Talk

Advanced search

Mexico advice please

(15 Posts)
Northernmum100 Sat 28-Oct-17 19:30:00

Family of 4 who usually do Mediterranean hols and we want to go further afield. I like the look of Mexico and would really appreciate some advice taking into account the following;
2 DC age 15 and 17 who like to be active
Not a hotel, so I am thinking villas/apartments on a complex so the are facilities, people to meet etc
Not a party central resort

Any advice welcome!

SexAndAllThatJunk Sat 28-Oct-17 19:55:30

How about asking any neighbors if they have a house in Mexico that you could stay at winkgrin

SummerKelly Sat 28-Oct-17 20:04:05

grin

2014newme Sun 29-Oct-17 09:23:36

Why wouldnt you want a hotel? The facilities at Mexican hotels, presuming hotels you mean the riviera may a, are excellent and many cater specifically for teens.
If you really do think want a hotel look at tulum there are apartments and boutique type places there.
Go to xel-ha for the day it's brill

Northernmum100 Sun 29-Oct-17 21:31:35

Sorry for being dim but why would I ask my neighbours? That has gone right over my head.....

I was only asking for some advicesad

myrtleWilson Sun 29-Oct-17 21:37:12

theres a famous thread on MN where a neighbour borrows neighbours house in Mexico - undiscovered for ages!

Where about in Mexico are you thinking - its a big ole place?!

Theimpossiblegirl Sun 29-Oct-17 21:46:09

Watching with interest as we want to go to Mexico next year. Looking at the Rui Tequila as friends say it's a lovely hotel.

Northernmum100 Mon 30-Oct-17 10:33:20

Ahhh, that makes sense now! Not been mumsnetting all that long but will now have to try to find itsmile

We would like scuba/snorkelling and riding as activities and a bit of history/culture too so is there a particular region to look at for those?

Also,I note August is in peak hurricane season so is it an absolute no for our Summer holiday?

2014newme Mon 30-Oct-17 16:34:40

Riviera may a has everything you want. We go in may

WaxOnFeckOff Mon 30-Oct-17 16:37:58

Have a look at the Pacific coast. We stayed in nueva vallarta and did some riding on the beach and in the Sierra Madre mountains. Hotel dud scuba. DH dud it and also sailing etc.

Unihorn Wed 01-Nov-17 11:03:36

We stayed at the Occidental Grand Xcaret next to the Xcaret and Xplor parks on the Riviera Maya and a short taxi away from many cenotes for underground swimming. The hotel has a few different restaurants offering Chinese, Mexican, steak, seafood etc. and its only mini reef for snorkelling.

www.virginholidays.co.uk/destinations/caribbean/mexico/riviera-maya/occidental-at-xcaret-destination-browse we booked through Hotels.com for about £110 a night but that was travelling in september. No hurricane issues for us but there really is no way of telling.

Unihorn Wed 01-Nov-17 11:06:25

An excursion like this might be good too: www.aventurasmayas.com/tour.php?tour_id=7 we did a similar one and had a great time. Many companies offer more DIY packages for exploring ruins. Chichen Itza and Tulum are both great places.

Backinthebox Wed 01-Nov-17 11:25:30

Riviera Maya area is fantastic with loads to see and do, but make sure you get well out of Cancun! (American Benidorm!) August is Hurricane season but not everywhere gets hit by a hurricane every year. This year was especially bad for certain countries that got hit twice, but Mexico has not had any this year. I wouldn't let hurricane season put me off going to a country - I fly to the Caribbean, Mexico and Florida for work (have been for the last 14 years) and have not been in one yet, although I flew past a few this year and have missed the occasional one by a few days. Depending on who you listen to hurricane season can last for up to 6 months, which is a long time for a region that relies on tourism to not be open for business.

Getting back to Mexico, the Riviera Maya has plenty of places for stuff like snorkelling and diving, zip-wiring through jungles, kayaking, jet-skiing, trekking, visiting ruins, cycling, boat trips, wildlife (you can see turtles, whale sharks, monkeys, crocodiles, all sorts.) It's my favourite holiday destination, and I'm just waiting till my kids are old enough to get the most out of it.

BendyBusBuggy Thu 02-Nov-17 08:41:54

A bit of a trek to get to but worth it is Puerto Escondido on the pacific coast.

swimster01 Thu 02-Nov-17 18:02:34

Tulum is a really pretty area - it looked like the sort of place that would have good holiday rentals

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: