Talk

Advanced search

Hawaii

(11 Posts)
Juanbablo Thu 12-Oct-17 03:27:01

Has anyone been to Hawaii? Any recommendations of which island to visit and the best time of year to go?

AttilaTheMeerkat Thu 12-Oct-17 07:11:10

I have travelled to the Hawaiian Islands from the UK. There is really no bad time of year to go there.

Most first time visitors go to Oahu which is where Waikiki Beach is located. Its the most built up island in the chain, its very much America by the Sea. The north shore of Oahu however is far less built up. Other islands like Kauai and Maui are also less developed and are lush and scenic. It depends what you want.

If you are flying from the UK use a British based carrier and overnight in either LA or San Francisco (you will need to do the same on the return leg). Onward flight time from these West Coast cities to the Islands is about 6 to 6.5 hours.

Interisland flights can be expensive as there is only one carrier who operates between the Islands (Hawaiian Airlines). HA do not accept UK customers details on their website but they have a UK agent who will place such bookings with Hawaiian.

specialsubject Fri 13-Oct-17 19:13:51

Waikiki is Tenerife with warm water and american city problems. See it for the 'wow! I'm in Hawaii!', climb diamond head and go to pearl harbour. Then go somewhere else.

Big island is amazing.

Juanbablo Fri 13-Oct-17 20:49:16

I want somewhere beautiful and relaxing but also want to sight see and have an adventure. We have 3 children so it needs to be family friendly.

Mrmoonmrmoon Fri 13-Oct-17 20:50:47

Waikiki is expensive & touristy. Kauai is beautiful

twingygirl Sat 14-Oct-17 00:11:12

Maui is very family friendly and has wonderful side trips…volcanoes, road to Hana, Molokini crater snorkeling (even with kids as young as four), horse riding in the rain forests, waterfalls and hidden beaches to hike to… Tons of great hotel choice and lovely beaches in Kaanapali and Wailea. I'd skip Waikiki completely.

Zeelove Sat 14-Oct-17 00:14:59

Maui haha

Westcountrygemini Sat 14-Oct-17 02:15:38

Agree with previous poster, Big Island is amazing and can offer everything you are looking for. Maybe consider the waikoloa area? Kauai more muted, haven't been to Maui or Oahu yet.

Btw, I booked my interisland flights with Hawaiian from the Uk, over the net. No problem with being resident in the UK or having a UK registered credit card.

Juanbablo Sat 14-Oct-17 15:10:27

Is big island Hawaii Island?

AttilaTheMeerkat Sat 14-Oct-17 18:41:54

Hawaii is also called the Big Island.

BubblesBuddy Sat 14-Oct-17 19:46:50

If you are going from the UK it takes forever to get there! Far better to go to Costa Rica or Belize.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: