Talk

Advanced search

Staten Island

(13 Posts)
Daisychain06 Wed 04-Oct-17 14:40:21

Hiya. Going to New York next August - hot I know but tied with school holidays. Planning on staying in an apartment on Staten Island - if I can find one. Going around in circles at the moment. Ideally would like within walking distance of the ferry. Does anyone know what the area is like around the St George area? Is there any tips or pointers you can throw my way or anything I need to know? Thanks.

AttilaTheMeerkat Thu 05-Oct-17 08:21:33

Was wondering why Staten Island at all?. Overall cost?

I would look into booking hotel accommodation rather than apartment renting because many tourists have been scammed, thrown out of the building or get accommodation that is not as described. Many sites advertise such rentals but the veracity of these are not checked. Short term lets of 30 days or less in the NYC five boroughs (this includes Staten Island) are also illegal and I would not waste time and effort trying to find one legal rental place there.

Daisychain06 Fri 06-Oct-17 07:35:56

An apartment because otherwise it would be 3 separate hotel rooms which means the family are split up. With an apartment we can sit together, maybe get a take away in the evening and all watch tv together. Also an apartment is cheaper than 3 separate rooms. Staten Island because it is away from the hustle and bustle. Home and Away, Holiday Lettings and Airbnb all advertise lettings so surely these can't all be illegal??

AttilaTheMeerkat Fri 06-Oct-17 10:34:16

How many adults and children are in your party?. You will need hotel rooms; you will have legal comeback against the hotel if anything goes wrong. With apartment rentals you do not and if you get stuck or scammed out of your cash or just as bad you turn up and the property is not as described you are on your own. You have no way of knowing yourself that the rental you are looking it is both legal and as described. Many NYC apartments as well are really small in terms of size. You are looking for that needle in the haystack and you really do not want to spend any more time and effort on such things.

The ongoing war between the likes of Airbnb and NYC keeps continuing to heat up. Do not be a part of it.

Those sites you mention never ever check the veracity of such listings and the problem is that short term lets are illegal in the five boroughs of NYC and that includes Staten Island. Many tenants can and do rent out their apartment against the terms of their agreement so sublet it illegally. Other tenants can and have certainly complained about their building being used by people coming and going all the time and this gets investigated by the super of that building. Do not risk it for a supposedly cheaper holiday.

EachandEveryone Fri 06-Oct-17 10:36:03

Why not New Jersey?

ZaraW Mon 09-Oct-17 11:14:54

I've stayed in a two bed apartment in Harlem near 125th Street for a great price though as it's becoming a more desirable area prices are increasing. Booking made through booking.com. I wouldn't stay in Staten Island.

CSLewis Tue 17-Oct-17 14:38:05

Check out Hilton Home2Suites in Long Island City. We're a big family, and I found a great deal there. Look out for their Long Weekender special rates, if your dates cover a weekend.

BubblesBuddy Fri 20-Oct-17 09:55:13

West 119th B and B in Harlem may be available. Much better than Staten Island. Booking sites have appartments too.

Staten Island is a commuter area for lower Manhattan. It will take an age to get the ferry and then get to anywhere else in Manhattan as you are so far south. Harlem or Brooklyn are better.

Annebronte Fri 20-Oct-17 17:11:49

Previous posters are correct: holiday appartment lets are illegal in New York. Loads are advertised on Airbnb etc, but they are still illegal.

MsAmerica Tue 31-Oct-17 23:34:46

Vacation rentals are not, in fact, all illegal in NYC. It depends on the situation. Besides which, it's one of the things that continues anyway.

fucksakefay Tue 31-Oct-17 23:48:34

I know St Georges and SI well. The ferry goes every half an hour and takes 30 minutes - great views of Statue of Liberty and the skyscraper skyline though during this time so you won't be bored! Do it at sunset for amazing views. Ferry brings you into the southern tip of Manhatten v convenient for Freedom Tower and Ellis Island. It's a nice walk along Battery park/ the south Shore from the Manhatten ferry terminal to Freedom Tower / where the winter garden was at World Trade Centre - think it's called something else now - they have a new shopping centre there now. Yes it's not convenient for Central or Upper Manhatten but its well connected.

St Georges used to be very rough but in recent years it's been really gentrified and is now quite desirable. Careful you're in the nice area though and not a bit that's not been done up yet. I often stay off Forest Avenue in SI and get the express bus into
Manhattan.
The ferry terminal itself has a several food outlets.
NY City people are sneery about SI but I like it a lot and you can't deny it's convenient. Go to an Italian deli and get massive bagels and the anti pasti - delicious !

fucksakefay Tue 31-Oct-17 23:53:25

PS if it's a genuine waterfront SI condo they have great views and are really nice

This is a good article about NYC and Air bnb

fucksakefay Tue 31-Oct-17 23:53:44

www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/technology/2017/feb/12/airbnb-hosts-new-york-fines-government-illegal

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: