Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mexico over New Year

(14 Posts)
WhatTimeIsItCuckoo Tue 17-Oct-17 14:18:58

Just booked this as it's my 50th in December. Never been before. Anyone else been at this time of year? How was the weather?

Vitalogy Tue 17-Oct-17 14:23:14

I've not been myself, would like to though. I hope you have a great time!
Is it a relaxing holiday or will you be doing sightseeing?

WhatTimeIsItCuckoo Tue 17-Oct-17 14:26:37

Thank you! Very excited! No just chilling out completely with the kids, 12 (though practically 13 by then), 11 & 6 smile

kirinm Tue 17-Oct-17 23:19:01

We went to Mexico this year. Loved it! Where are you going?

WhatTimeIsItCuckoo Wed 18-Oct-17 07:15:08

We are going to Riviera Maya, Grand Serenis Resort & Spa smile

kirinm Wed 18-Oct-17 08:19:55

Ah! That’s where I stayed. Get on one of the little buses and head to Akamai beach to swim with the turtles. Ignore the beach vendors who say it’s mandatory to have a guide - it isn’t (we double checked with our hotel). There’s a lovely beach bar on the beach itself which does good tacos.

There are some great cenotes close to the hotel too. And also check out Yalku - a huge lagoon. I’d highly recommend the buses rather than taxis as they’re so much cheaper and hotspot safe.

kirinm Wed 18-Oct-17 08:20:16

*totally safe (not hotspot).

Trailedanderror Wed 18-Oct-17 08:21:10

Who are you going with? We normally go away New Year to Thailand and last year Egypt but everything is so £££ this year!

kirinm Wed 18-Oct-17 09:11:32

I’d guess Thompson by the hotel.

2014newme Wed 18-Oct-17 09:15:15

We love riviera may a taken our kids a few times. Xel-ha is amazing definitely go there for a day. Snorkeling with turtles at akumal is brilliant. We do get a guide as we see more with one, this time over a dozen large turtles plus barracuda and stingrays. The guides also pull a rubber ring which my children hold on to.
Don't bother with cozumel

WhatTimeIsItCuckoo Wed 18-Oct-17 12:05:22

Yes it's Thompson. Thanks for all the tips everyone, very useful smile. Kirinm did you like the hotel overall?

WhatTimeIsItCuckoo Wed 18-Oct-17 14:06:40

Also how did you find the accommodation? We've booked the superior suite, there are 5 of us and I think the superior is no bigger in size anyway, it may mean the youngest is on the sofa bed and I share with our daughter (11) and my husband with our son (almost 13). No real biggie to me as it's only 11 nights but my husband was a bit concerned about the available space for us all. Interested to hear how you found it? Also are there laundry facilities there? That would mean we could pack lighter!

kirinm Wed 18-Oct-17 15:41:28

It was a nice enough hotel. I’d never been to such a huge hotel and I didn’t particularly like the size. The room was big enough, we had two double beds (there were only two of us) but if the room is the same size, it’ll be big enough but it’s not a mansion.

Food was average but kids might like it Try and get out of the hotel if you can! All the people were lovely. I’d go back to Mexico in a heartbeat but I’d look at renting an apartment purely because the huge AI didn’t really offer anything we needed.

Not sure about laundry but I expect they did - email them.

MooChops89 Wed 01-Nov-17 21:06:06

DH and I went to Grand Sirenis for our honeymoon in January - we absolutely loved it! Lovely resort but huge. We are desperate to go back in Jan for our anniversary but I'm pregnant so we are having to try and find somewhere zika free, absolutely gutted! I know lots of people dont like big all inclusive hotels and fuss over the food but we loved everything about it. There is a laundry service for a fee, can't remember how much as we didn't use it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now