Talk

Advanced search

Thanksgiving etiquette - any American people about?

(7 Posts)
Mamabooksbabynumber2 Fri 03-Nov-17 12:21:06

Hello! I'm off to America for thanksgiving to see my friend and wondered what thanksgiving day usually goes like and also what I can bring? Do you give gifts?

What's the etiquette of Thanksgiving?

Thank you!
X

MissConductUS Fri 03-Nov-17 12:43:55

Bloody Yank here! smile

Gifts are not necessary, but an nice bottle of wine or flowers would be much appreciated I'm sure.

One bit of advice - there will be a lot of food, so don't overdo on appetizers and take small portions of all the different veg on offer. Save room for dessert. It's a lovely, sweet holiday.

Any more questions, feel free to ask.

Yank On Standby grin

Laska5772 Fri 03-Nov-17 12:47:47

Careful OP I remember a US friend raving about sweet potato pie with marshmallows on top <shudders>

MissConductUS Fri 03-Nov-17 12:47:53

Oh, sorry, I've neglected the "what it usually goes like" part of your post.

It generally starts early to mid afternoon. Appetizers and American football on the telly while the meal comes together in the kitchen for an hour or two, then another hour or two for all the courses and dessert. Everything usually wraps up by 6:00 or 7:00 so people can get home, especially if there are children to put to bed.

What part of the US will you be visiting? That will determine the weather. As to dress, think nice casual, not really dressy.

HTH

Mamabooksbabynumber2 Fri 03-Nov-17 12:50:12

Oooo this is super helpful thank you!! It's in L.A. and it is possibly going to be just the two of us xxx

MissConductUS Fri 03-Nov-17 12:54:56

You're most welcome. If it's just two of you consider going out. There will be lots of place in L.A. serving a traditional Thanksgiving meal and it would be a huge amount of work to make that meal for just the two of you.

Los Angeles should be lovely in late November. Will it be your first time in the US and can you make it a bit of a holiday and do some sightseeing? I'm a New Yorker but have been to L.A. several times and know the city fairly well.

DeliveredByKiki Thu 23-Nov-17 06:51:00

I live in LA (Brit expat) and we’re hosting a Friendsgiving tomorrow - if you’re not sorted there are tons of restaurant that are doing meals tomorrow, notleast Cafe gratitude which we went to last year for an incredible vegan feast ... when inRome and all that

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now