Talk

Advanced search

Myanmar next Autumn

(12 Posts)
fluffypuck Thu 28-Sep-17 15:46:23

Have you been? Did you organise yourself or use a local guide?
I'm starting to plan a trip for DH and me next Autumn.
We'll have 3 weeks and are keen not to try and do too much, at least a couple of days in each place.
Mandalay and Bagan as well as some sort of river cruise are high on the agenda.
Any input would be welcome.

OP’s posts: |
SilverdaleGlen Thu 28-Sep-17 15:48:30

I'd say why are you supporting a country with tourism money that is currently investing in genocide?

JigglyTuff Thu 28-Sep-17 15:48:51

My input is that it is massively unethical to go to a country that is committing state- sanctioned genocide against an ethnic minority. Not to mention probably quite dangerous.

fluffypuck Thu 28-Sep-17 15:50:56

I may be wrong but I thought that if I choose wisely I'd be supporting the local economy rather than the government.

TwitterQueen1 Thu 28-Sep-17 15:51:43

I'm 100% in agreement with what Silver and Jiggly say ^.

IsabelleSE19 Thu 28-Sep-17 15:52:15

I would also not go near it at the moment because of the human rights issues, and the possibility that by next year that will have escalated in some way.

Could you look at somewhere else in the region like Vietnam, or are you set on Myanmar?

fluffypuck Thu 28-Sep-17 15:54:35

I'm listening to you and probably being naive.
Have been to many other places in SE Asia and the fact Myanmar holds a special appeal.

AttilaTheMeerkat Thu 28-Sep-17 19:19:37

What Silver and Jiggly wrote.

Would also suggest you read the FCO travel advice for Burma, the Health section makes for sobering reading.

ShanghaiDiva Fri 29-Sep-17 01:41:19

I've been to Yangon and organised it myself.
I have not read the fco health section, but anything requiring serious medical attention would probably require evacuation to Bangkok so make sure you have decent travel insurance.
Due to the current situation, I would not go bavk to Myanmar at the moment.
Have you considered Laos?

TravellingFleet Fri 29-Sep-17 06:03:31

Sorry, but when I was there a few years back on NGO work, it was very difficult not to be propping up the genocidal regime through tourist dollars. We did our best not to do this, as you can imagine, but even with a Myanmar expert found it hard. It was rather difficult and upsetting. Plus we boycotted Bagan because of the human rights abuses involved in turning it into a tourist site, which meant missing out one of the top destinations in the country!
I'd honestly skip the country at the moment and go somewhere happier where you can genuinely feel positive about your impact.

mummymeister Fri 29-Sep-17 09:47:09

Its a volatile country and whilst its in this state really just don't book a trip there for all the reasons above. You may find it difficult to get health or travel insurance as well. Loads of other places to see.

hifi Wed 21-Feb-18 14:49:21

check this thread, far more helpful.

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/longhaul/3144137-Myanmar-Burma

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in