Talk

Advanced search

Big trip ideas

(105 Posts)
dontcallmethatyoucunt Tue 26-Sep-17 18:26:38

I'm trying to plan for DH 50th and would like a family holiday that isn't 'standard'. I'm lacking inspiration and I'm always wowed jealous where other people go.

Hit me with your trip of a life time triumphs. We're active, like doing and looking, and flexible on location.

Thanks

CrabappleCake Tue 26-Sep-17 18:28:42

South Africa, great exchange route, food and wine fabulous and so interesting. No jet lag.

Japan, hard to find somewhere more different.

PeaceAndLove1 Tue 26-Sep-17 18:29:35

I've not been but the Big Sur in California, I fancy that! Driving along the coast, looks wonderful. Road trip!

dontcallmethatyoucunt Tue 26-Sep-17 18:37:21

South Africa always worries me... am I missing the point?!

Also Big Sur... I'm going to have to google that the shame

dontcallmethatyoucunt Tue 26-Sep-17 18:57:27

Missing the point i.e. Tell me I'm an idiot.

Japan is a good one too.

howsafeismytrip Tue 26-Sep-17 21:05:49

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

TheDonald Tue 26-Sep-17 21:08:57

We did Peru/ Galapagos for my 40th. Dd was 12 at the time. It was amazing.

ShotsFired Tue 26-Sep-17 21:19:39

Places like Zanzibar always sound so incredible.

All those little islands you see in the middle of nowhere too.

Or a massive fuck off safari, if that sort of thing floats your boat?

Ts27 Tue 26-Sep-17 21:21:48

South Africa all the way, went there for my husbands 40th in July- he is a South African living in London. We did safari at Kruger national park and I have to say it was the best experience of my life. Moved onto cale town after that and then my husbands home city. Garden route is on the list too.

Glitteryfrog Tue 26-Sep-17 21:26:36

Japan is amazing - totally nuts, but great.
You can travel by bullet train fairly cheaply.
We did Tokyo, Kyoto, Hiroshima and Osaka over about 10days.

dontcallmethatyoucunt Tue 26-Sep-17 21:43:33

What were the Galapagos like? Did you go on a cruise ship? Did you DD like it too?

2014newme Wed 27-Sep-17 08:56:21

South africa
Australia

lucydogz Wed 27-Sep-17 09:58:07

We had 3 weeks travelling round Japan last year. Loved it.
Another one was flying to Istanbul and taking a train to the top right hand corner (forgotten the name of the town). Spending 3 weeks travelling back through Turkey. So much to see and public transport excellent and people really friendly.

howsafeismytrip Wed 27-Sep-17 10:31:48

2014newme Wed 27-Sep-17 11:12:25

Turkey is a 4 hour flight though it's not a big trip

lucydogz Wed 27-Sep-17 14:36:24

I hear whar howsafe says about safety - we were there about 4 years ago, so things have probably changed. A great and unusual country to vist though.
It may by a short trip to Istanbul, but the train journey to Kars (I remember the name know) on the north east edge takes 2 days. Turkey is enourmous.

howsafeismytrip Wed 27-Sep-17 15:57:29

dontcallmethatyoucunt Wed 27-Sep-17 16:35:29

Turkey is a 4 hour flight though it's not a big trip

Well I suppose it may not be big on flight time, but if it was viable it sounds up there in the 'different and adventurous'. I went to Turkey about 30 years ago, but nothing so cool.

I suppose something a bit different appeals, but it's a big world and so many options.

MrsCaecilius Wed 27-Sep-17 16:51:36

So many options! Do you have kids? Ages?

Here are a few ideas:
- SE Asia: Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Burma - loads to see and do, good value, amazing food, friendly people (lived there so happy to answer more qus)
- Mongolia: if you want to go somewhere truly different, the wide open spaces of Mongolia are mind blowing. Definitely more about seeing and experiencing than specific sites. And you have to be comfortable roughing it to a degree.
- 'Stans (Uzbekistan, Kyrgyzstan): for amazing scenery, history, monuments etc.
- Africa: to push the boat out, safari in Botswana and islands off Mozambique. Amazing.
- Madagascar: wild life and scenery
- Colombia & Galapagos: landscape from Amazon to Andes, Caribbean to wide open spaces. Friendly people and on the cusp of popularity.

Getting itchy feet now!!

lucydogz Wed 27-Sep-17 17:08:33

Another great holiday was travelling round Cuba. An amazing place and somewhere that is bound to change dramatically, one way or the other, in the next decade. Again , public transport is good, in an odd sort of way, as there are 2 parallel systems, one for Cubans and one for tourists (same with the currency). If you do hire a car, it is expected that you pick up hitch hikers, who queue to be picked up. Sport and culture are very cheap.

dontcallmethatyoucunt Wed 27-Sep-17 17:09:11

Ooh now that's sounding good.

DD12 and 10 (by then)

Colombia would certainly be different, but actually most probably much safer now (??) I love the idea of an Amazon adventure too.

The 'Stans' had never occurred to me. Have you been or just fancy it MrsC How realistic do you think it would've for a family? Or am I being small minded?!

I think we'd like to self guide and not do an organised tour. We've travelled quite a bit under our own steam and roughing it isn't an issue staying in a room with broken shower and no glass in the windows at Easter was 'interesting'

SyrilSneer Wed 27-Sep-17 17:13:22

Peru and Bolivia 😍

howsafeismytrip Wed 27-Sep-17 17:17:30

howsafeismytrip Wed 27-Sep-17 17:18:15

lucydogz Wed 27-Sep-17 17:36:00

Yes, we got out of Havana very quickly. We didn't have time to do Vinales, but went round the section east of Havana. Cuba is very conveniently shaped, you basically go round in a big circle .
I really want to go back and do the Vinales area.
Another plus is that the revolutionary history is so interesting and well presented.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: