Talk

Advanced search

Recent experience of BA long haul?

(27 Posts)
ja9r Sat 30-Sep-17 23:12:36

How bad was it? Just read hunnerds of awful reviews! Too late as I've booked it. Flying at the weekend.

Just checked on website and as far as I can see economy food and 1checked bag included in ticket. But have picked up vibes to the contrary on review sites... ?

expatinscotland Sat 30-Sep-17 23:17:15

Just flew long haul with them in August. With DS who has autism and DD2, age 11. Was fine. BUT, bring extra food and snacks. The food was a bit scanty.

Rainshowers Sat 30-Sep-17 23:20:59

We flew to New York (premium economy) and Los Angeles (economy) last year. Both flights were fine. Food was average, like expat says, take snacks! The inflight entertainment had a good selection. They weren't very forthcoming with drinks on the LA flight unless you asked (but I had a 2 year old to deal with so kept forgetting). We had no complaints though.

Fekko Sat 30-Sep-17 23:21:36

Last year to the states. Never ever ever ever ever again. I'd rather fly Aeroflot.

I have zero tolerance for flying these days though - but the seats were teensy, plane cold/smelly/noisy. As I had a child with me I couldn't even have a glass of wine and slap on an eye mask and earplugs.

Was fed and has hand luggage space.

ShirleyPhallus Sat 30-Sep-17 23:22:00

I flew with them 6 times this year and every time was brilliant

On one flight it was so empty that I had 4 seats to myself and the cabin crew brought me champagne from first class. So they still get my vote!

Teds77 Sun 01-Oct-17 04:29:47

I think they're fine.

Did San Francisco last year. Planes were new a380s. Good entertainment and food was fine. Staff were nice with young kids.

Did Seattle this year. Plane out was a pretty old 747. DH kept complaining about screens and entertainment system which wasn't great (pretty old little screens, didn't 'pause'/remember where you were if you stopped to deal with kids etc.) Plane was totally full, there was only one meal choice left when we got served, not many drinks or snacks offered.

However flight home was newer plane, better entertainment system and staff were absolutely lovely!

But honestly, even the poorer journey was totally fine.

Terfing Sun 01-Oct-17 04:45:23

They have the rudest staff of any airline, I've found.

Userlavender Sun 01-Oct-17 05:13:44

@terfing have you ever flown aer lingus?! Or recently? Something. Else. Actually BA and Aer Lingus are partners now - both under IAG. If BA are like aer lingus with luggage i would bring as much stuff as possible in carry on bag. Go on twitter - 'aerclubsucks' has followers and information! BA last time I flew with them was last September to LA and food was crap and seats tiny but much much better on way home - as pp said. Weird!

ja9r Sun 01-Oct-17 14:31:54

Thanks all. We are really not very fussy... and are used to cheapo flights Ryanair/easyJet/Jet2... so don't have massively high expectations. Just want it not to be vile...!

ja9r Sun 01-Oct-17 14:32:39

And we will have no kids so happy to have wine and slap in earplugs!

CMOTDibbler Sun 01-Oct-17 14:40:09

I fly to the US a lot, and have flown United, Delta, American, Virgin and BA within the last year (BA back from San Diego on Wednesday this week). None of them are any better than the others tbh, and all have a variety of ages of plane from old and a bit grotty to brand new. All of them only have enough meals for people on the plane, so if you are towards the back, you'll be unlikely to get a choice.

