Talk

Advanced search

Average flight costs lhw or Gatwick to lax. Finnair under two grand for four?

(27 Posts)
LeavesinAutumn Tue 10-Oct-17 21:29:51

Is that about right? I was looking at two weeks next Easter and I thought that seemed really cheap? Is finnair OK?

AttilaTheMeerkat Wed 11-Oct-17 08:41:29

I'd be wondering why the fare is so cheap; cheap as well is not always cheerful particularly if you obliged to pay for all meals, putting more than one suitcase in the hold etc.

There are other carriers like VA and BA who overall would offer a better product (and probably a more generous baggage allowance to boot). I would look at them too.

Is the flight a direct one?. If not I would find someone else to fly with.

mummymeister Wed 11-Oct-17 09:27:07

go onto the momondo website and see what the flights and prices are like there. budget airlines make their money on what they can up sell -food entertainment etc. if you do go with them make sure that you don't have to pay extra for things like entertainment even if you bring your own.

VentureTravel17 Wed 11-Oct-17 14:31:14

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

VeryPunny Wed 11-Oct-17 14:39:58

Finnair is fine (more than fine). It's part of the same alliance as BA and American Airlines (oneworld). Not sure what there onboard offering is like long haul though.

Cantseethewoods Wed 11-Oct-17 14:52:33

Finnair is awesome. New fleet. Great service.

Cantseethewoods Wed 11-Oct-17 14:55:09

Presumably it's via Helsinki. That's the only issue as increases flight time.

LeavesinAutumn Wed 11-Oct-17 16:07:28

NO its direct, two weeks next Easter, I didn't know if it was a budget airline...and I am not sure about in flight stuff will be with two small dc - so obv want comfort. We would not actually go next Easter I was putting in flights to get an idea. sky scanner. flight times seem good too.

LeavesinAutumn Wed 11-Oct-17 16:09:50

07:20
LGW11h 20
Direct
10:40
LAX
ReturnFri, 13 Apr 2018
Norwegian
12:40
LAX10h 20
Direct
07:00
(+1)
LGW
Book your tickets
Economy class, 2 adults, 2 children
Read before booking
GotoGate
£459
£1,833 total
Select

^^ not sure what gotogate is>

PestoSwimissimos Wed 11-Oct-17 16:09:51

Finnair are a great airline and their new Airbus A350’s are to die for 😍

poisonedbypen Wed 11-Oct-17 16:10:40

Would recommend Norwegian if that is an option.

LeavesinAutumn Wed 11-Oct-17 16:11:03

pesto I wonder if this is a promotion on their new air bus?

Paddybare Wed 11-Oct-17 16:15:24

Sorry if I’ve misunderstood but Norwegian and Finnair aren’t the same airline.

Norwegian use new Boeing 787 Dreamliners direct from LGW for their longhaul destinations.

Finnair longhaul flights are all via helsinki.

Just be careful as luggage/food etc are all extra.

poisonedbypen Wed 11-Oct-17 16:16:18

That's why I was recommending Norwegian - don't go via anywhere & known to be cheap.

poisonedbypen Wed 11-Oct-17 16:17:25

Oh, I see it was Norwegian anyway, not Finnair grin I'm confused

LeavesinAutumn Wed 11-Oct-17 16:18:57

Sorry if I’ve misunderstood but Norwegian and Finnair aren’t the same airline

Its me grin grin

How silly blush so yes its actually Norwegin however I have just been on Finnair actual website and they do 1794 for roughly same flights.

I am just surprised as I always thought it would be costing well into and over 3 grand to get us all there. I will have to save like a demon for a long time but its not as prohibitive as 3 grand over mark

Teds77 Thu 12-Oct-17 13:01:31

I don't know whether it's the arrival of Norwegian on this route but the prices seem pretty good from many carriers at the moment. Lots of offers from Air New Zealand and Virgin have lots of flights around the £450/£500 mark when I was looking the other day. Other routes (Las Vegas for example) were a lot more expensive during school hols.

Finnair and BA code share so if it's a direct flight from London to LA it may actually be a BA flight rather than Finnair.

handsfree Thu 12-Oct-17 13:03:44

Dh and I are flying with Norwegian to LAX next month - flights were £300 each!!!! Mind that doesn’t include food, we’ve decided to take our own.

VeryPunny Thu 12-Oct-17 13:34:02

Okay, so Norwegian are low cost, more EasyJet than Finnair, which is a full service. But for that price it will be fine!

somewhereovertherain Fri 13-Oct-17 05:46:32

We flew west jet via Canada was awesome and for when we went was about a Grand cheaper than any other uk options. Cheapest was from Stockholm via lhr but worked out once we’d flown to Sweden we’d only save about 300 on west jet. Ba was about 2k more.

ihatethecold Fri 13-Oct-17 06:58:27

I saw flights to NY at Easter for £350 with Norwegian.
Made me nervous when BA was nearer £650+

Are they really ok to fly with?

MongerTruffle Fri 13-Oct-17 07:02:03

Are they really ok to fly with?

Yes
According to Skytrax, Norwegian is the best long haul low-cost carrier in the world.

Bekabeech Fri 13-Oct-17 07:20:27

Some acquaintances really recommend Finnair for going to the Far East, and apparently going via Helsinki doesn't really add to the flight time.
This is a total deviation, but I thought it could be interesting to some.

ihatethecold Fri 13-Oct-17 08:44:39

Thanks Monger truffle.

BubblesBuddy Sat 14-Oct-17 20:19:27

Norwegian have one of the worst on time records. Best can mean cheap. Also code share does not mean equal prices. The cheaper (less prestigious) partner will have cheaper flight prices. Whatever you do, look for promotions and book early. Also, LA isn't cheap when you are there but if you are visiting relatives the purse is not so strained!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: