Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Pushchair allowed on plane?

(17 Posts)
Shadowboy Sun 15-Oct-17 08:42:29

We are flying in a week and can't find any info on whether we can use a pushchair in the airport to then take with us abroad? The airline we are flying with doesn't have a U.K. Office so I can't phone them to ask. I'm convinced I've seen people take pushchairs abroad and in the airport. Is it pretty standard with all airlines?

PotteringAlong Sun 15-Oct-17 08:43:38

Yes. You can normally take them to the gate and then they put them in the hold.

dementedpixie Sun 15-Oct-17 08:45:26

Most let you take them to the gate with you. Think you still check it in at the desk but then keep it with you

talkshowhost97 Sun 15-Oct-17 08:47:28

Yes, every airline I've flown with has the same procedure. Take the buggy to check in desk where they will tag it to get through security. Depending on airport you may have to fold it to go through the scanner or empty it and hand it over to be scanned/swabbed by security. Then you can take it into departure lounge to gate.

You hand it over at the bottom of the stairs/before tunnel. It is usually returned at the same place at other end but occasionally this doesn't happen and you have to find it at luggage claim. I always have a baby carrier with me too as that can be a long walk without a buggy.

TittyGolightly Sun 15-Oct-17 08:49:39

It is usually returned at the same place at other end but occasionally this doesn't happen and you have to find it at luggage claim.

Flew extensively with DD (different countries, different airlines) and not once got the buggy back at the gate - always the luggage carousel. It's a shit system.

MsMarvel Sun 15-Oct-17 08:54:36

Flew recently in a large group, two infants in pushchairs.

Had the pushchairs up until the gate and handed them over.

Waited for ages at the carousel to get them back, no sign. It was only one the way back from the toilet that they were spotted waaay at the other end of the large reclaim hall, next to a small sign saying 'special baggage reclaim'

Just a warning to look for a similar area if they dont seem to be appearing

2014newme Sun 15-Oct-17 09:24:07

Like pps I've not got the buggy back on arrival till baggage reclaim which has meant a haul through the airport with twin babies and hand luggage and no buggy. So take sling for arrival.

Expectantrobot Sun 15-Oct-17 09:27:24

Get a baby zen yoyo. They fold down to cabin luggage size, so you have that as your carry on luggage and can take it on the plane with you.

talkshowhost97 Sun 15-Oct-17 09:30:54

Waited for ages at the carousel to get them back, no sign. It was only one the way back from the toilet that they were spotted waaay at the other end of the large reclaim hall, next to a small sign saying 'special baggage reclaim'

This is a good point and has happened to me too.

Surprised about the luggage claim being more common than return at gate for some though. Perhaps that's more common for long haul as although we fly frequently, it is mostly short haul.

Shadowboy Sun 15-Oct-17 12:16:02

Fab! Thanks everyone. Not done a longhaul with two kids before- this will be interesting. At least that's one stress off my mind.

TittyGolightly Sun 15-Oct-17 12:28:48

They fold down to cabin luggage size, so you have that as your carry on luggage and can take it on the plane with you.

How do you take anything else with you then though? Nappies/toys/blankets/clothes etc.

fatfingeredfran Sun 15-Oct-17 19:42:52

Which airline are you flying with?

Shadowboy Sun 15-Oct-17 20:10:13

MEA and there is nothing on their website. Will hope they are 'as standard'!

fatfingeredfran Sun 15-Oct-17 20:35:52

How annoying that it's not on their website, it must be fairly noon.

Good luck for your journey

fatfingeredfran Sun 15-Oct-17 20:36:07

Noon = common

Taytotots Sun 22-Oct-17 12:25:49

2014newme that happened to me when traveling on my own with twins too. I had a sling but hard to manage bags etc and two babies. Fortunately some very nice people helped out.

Taytotots Sun 22-Oct-17 12:27:17

I had car seat too as needed to fly with two solo. Fun times.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now