AveEldon Sun 01-Oct-17 14:40:23

Food out was better than food on the way home
Staff coming home were better
Economy was pretty empty but that may just be that route

Inflight entertainment was dire. No decent movies or TV shows

RainbowCookie Sun 01-Oct-17 14:41:10

I've just flown with them to South Africa, on a brand new A380, it was very nice and half empty coming back. Just check the seat configuration for the loos, I though I had 1 in front of me but they curtained it off for premium economy so I had to go right guan to the back (which I did at least 20 times as kids seem to enjoy going to the toilet on planes...)

naturallysparkling Wed 04-Oct-17 21:56:31

I know its an airline con but i always pay extra for exit row/legroom seats. You can find the seat plan for your flight online with tips.I think taking a bit of control back helps reduce the fear. Food is always going to be poor, as pp says ... take snacks, buy extra drinks at the airport to prevent dehydration. Don't drink alcohol...Take book, iPad etc
I fly BA a lot, it can help to have the loyalty card, ask about upgrades at check in.. sometimes are available cheaply.

2014newme Thu 05-Oct-17 08:45:03

You need a back up plan in case they strike which they frequently do and is why I would never fly with them.
The technical balls up they had this year waS a disaster. We were in Mexico and people were arriving from UK who had to pay £8k for alternative flights as they were booked with BA and due to attend a wedding Mexico.
It's not the flights themselves it's the potential disruption and cancellation

Drinaballerina Thu 05-Oct-17 12:40:40

We also flew recently and it was fine - also on an A380. Food did seem to have been reduced for the adults, but kids meals were still a good size. I believe some crew were on strike when we flew out (they did seem a bit short) but all the staff there were really friendly and helpful, just a bit rushed.

ihatethecold Fri 06-Oct-17 17:58:12

We went to Orlando and back from Miami this summer. No complaints at all.

Mumtothelittlefella Wed 08-Nov-17 06:51:13

Fly to LA with them in May on A380 and found the service and staff to be great. Would go with them again.

WhirlwindHugs Wed 08-Nov-17 06:59:07

We flew earlier this year. It was fine, though they didn't serve any fresh fruit on either leg which I am used to so found strange.

At Heathrow passengers with kids weren't a boarding category, and there wasn't much seating in the waiting area. I think this jarred because the American airport was really considerate letting us skip queues etc.

Certainly no staff/luggage issues.

Fintress Wed 08-Nov-17 07:03:18

We flew long haul with them 3 years ago and it was hell. Old rickety plane and the staff were as grumpy as hell. I got soaked by an aircon unit on takeoff and had to sit soaking wet the whole flight, no help from the staff. Apparently it 'always did that' on takeoff. Hopefully you are on a newer plane which should be much better. Vowed never to use them again, however we are flying short haul with them on Friday for a connecting flight with a different airline but only because it's more or less a free flight as my husband has airmiles. I cashed mine in for cases of wine when I was pissed off with them. Hope you have a good flight.

theaveragewife Wed 08-Nov-17 07:09:25

I love BA and have found the on board staff fantastic each time, my dd left her rabbit blanket on board - that she'd had since birth and sleeps with every night, the cabin manager took it home, found out my number & email address and organised to have it sent back to my house the next day. I am a loyal BA fan, but after that will always fly with them.

BA Amex is also really worth getting, we've managed to get enough points a year to have a flight in business, and a companion voucher to somewhere further away, and a couple of flights to europe.

mogulfield Wed 08-Nov-17 07:23:31

Every time I’ve flown BA long haul they’ve been fine, staff friendly, plenty of food and drinks for me! I think the pp that said they’re all quite similar is right.
Flew BA short haul recently and they were excellent with my DS.

GreenShadow Wed 08-Nov-17 21:43:40

We've just booked an 11 hour flight with them and despite researching hotels/resorts, hadn't event thought to check BA reviews online.
Sadly I just have. They do look awful don't they.

Having said that, we're not particularly fussy customers and as I have never travelled anything other than economy, hopefully we won't find it tooo bad....

Dailystuck71 Fri 10-Nov-17 19:54:48

I find them much better than Virgin. I’d never opt to fly virgins again.

villamariavintrapp Fri 10-Nov-17 19:57:59

They were absolutely dreadful for us recently-100 times worse than Ryanair, jet2, Easyjet etc. Think they may not be so abysmal if you can avoid Heathrow? But I won't fly with them again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now