bay is incredible for adults and has a dedicated children's garden with water play and a huge park. The evening light show there is also amazing and she would love it- it's not too late- about 8.15, my Dd enjoyed it at 3.
Macritchie Reservoir for a bit of a walk and for her to see the hundreds of monkeys!
Sentosa- you can go over on cable car which is fun, then visit the aquarium which is world-class. There are also man made beaches if you fancy half a day.

If you want a change, you can go by cheap budget flight to Thailand - Krabi is lovely, had beaches but also a short coach ride away is the emerald pool- natural springs which you would all enjoy a swim in.
You can also fly quickly to Bali if you fancy a few days on a beach.

Teds77 Mon 06-Nov-17 10:31:15

We went in school holidays (my niece was already in school) but we loved California (road trip) with DTs who were just four. We have been back to the States again and definitely recommend.

Get a direct flight, don't move every night and limit your driving.

The States has great cities and amazing national parks and landscapes and it's very easy to travel around.

Rainshowers Tue 07-Nov-17 07:52:52

We did California with 2.5 year old DD, and found it a great balance. As Teds77 said, don't be tempted to move too much but you can still fit lots in. There's plenty of beaches, child friendly activities (DD loved a kids science museum that was mainly outdoors), bike riding etc. And the overnight flight back was easy as she slept all the way!

Lily2007 Tue 07-Nov-17 23:50:59

South Africa Cape Town, can see penguins on the beach. We went on a safari too to the big 5 here www.aquilasafari.com, think there's no age restriction on it but check if interested. Table Mountain etc.

mummymeister Wed 08-Nov-17 09:31:24

you could do Canada and travel around or the usa. it depends on how many weeks you are looking for and how adventurous you are. your 3/4 year old might want to do Disney. its the perfect age really.

Hillingdon Wed 08-Nov-17 09:36:06

Why not a beach? Its just I have done all the holidays listed above and California is fab but not really suitable for a 3.5 year old. South Africa is great but again do watch the age limits for safari. I particularly avoided the ones that allowed kids as they can be difficiult to manage in a open sided truck (my kids were much older).

Mauritius is great. Or Dubai? Disney but at a slow pace. Theme parks day after day are very tiring

farine Wed 08-Nov-17 15:58:38

Thanks for suggestions.

I'm just not really a sit on the beach kind of person and would rather be out and about.

I could do a few days on the beach but would need to mix it up with trips / other activities. Maybe US is a good idea then if I try somewhere like California we could probably get a good mix.

Would be a two week holiday

Allthebestnamesareused Wed 08-Nov-17 16:06:53

My son was 4 first time we took him on safari. he could spot things ages before we did and the guide would then check with his binocular and he was always right.

He loved it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: