Talk

Advanced search

Hong kong with kids in August???

(13 Posts)
PuckeredAhole Fri 29-Sep-17 11:07:59

Will it be unbearable? Anyone been during this month?

We're looking at HK, Singapore or Seoul.

Worried about terrorism in Singapore though as according to reports the threat has increased greatly in the last year.

Seoul may be an issue due to Trump.

Can anyone think of similar destinations that are good for kids... city break + beach?

OP’s posts: |
howsafeismytrip Fri 29-Sep-17 15:31:44

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

PuckeredAhole Fri 29-Sep-17 19:20:44

Hi thanks for your very thorough reply! I think Hong Kong might be a no go as our kids are 5 and 3 and I don't fancy them getting dehydrated in a foreign country!

Thanks for your words on Singapore but it still makes me uneasy.

Perhaps it'll be Korea, but we won't book until the last minute to see what the situation is like. I agree that Kim won't really want a fight, but Trump is really poking the snake. He obviously wants a hallmark of his presidency a la Bush with Iraq or Obama with Libya.

howsafeismytrip Fri 29-Sep-17 20:06:02

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

ShanghaiDiva Sun 01-Oct-17 04:44:37

HK is very humid then and can be quite debilitating for children.
Singapore is humid all year, but agree with previous poster that I would consider it a safe destination and easy to combine with Bali.
If you want city and beach you could combine Seoul with Jeju Island.
What about Vietnam? Hoi an is a lovely destination and you could combine with Hanoi or hcmc. Weather is not ideal in Hanoi then, can be wet, but I have been in July and only had one day with rain. Hoi an can get very hot though, 40 + when I was there in July last year.

tothefareast80 Sun 01-Oct-17 04:52:45

I've lived in HK for 7 years and I would definitely not recommend visiting in August. It's so so hot, 95%+ humidity, wet and it's typhoon season. Don't do it, you won't enjoy it. October and November are the perfect time to visit as it's less humid, warm but not hot and generally dry.

SpicyTomatos Sun 01-Oct-17 04:57:39

You are talking about three of the safest big cities in the world there. I would make the selection based on weather (hot and humid for all of them in August), what you plan to do and how it fits with your beach plan.

PetrovaFossil1 Sun 01-Oct-17 05:47:37

I live in HK with a toddler. Also wouldn't recommend coming as it's either too hot and humid to be outside, or it's too wet.
Incredibly safe though!
Most of the expats with kids leave for the summer

Cantseethewoods Sun 01-Oct-17 06:13:35

Not HK. HK in the summer is to be tolerated rather than enjoyed and you can get weeks of non-stop rain. Of the three, I'd do Singapore. Much more fun for kids and you can get a ferry to Bintan or hop to Langkawi.

PuckeredAhole Sun 01-Oct-17 16:05:38

Langkawi looks stunning and there is a cable car which I love.

What's the best way to get there from Singapore?

Cantseethewoods Mon 02-Oct-17 04:01:28

It's an hour's flight from Singapore. I assume there is also a land route but it would take a long time.

tentative3 Mon 02-Oct-17 22:47:04

Another no vote for HK in August. Love the place, grew up there, it's grim at that time of year.

tellybear Tue 03-Oct-17 22:19:40

My bro, sil and their 2 kids (13yo & 10yo) were in HK in August and had a miserable time because of the heat. They were there visiting family, and have been many times but said it was way too hot.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in